Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

There you go pilskin, ask and you shall receive. I got to goto that fire, and when we were having issues with the water supply I asked my captain if your boat was up and running, he then called the AC who called you. It was cool to see, the Duluth news tribune actually wrote a fair amount about your boat in the latest article about the fire. I was hoping to see you there, but didn't. We'll get together one of these times on a fire. I like the Duluth patch joke, one of your guys who came over on the boat jokingly said he wanted a Duluth fire application.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    Jey JC. We Got to use our new boat at a fire in Duluth today. Our BC called in a crew to run it instead of using a on duty crew.. I guess the things work well... We don't have it running 100% but it worked good there... Duluths Chief was Impressed.... Have you got to use yours Yet?
    Nice to hear you got to use the boat. Sounds like Golzy made the call for you guys. That is more use than ours has gotten. I think if the rumors are true, ours has spent more time out of the water than in it. Bad thing is there is a slip for it at the Days Inn downtown. They did use it for the Bayfest fireworks though.

Well Thanks Golzy... I should have been driving it, we had it hooked up and ready to go prior to your request.... Expecting a call.. when it came our B/C call in some off duty guys, so my crew missed out, oh well... Sounds like the owner was none to happy, The telegram made it sound like the boat did everything and put us on a silver platter....We know its BS but still we made the paper for a fire even though it wasn't ours... We have had 4 fires in 5 shifts and not a word until this one.... Thanks for the suggestion to the capt, if it will help make the call....Well if you need our help give us a call, I know for some it is hard to swollow but still we like working with you guys.... we thought the patch idea would be funny, well be safe and catch you later......
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

What was that about a telegram? Did he send one to Superior? That fire was just a bad situation in general, we wanted to draft but there was no access to the lake because stuff was piled up all around the edge of the water, and the closest hydrant was 2900 feet away (we ended up laying that much yellow). we actually only lost about 150 sq feet of building and saved around 800 sq feet, so it wasn't a complete loss. The owner still was not happy, which I can understand, he lost his business, that is a shame.

No the Telegram is the soup town news paper!!... I talked to C.L. at 5 sta. the next morning to catch the scoup..... Sounds like you guys had alot of LDH to rack... Are you sure they were joking about the applications??(ha,ha) It was quick thinking by lane to come up with that answer.... Well at least things went as well as expected.... Next time the owner might think about a Hydrant near the place,not wait so long to call, or maybe put in sprinklers...
    Still not much you can do with the curcumstances faced.... Good Job though, the whole slip didn't burn up, kept super wood, and the 850' building to the north... well some day well run into each other at a scene..... later
    Last edited by plisken; 06-25-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Ya JC understand, once we get ours fixed, we might keep it in the water, it would speed things up a bit... I wonder how the zebra muscles are going to affect it once they find a new home in the jet... we learned alot, putting the fittings for a handline and rubber hose (25 footers) on it, big rope to tie off so you don't have to dick with the hover....(you can back away and have the rope hold you) and changing the 5" storz to 4 " storz with a wye so you can operate the deck gun and a handline.....otherwise it worked better than we all gave it credit for..... Hows the action in GB land??? we have been busy 5 fires in 6 shifts, we call it busy you might call it a normal duty day!!.... Well its hot up here for our standards but who's complaining, winter will be here in a month or two, Don't forget to drop a e-mail if you get up this way..... Later

Forum Member

Yep Plisken,

I'll drop an email before heading up. I would like to get up there again soon. So as for the jobs go I have to think a bit. We have had a couple arson fires around and a lot of nuisance fires, but nothing to big that I can recall. I've also been off for several days and enjoying my time away from the station. Yet, strangely I feel compelled to check on here and see what is going on.

Take brother, and I'll shoot you an email before travelling.

I'll be deploying to Camp Douglas/Volk Field Wisconsin for 2 months (July 2 to Aug. 30) to support Aircraft testing as an ARFF member with the 148th Fighter Wing. Looks like i'm the only one going..

-Damien

Well Dfurtman I guess I will see you their, Three of us will be there 7/16-7/19, and 7/23-7/26 for USAR training on the north side, Maybe well hook up for a beer.

Forum Member

Hey Plisken,

Heard some updates on our boat for you. First off, I guess the name of it now is the S.S. Litterbox. Kind of full of s**t. It has been to the shop quite a few times and never really used. It was taken out one day twice and the second time, barely made it back. So anyway, hopefully the quirkes get worked out, otherwise I informed our deputy chief where we can get a replacement...

Take care and hope to travel northwest soon.

Hey Rig Guy and Golzy: According to the paper the new 5 station will have room for a gut bucket? Is their something you guys are not telling us? is this going to be a G.C. box or a fire based box in the station. You all know we are waiting for you guys to put the pinch on G.C. so we can better our services with fire/ems... Just wondering? Keep us informed if there is a hint of a pinch move because we are interested (or talk) in doing the same on this side of the bay....Also tell FNG. R.M. sorry for the damage to his inlaws place..Cost of doing business.. I worked with him in St.Cloud, good guy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    Well Dfurtman I guess I will see you their, Three of us will be there 7/16-7/19, and 7/23-7/26 for USAR training on the north side, Maybe well hook up for a beer.
    sounds great!.. We're running 24 hour 1 day on 1 day off schedule with a kelly every 6 shifts.. so I'll be working at the station on 7/16 and 7/18 and 7/24 and 7/26.. Drop by and i'll show ya around and we can plan on a beer.

-Damien

Default Hey Jasper

Dam Bud, You are going to have a Great time at USAR. It was F***ing awsome if your into Tools, Distruction, Comfined Spaces with power tools and Jack hammers. Building Sh**, and just working hard.. We had a blast working with other departments (partied hard also). The Pile is Kick A**, Cutting torches in confined spaces and busting everything.... As I said a dam good time.....Food isnt the best but it makes a turd...beers cold though, You go in Sept? should be a bit cooler than ours.... So whats New? met a few of your boys there (good Guys) we all had fun.... Be safe

Forum Member

Hey plisken,

I think that was a misprint. I heard that the chief got a call first thing in the morning about that article from Stauber. I talked with the deputy on the way down to customfire ( new 8 Engine ) the other day and he said we are going to have an independent study like St Pauls and it might come up then. However with the way the city is going financially I doubt it will happen. I think that the remodel of 5's and the new engine are still a go. Something about capital money being a different pot. Hopefully things are going good with you and the family. Stay in touch and stay safe.

Hey Rig Guy. I stopped and got the skinny, The future? sounds like a way to get a indoor parking spot for the POV if you ask me.. Hows the new 5 engine comming, did I read that right , Custom got the Bid? I was at the inlaws and see the police got the go ahead to patrol the beach on 4 wheelers, any chance that opens the door to beach responces via a 4x4 type unit? Well my family keeps me busy, the boys are gettign big and the battles are starting (turf wars) how are the girls? BE SAFE OVER THERE and keep me informed if I don't catch you instation some time soon. Later

If all goes according to plan, I should be teaching at the fire school at LSC. We should all plan to meet at Grandmas for a few....dozen.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Grandma's sounds fun. What are you going to be teaching up here in the northland?

A tactics class for the state fire school. This will be our 3rd year and it's been a lot of fun. It gets a real great mix of students from all size departments and it keeps me on my toes to stay on top of things!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

plisken,

As for the response on the beach the next 5 engine will be 4x4. We are discussing either a GMC 5500 chassis or a Freightliner M2 100 series chassis. Both have low profile 19.5" tires, 4 x 4 and several other goodies. It would be nice to get the big red ford in the garage here once in a while. At least during bad weather. After the spring blizzard I had to have 3 coil packs replaced on my truck due to them shorting out from all of the snow packed inder the hood. We were at Customfire the other day for 8 Engine, 5 Engine will not be bid until the budget is set for next year, and who knows when that will be. We are looking at plans for the new station next year though. I guess that is already set money. It looks like it will be very nice with a planned completion of November 2008. Stop by any time the big red ford is parked outside. Girls are doing good. Oldest 3 are in soccer with 2 playing on the same night, so we have to be in 2 places at once. Still working on the house and keeping busy. Talk to you later and stay safe.

Hey Rum: sounds good, let us know when your in town.....

Thread Information