Thread: Harsh Reminder

Forum Member

Default Harsh Reminder

on 12/30/06 while working a training burn about 3 hours into and 5 or 6 burns we recieved this page.

PHILLIP TOWNSEND 32 YOA FIREFIGHTER WITH DENNISON FD WAS KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY TODAY WHEN AN OVERHANG COLLAPSED ON HIM -HE IS MARRIED WITH SMALL KIDS. NO INFORMATION ON SERVICES AT THIS TIME.

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=5875238

We continued with the training but a little more aware of the old house we where burning. Was the little reminder we needed but still difficult to absorb.
    Shortly after that we had a section of roof collapse on the safety team and cleared them with no injuries before continuing. I have been on our Dept about 9 months, tripped on average 22 calls per month. Hope to remember I am not invincible when I go to a structure fire every time. Bless you all here!

Mike

Forum Member

I'm not sure how far this is gotten in the investigation and punishment but a couple years ago when I'd been on my department for 9 months,I was told about Paducah's FD having a training burn with no engine on site,just a 2" line on a hydrant,no safety officer,just an officer and 3 probies going inside.
    The job is dangerous enough without people making it worse during training.Most of my old department held the opinion that any officer that would use that setup for training needs to be ....dealt with.
    It is an unfortunate fact that even during training all the safety precautions won't keep injuries and deaths from occuring.To reduce the chance,of that,all hands need to be alert and aware of what is going on and what can go wrong.
    Be safe,and go home at the end of the call are the only two things that I know for sure I will do when the tones drop either at my old department or one I am considering here in W.Tennessee.

Forum Member

I may not have been clear, We where at a training fire/burn, he was killed at a actual fire in a neighboring county. Just when we got the page informing us of it, it was ironic and made at least me think real hard.

Thread Information