MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Gozy12 : How about you guys over there put your fires out before they send that stuff to our land fill... 12 hours standing on a pile of trash ( A BIG PILE OF TRASH) spraying water on the sweet smell of Sh** is not my idea of fun.. Guess the guy responsable for your fire got a 2 for one special.... Glad you boys could share your fires with us, but next time try to keep it in the truck (truck fire ) instead of our whole land fill....... 2 1/2 acres of burning whatever was a little much before breakfast....4:02am We had some fun, single man 2 1/2's with lots of heavy equipment working to keep it out of the woods..... In hindsite we had a great time out there, so were not to ******..... but still try to put the fires out before you send the trash to the DUMP... Thanks ....LOL
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    Hey Gozy12 : How about you guys over there put your fires out before they send that stuff to our land fill... 12 hours standing on a pile of trash ( A BIG PILE OF TRASH) spraying water on the sweet smell of Sh** is not my idea of fun.. Guess the guy responsable for your fire got a 2 for one special.... Glad you boys could share your fires with us, but next time try to keep it in the truck (truck fire ) instead of our whole land fill....... 2 1/2 acres of burning whatever was a little much before breakfast....4:02am We had some fun, single man 2 1/2's with lots of heavy equipment working to keep it out of the woods..... In hindsite we had a great time out there, so were not to ******..... but still try to put the fires out before you send the trash to the DUMP... Thanks ....LOL

Yea, Sorry about that. I was at that fire for about 5 or 6 hours before my truck was cleared. It ended up being a 12 hour call, our runoff was bright green so we had to shut down operations. We thought we had a haz mat on our hands but it just ended up being some highly concentrated non toxic dye. Bun hey, I'm glad we could share with you guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya No prob... We had fun... Next time give us a heads up so we can be pro-active and get to it before it gets big again.... Later and Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

hey Gozy what are you guys doing over there. Thats about 1 fire a day adv for the last week... Thanks for saving my locksmiths place.... why don't you guys share the pitch some our way.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea, it got kinda busy there. We had three house fires in one shift, the second fire happened literally 20 seconds after we got back to the station form the first one. And then the shift after that we had the dump fire. I'm not sure if their have been any other fires since then, I'm on my 6 off so I'm out of the loop right now.

Oh yea, and we did pitch one your way, if it wasn't for us your landfill wouldn't have burned.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello all fellow wisconsinites

MembersZone Subscriber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey JcCrabby... We are doing the trench tech class right now, with Collapse in july at the volk, Have you gone to the volk yet or is this in your schedule??

Any word on negotiations with the state yet???

Forum Member

Hey Plisken,

I get to go to Volk in October and November for collapse training. I had a chance to go in summer, but decided it may be better if it is a little cooler out for that. Cooler for me would be like temps you get daily

As for hearing from state, there was a meeting last Friday, but I was unable to go. Don't know if there is new word, but should hear something when I go to Trench.

When are you going to Volk?

I still may have to get up to the Duluth-Superior area this summer. Can't really afford going all over. I may have to stop in at some point.

Stay safe brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey JC: I go in July back to back weeks, It will be like going to florida for me, Thin the blood up a little and get rid of last winters fat stores. Broke the 190 ,mark OH Sh** im FAT: maybe get a tan::: we are 1/2 through trench for the second time in two years but I guess that will be our speciality, broken between us and eau claire... Getting up here, still to cold for you southern boys, you might melt, get frost bite, or hypothermia... With gas the way it is I blew my allowance turkey hunting... Going to be short trips with the boat... well before you come up e-mail me: It might be nice to put a face with the chat.. later
    Last edited by plisken; 05-27-2007 at 03:00 AM.

Forum Member

thanks for the email...but aww shucks..now I feel unwanted

Anyway, I'll look you up before going.

Another thing though about the trench. You stated you think that will be your specialty. We are with Appleton, Neenah-Menasha and Oshkosh for our task force. So far, there has been no discussion as to anyone having a specialty. Heck we don't even have specialties for the guys within our own dept. I just feel like a jack of all trades right now. Nothing wrong with that, but I know I'm stronger in some areas of tech over others, so specialties would be nice to have. Also, right now, we don't even know how a response will go out, so that still has to be worked out. As another guy put it...It is like building a four story building, but the foundation isn't in place yet. We get all this training, but don't know how we'll respond if needed. Just wondering if it like that for the northwest as well?

MembersZone Subscriber

We are with Eau Claire, us, Reinlander. The speciality is because we were equipted prior to the whole team thing, I am sure it is not set in stone, and I know the Jack feeling, Overload....

MembersZone Subscriber

what are you a OWL, its late!!!!! Im doing a 48 in the hall so I am waiting for the flood gates to open. Then catch a nap tommarrow.....

MembersZone Subscriber

This is just word of mouth... because of the distance between the players in our team, I have heard we are going to give each department a sub speciality to lessen the burdon of cash and on going trng... Since we can't train together due to the 2 hrs travel, we will each have the sub group... we still have to be Jacks and trained in all the aspects of the usar requirements... We currently have a reagonal HAzmat, Confined space multi county agreement, and are the only trench equipt department north of rice lake to the U.P. some place. Not much between you and I except trees....Haven't heard much about response yet... Last I heard was they were going to take the HAZMAT Agreement wording, Change HAZMAT to USAR and follow the same proceedures that hazmat responses do...The teared response..... This is not official in any way shape or form, Just what I Have heard.....I have no Idea what OJA and the state are doing about implimentation of the teams. Respose area, activation ? But I must say I love the training.... Things we don't do to often, fun stuff, hands on destruction. Makes us better all around.... well got to hit the hay... Catch you later.. I will be up around noon today.... be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Task Force Teams

Not 100% sure, but willing to bet that to mobilize a Task Force Team in Wisconsin will require a call to the State Duty Officer. He in turn will call out the teams and they will respond within their region with one platoon and one platoon to follow hours later for relief. Expect each team and all members to be up on all specialities, especially heavy duty collapse, seeing there are only 4 teams in the state. They should work with local capacity teams that are already in place. It wouldn't be smart to kick them off the rubble pile.

Working outside of the state will require an EMAC request and this may slow down the callout process. I hope not!

They should also be capable of responding in their own jurisdiction, as a local team, to handle all areas and specialities of technical rescue, not just heavy collapse.

We will see if I have it right or not? I have to agree about having the building without the foundation statement. I think the governor needs to make sure that the foundation is in place for years to come and support these teams with sustaining funds. Not sure if that is in his budget? If this is built on homeland security funds, those funds will dry up soon for the State of Wisconsin, I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    thanks for the email...but aww shucks..now I feel unwanted

Anyway, I'll look you up before going.

Another thing though about the trench. You stated you think that will be your specialty. We are with Appleton, Neenah-Menasha and Oshkosh for our task force. So far, there has been no discussion as to anyone having a specialty. Heck we don't even have specialties for the guys within our own dept. I just feel like a jack of all trades right now. Nothing wrong with that, but I know I'm stronger in some areas of tech over others, so specialties would be nice to have. Also, right now, we don't even know how a response will go out, so that still has to be worked out. As another guy put it...It is like building a four story building, but the foundation isn't in place yet. We get all this training, but don't know how we'll respond if needed. Just wondering if it like that for the northwest as well?

Forum Member

Thanks for the update. I know we for one really want to have response and operations defined sooner than later. I understand the training part and being knowledgable in all aspects, but you always have people stronger in one area vs another. It would just be nice to have things defined. As for responses, a big kicker for us was the Ellison Bay explosion in Door County. We were the closest TF team and were not called in, yet a neighboring volunteer dept did get called. I'm not sure about their training, but do know there are no members of that dept on the TF. The one time we were deployed was to recover Lt Wolff. That went smooth, but it was only our dept there.

Just would be nice to have the definations in place as to when, and how to respond. Tornado season is upon us and we are a disaster away from responding. Hopefully we learn this stuff sooner than later, I'd hate to get called out without knowing how things are to roll.

MembersZone Subscriber

Understand Bro.... As for us most of the our team members are comming from eau claire, I guess that is why we will break up tasks.... We will still have to be trained in all aspects but they will have all the heavy stuff.. Knowing how the deployment is going to happen and the criteria for that deployment would be nice... Otherwise we just train, weither the USAR teams accually get off the ground is yet to be scene, Will the money dry up, will it remain funded at the state level? Yet it is nice to have the training and equipment if you need it... Trench was cool today L and T trenchs, Strong backs/ walers/ and shoring... Fun, fun, fun, at least it frees us up from inspections.... I UNDERSTAND YOU FRUSTRATIONS WITH THE DOOR COUNTY INCIDENT. I guess it is still up the the incident commander as to who will play....I firgure the state will now have the power to dictate who will play from now on. I think alot of that will get steightened out when the chiefs and team reps figure out how this is going to work to enforce the call up...I guess all we can do is wait and speculate....

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey JC... Did you receive a new fire boat from OJA? we had ours out today, what a slug...... It says fire rescue but only goes 15mph, we cover about 26 miles of water, guess if you fall in next to the boat we will rescue you, if your a ways away, keep holding your breath.....Glad to see fyred up back still wonder about Jasper.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Golzy12: Im starting to feel like we are your academy, stop taking our firefighters, we are even for S.S.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Sorry, I don't choose who we hire... I'm sure there are some people who aren't to thrilled that your guys are coming to Duluth, I think we only took one guy from you for this next class.

Forum Member

Default Regarding Ellison Bay

Hey Guys,

Saw your comments about the propane explosions in Ellison Bay last July. A good friend of mine is a Lt. with the SB-LG Fire Dept. and took me around the site a few weeks after the explosions. From what I was told about the event from someone who was there from the start, what I saw during my visit to the site and the photos and videos I saw of the event, there was no need for any USAR type operations. Why would they have activated a Task Force?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    Hey JC... Did you receive a new fire boat from OJA? we had ours out today, what a slug...... It says fire rescue but only goes 15mph, we cover about 26 miles of water, guess if you fall in next to the boat we will rescue you, if your a ways away, keep holding your breath.....Glad to see fyred up back still wonder about Jasper.....
    Yep, we got one...didn't know if it would ever come. There was a backorder yadayadayada more delays etc, and only one mfg...what's up with that? Anyway, we got our boat about a year late just in time for winter once the mfg heard the grant money was going to run out. It was put in the water about a month ago, but had to go for repairs because there was the wrong throttle lever for the boat. Anyway, I haven't been on it yet...we'll have to see.

I like the water coverage stuff too. More waterfront area than most communities and up until this boat we had a 16 ft. Also had a couple train bridge fires too, which that boat is not a platform for. We don't cover into the bay of GB, that is Coast Guard, then the Sheriff and GBPD have their boats as well. We'll see though...we get quite a few jumpers we have to fish for. So as for rescue capability...hard to say how it will work, I'm sure it will make a fine recovery boat.

Also, yes nice to see Fyred Up back and hopefully Jasper returns soon. I like his perspective on his favorite alderman. Scary though...The Wisconsin boys are being targeted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CANFF2706 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Saw your comments about the propane explosions in Ellison Bay last July. A good friend of mine is a Lt. with the SB-LG Fire Dept. and took me around the site a few weeks after the explosions. From what I was told about the event from someone who was there from the start, what I saw during my visit to the site and the photos and videos I saw of the event, there was no need for any USAR type operations. Why would they have activated a Task Force?
    I would say it is based more upon the principle of the fact. Our state has been pushing hard to have USAR teams and such. The task forces are narrowed down to so many depts taking care of a region of the state. Then you have some small volunteer depts getting big money grants from the Feds or state and have state of the art Heavy Rescue trucks, yet the task force teams are lucky to have a trailer.

So when you get a situation like Ellison Bay, very high profile, lots of coverage etc. There were several buildings collapsed and there was possiblity of people trapped (early reports). Maybe there was not a need to deploy a TF team, but I think it would help the state say to the feds etc...that the teams are utilized. Otherwise why have a TF if we are letting every dept take care of everything despite any type of specialty. Just would have been a good way to justify the training and having a TF system if they were deployed for what they were designed for. Otherwise we have a lot of nice equipment that will never get used.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey JC.... our boat is broken, took a couple times out but we did it......something in the engine is not allowing it to reach speed.... I guess we are sending it in... My mistake 96 total miles of shore 26 as the crow flys....Havent figured out how to stay in one place and spray water, keep getting pushed back due to the deck gun... Can pump and roll though (cool)but the hover is tricky... Guess i will have to take up Vidio games to get use to it.. It will get used as our Dive/recovery platform mostly...we still have our coast guard fleet zodiak,14' lund and a few others... waters to low to put in at the ramps that would help us....well be safe and catch ya later

Forum Member

Gentlemen,

I have been catching up on a few things and I noticed some chatter about 5 station in Duluth. I am currently assigned there so I can answer some of them. Yes there are alot of stories about it being haunted and I have had some strange things happen while I have been working here. They can probably be explained away but it just adds to the intrigue of the station. Yes we have a spider infestation. Not as bad as in previous years because we took drastic measures last year to rid ourselves. Yes we are getting a new station. It will either be on the existing site or down the street at Layfette Square with the community. The plans are being drawn up as we speak. Yes we are getting a new rig. It will either be a F550 or a GMC 5500 chassis or something similar. I will let you know when we make the decision. Yes we only have 1 person per 24 hr shift. No we are not the only one in the country, I know of a few more in Pennsylvania , but I think we might be the largest department that has a station with only 1. We have three other stations of the 9 that have only 2 per 24. Yes we are asking for another person per 24 in the 2008 budget , but with all of the stuff happening at the capital I dought we will get it. I think that was all of them if you have any more please feel free to let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey rig guy... Next time i'm on the point I will try to catch ya again and not get in trouble... Go to see ya again though,, Be safe down there....

Thread Information