Thread: Helmet Lights?

Forum Member

Default Helmet Lights?

Looking for a good, bright, small flashlight that mounts on my helmet brim. I have always used the disposable Garrity light under the big rubber band, but I'm tired of it getting knocked off, plus, it's not that bright. Lately, I'm seeing more and more of these little LED helmet mounted lights, and was wondering if it was worth switching?

P.S- Forgive me if this has been discussed, my search feature doesn't feel like cooperating today.

Forum Member

UK4AA with mount for about $25. I've had one for years, works great. They have an LED version, but I have the old style. Please excuse the pic with the wrong color salad bowl helmet. Found it listed at Chief Supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the Pelican series. Buy the metal clips to attach to your helmet. The plastic doesn't seem to like the heat much
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

gunnyv, does the light in that pic have a push button switch in back, or a slide switch?

Forum Member

To be honest, I haven't found a helmet light yet that'll stand up to any kind of heat. I've tried several over the years, and they all end up failing (melting) at some point. I only use the Garrity LifeLite now, as they're cheap to replace and about as durable as any of the others.

I believe they (Garrity) now have a disposable LED LifeLite. I may have to give it a try. I like the illumination and the white light LED's emit.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    gunnyv, does the light in that pic have a push button switch in back, or a slide switch?
    Mine turns on/off by turning the head. I think the newest ones have a push button.

Forum Member

Default Garrity disposable LED

Garrity does make a new disposable LED light. I have one now, and quite like it. It's a little better than the regular LifeLite in the smoke, and it casts a decent amount of light out. I've found myself using this more than my handlight, as it's enough to get the job done. The price isn't bad either, they retail for about five bucks.

Forum Member

Another vote for the UK4AA, i have one on both of my helmets, they've become dept issue. both of mine twist on/off at the head, which i'd rather have than a push button, i can still turn the head with gloves on. The UK4AA mount i have, you can take it off quickly to use it as a handlight, no screws or anything to lose, but yet once in the mount it will NOT come out without human input.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    Looking for a good, bright, small flashlight that mounts on my helmet brim. I have always used the disposable Garrity light under the big rubber band, but I'm tired of it getting knocked off, plus, it's not that bright. Lately, I'm seeing more and more of these little LED helmet mounted lights, and was wondering if it was worth switching?

P.S- Forgive me if this has been discussed, my search feature doesn't feel like cooperating today.
    hELLO callaway75, I think i can maybe help you out. Im only an explorer but www.thefirestore.com and www.galls.com have a variety of selections and pictures of lights, LEDs and mounts. Hope you find one.-dusty55

Forum Member

Buy a real light! Those mickey mouse helmet lights dont work at all, you need one thats going to lead the way. Some guys like that Vulcan Light and I have used the FD1 Light from Advanced Lighthing for 5 years without incident. I may pick up a LED Survivor light to lighten my load, but I think Ill always carry my Big Light, it gets lonely on that roof!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Buy a real light! Those mickey mouse helmet lights dont work at all, you need one thats going to lead the way. Some guys like that Vulcan Light and I have used the FD1 Light from Advanced Lighthing for 5 years without incident. I may pick up a LED Survivor light to lighten my load, but I think Ill always carry my Big Light, it gets lonely on that roof!
    You forgot to mention that nobody likes getting shined in the eyes with the light on somebody elses helmet.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

I'm a flashlight nut. Flashlightreviews.com is a great source of info. I've been following it for years. I have cheap lights and I have lights that cost >$200. If you want more info than anyone can handle then check out www.candlepowerforums.com. (i have no afiliation with either)

I'm thinking about getting the UK 4AA Fire with helmet clip. Or, get a helmet clip for my Streamlight 4AA Luxeon LED.

clipse
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    I'm a flashlight nut. Flashlightreviews.com is a great source of info. I've been following it for years. I have cheap lights and I have lights that cost >$200. If you want more info than anyone can handle then check out www.candlepowerforums.com. (i have no afiliation with either)

I'm thinking about getting the UK 4AA Fire with helmet clip. Or, get a helmet clip for my Streamlight 4AA Luxeon LED.

clipse
    I would get a clip for your Streamlight, that is the model that everyone on my dept uses and we love them. Like Rook said, go with the metal clip, not some cheap plastic one.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505 View Post
    I would get a clip for your Streamlight, that is the model that everyone on my dept uses and we love them. Like Rook said, go with the metal clip, not some cheap plastic one.

Now I just need to find a metal clip.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

Forum Member

Found a metal clamp for my Streamlight. Got it ordered. Now hopefully it'll be here before the next Meeting.

Forum Member

I use a pelican recoil mounted on my helmet. Have broken the plastic and torn up the metal mounts. I finally found one that has worked really well. Its called a blackjack mount. Fits really well and puts the flashlight tight up under the brim so it wont catch anything. That was always a problem with the top mount. Another guy on the department just got the same mount and he seems to like it also. Just my $.02 and your right nothing replaces the big flashlight for visibility!

Forum Member

never found much use for helmet lights. had one when i was a probie, used it a few times. it was worthless, although it was not LED(not sure how well they work). but like someone mentioned, whenever i turned to the boss, he got a light right in his face. at a job it did nothing. i bought a large hand held light with a strap. some guys wear them over their shoulder, or around the waist. what ever works for you, but at least it gives me some visibilty in a charged room or hallway, or up on a roof at night. just my experience.

ps. the light i have is very sturdy, gets banged around alot, and cost $140, probably could've got the same one cheaper, i'm not much of a bargain hunter.
    be safe.

Forum Member

too much crap on your helmet could hang you up
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

jonnyirons2, Borrowed the Vulcan w/led's on back from a buddy going off shift yesterday morning, and you weren't kidding, big light is the way to go. Lit up a shi##y basement last night like giants stadium. Haven't used a big light in a while because our old litebox's sucked and were too big, no straps, poor light, but made good door chocks. My "mickey mouse" garrity light does suck, really good for finding the rolaids in your locker in the middle of the night though. Have an old survivor that still works pretty good,although I have been curious about the LED survivor, haven't seen one yet, just trying to find out if any of these new small led helmet lights were any good?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a garrity LED life light on my helmet and it's horrible in smoke, it doesn't penetrate the smoke at all. The only thing the light is good for is use at night, but even then if you have it on your helmet you blind everyone you look at.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jensam433 View Post
    I would agree with that, I don't understand why you'd want a light up there anyway, why would it be any better?

Forum Member

I personaly use the Streamlight rubber band to attach my 4AA light to my helmet. If I need to use it as a hand light it comes out real easy and reattaches just as easy. The band holds wedges too. It also keep the light close to the helmet, instead of out to the side like a brim mount.

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by jensam433 View Post
    So could that pretty little front holder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SubWay1 View Post
    I would agree with that, I don't understand why you'd want a light up there anyway, why would it be any better?
    So you don't have to use your hands to hold a light, and wherever you look you have light.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information