+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
    the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    Dam Bud, You are going to have a Great time at USAR. It was F***ing awsome if your into Tools, Distruction, Comfined Spaces with power tools and Jack hammers. Building Sh**, and just working hard.. We had a blast working with other departments (partied hard also). The Pile is Kick A**, Cutting torches in confined spaces and busting everything.... As I said a dam good time.....Food isnt the best but it makes a turd...beers cold though, You go in Sept? should be a bit cooler than ours.... So whats New? met a few of your boys there (good Guys) we all had fun.... Be safe

Sorry I missed this post. Yeah, I was up there early on, back in April, just to check things out. I've been a collapse technician for 11 years now, and teach collapse at a different facility in the mid-west.
    I will have to disagree with you though, it's really nothing but a Doyle screw up, there. It could have been great, but our beloved governor never let it be what it could have been. It doesn't accomplish anything that they pretend to have wanted out of it. It also does nothing but give everyone a false sense of security in the class. It really isn't a technician program up there.

I'm glad you had a good time, and made good money, and yes, the beer is always cold!

I don't mean to be negative, but this is a program our governor completely dropped the ball on. The leadership there up there needs to go. Maybe we'll talk about it over a beer sometime. Keep it safe.
    Last edited by jasper45; 11-14-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Forum Member

Just got back from the pile and I have to say I did learn some things and did have some fun. Overall I agree with you Jasper, that things could be better. While one may learn things and get an understanding, unless one really uses the skills, they will forget it. One of the differences between ops and tech was that they really weren't used together. Basically there was no real shoring going on when in the pile and really no shifting loads etc. While it gave you a basic overview of what one would have to do, it is nothing like if the real thing happened. Kind of like you have "enough" info to get you by, but not enough to make one proficient.

Although there was talk there about funding being there for 3 seperate 72 hour deployments, where each task force goes in for a big training scenario. Sounds good to me, but one of the big problems, at the state level, there is no real info on how the teams will get deployed. How things will work, what will be needed, is equipment and training standardized, where the TF's get deployed, just state or even federal level, etc. Just a lot of questions, but no real answers. In a sense, it is like building a 6 story building before the foundation is set. We have all this training, but no real idea how things will actually work.

Like I said, I learned stuff, but I also know that I won't be seeing much actual training at the dept level to keep up with everything. I am glad that I am finally done with all the certification classes for this year, been a long year, but the money helps. Well take care gents, and maybe will see you on the next training.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Although there was talk there about funding being there for 3 seperate 72 hour deployments, where each task force goes in for a big training scenario. Sounds good to me, but one of the big problems, at the state level, there is no real info on how the teams will get deployed. How things will work, what will be needed, is equipment and training standardized, where the TF's get deployed, just state or even federal level, etc. Just a lot of questions, but no real answers. In a sense, it is like building a 6 story building before the foundation is set. We have all this training, but no real idea how things will actually work.

Thats about what I was trying to say. The training is not all bad, it's just not as good as it could, or should be. The real problem is with how the regional task forces are set up. All the money spent so far, and we're light years behind other states.
    Like I said before, enjoy the pay checks, and the beer. lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree but one must crawl before one walks. It is a start to something that could be very great but the funding and dedication must be there. As for calling it a Tech class, Not even close,. but it at least gives people a Idea of what is involved, Now it is also up to us to try and continue the education that goes along with it. The whole deal should not have been done through OJA (my opinion) but as I said, it is a start. The whole rules of deployment, contracts, and the other stuff hopefuly will get figured out. I thought it was fun, and a learning experiance. The best was working with the other departments from around the state. I learned alot of stuff from the other agencies that were there, But I agree having 8 days of training does not even scratch the surface. yet if it happened tomarrow, we would have a better idea now than we did 5 yrs ago, that showed with our confined space incident. We will have to see what the future holds. But something is better than nothing, and we got a lot of great tools out of the deal.
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

the 4-1-4

That's really what ****es me off about the entire program, the lack of long term planning with it. The funding has been there since 2002, and Doyle sat on it, and gave a few political paybacks for his campaign. That's what OJA was really about.

It should be a crime with how the money was mismanaged. Look at what has happened at Volk with in the last year and a half, and then think about what could have happened if that part of the plan was implemented almost 5 years ago.
    Please don't take my criticism of the program as directed at you guys. It's entirely at the management of it. We, as a state, had a chance to develop an incredible program, that works - and we fumbled the ball. I am glad you guys took a lot out of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand where your comming from bro, This has been going on for a long time and has been very slow getting there. Yes progress has been slow but there has been some movement, not much but some. I would be suprised if we ever see the entire task force program fully up and running. Funds will dry up like always or the state will **** it away, or they will cut it because it will be to costly. All I can say is even if it doesn't get off the ground, we got alot of training, resources and equipment out of the deal....which we could not have gotten within our current budget.. It will be interesting to see what happens to the hazmat teams and if those remain funded at the current level.
    Dam I hate politicians......
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Worldwide Menace

hey guys.. i'm still alive.. just staying low.. I'll be home for cable.. Just finished up my DoD Haz-Mat Technician and Pumper Driver/Operator courses and just about to test for my Mobile Water Supply course.

-Damien

Forum Member

Hey guys.
    I live in so, milwaukee and recently got hired as poc.I should start training first week in jan.I can't wait to meet the guys and get started..

bob

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by robertmm View Post
    Hey guys.
    I live in so, milwaukee and recently got hired as poc.I should start training first week in jan.I can't wait to meet the guys and get started..

bob
    I work there. It's a great place to be. The full timers are all pretty old and have seen a lot of action. So you will get a lot of good training. You and your group will probably be training on your own for the first couple of weeks. Then you will join the other POC's every Saturday. I forgot what we needed to do before we got pagers. It will take a couple months of training and then a ladder test where they have you do single-man raises before you can report to the scene of a fire. Looks like I'll see you soon though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I work there. It's a great place to be. The full timers are all pretty old and have seen a lot of action. So you will get a lot of good training. You and your group will probably be training on your own for the first couple of weeks. Then you will join the other POC's every Saturday. I forgot what we needed to do before we got pagers. It will take a couple months of training and then a ladder test where they have you do single-man raises before you can report to the scene of a fire. Looks like I'll see you soon though.
    Thanks.
    Man, i have so many questions to ask about all the little details for poc's.
    Do you live IN s,milw or near by?

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Oak Creek. Just PM me any questions that you have and I would be glad to answer.

Forum Member

pm sent.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information