Forum Member

Default 24 hour shifts. Need input before voting.

Our membership will soon be voting on changing our hours of work,from the traditional 2-10 hr. days / 2-14 hr. nights,followed by 4 days off, to instead ,24 hrs. on, 24 hrs. off, 24 hrs. on, with 5 days off. The members seem equally divided into two groups. There are those who would love to save the fuel with half the commutes ,and vote in favor of 24 hr. shifts. These members generally live the furthest from work. The members who are against 24 hr. shifts, typically are young dads,concerned they will have less opportunitys to coach their kids, and special occassions like birthdays and Christmas would be missed entirely.Myself,i'm worried about the few anal taxpayers who figure we're not working hard enough. I also recently heard that some of our local law enforcement officers are choked that we sometimes sleep on the job,and think the beds should be removed. Sure hope that topic disappears. Please weigh-in, I'd like to hear your views.

Forum Member

We work straight 24 on and 48 hours off. I've worked this schedule for almost 19 years. Love the schedule. I find that I have plenty of time for all those activities because I only work 10 days a month. Yes, we work Christmas and other holidays but my family has learned to adjust easily, they just celebrate the day before or the day after. Usually if we work Christmas day, it has not been to hard to get someone to switch a few hours for me so I can be home in the morning for the Santa thing. I think you would find that it is not a bad schedule unless the call volume is so high that it doesn't allow much sleep time.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yo bro. The only down side I can see with your schedule is that many of the boys and a few girls too,myself included, like an extended period of days off,so they can enjoy a roadtrip with-out arranging shifts off Other then that, I think your org. has an excellent schedule, one that I wouldn't mind trying. BCNU bro.

Forum Member

Smile clarification

note to self;- stay off line ,when to heavily into the corn ,or else be sure to proofread what you write ,before clicking' Post.' I may of just implied that I'm a girl, in my last post. Yeah right! a girl named polecat! Hey,wait a minute??

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up From Here.........

Common shift here is 24 on, 72 off. Take one shift off, and you have seven days off in a row. Not Bad. Folks here would never go back to anything less.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down From Here.........

Stupid Double Post............
    Last edited by hwoods; 01-04-2007 at 11:11 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I haven't done the math yet but i'm wondering, does your shedule add up to an 84 hr.pay cheque?The reason i ask is because one earlier respondent stated their dept. worked 24 on,48 off. One thing I know is that few members would take a cut in pay for more time off.

MembersZone Subscriber

24-hr shifts are defintely a good thing. 24's are all ive worked but i dont think id like the feeling of coming in knowing i was leaving 10 or 14 hours later. i like knowing im gonna be there all day and night to be able to get more stuff done and have more time to relax.

Forum Member

Thumbs up My hats off to you brother

First off, how cool is this! One of our bravest checking in from Iraq! I'm so stunned (and half tanked) I can't remember what I was planning on saying? I think it had something to with 24 hr. shifts? doesn't matter, because i (kinda) met one of the bravest persons on the planet.

Forum Member

There are those mutts who will look at the 24 hour schedule, do the math and say that "you are only working 90 days a year.. and the vacation days and personal days, and that can be cut down even further.. what are you willing to give up in your contract to get 24 hour tours?"

Nothing. All it is is rearranging the work schedule. You still put in the same number of hours each week.

Remind them that your 24 hour tour of duty is like them working 3 days, only you do it all at once. That usually shuts them up.

I also recently heard that some of our local law enforcement officers are choked that we sometimes sleep on the job, and think the beds should be removed.
    They're just ****ed because they took the wrong exam. Most cops would be firefighters, except for that "fear of fire" and "fear of heights" thing....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Polecat

I thought the Provincal Police, Fire, bargining act only allowed fire fighters to work 10s and 14s or (4, 10 hour day shifts ie day shift fire prevention). I might be wrong but you might want to check into that.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    First off, how cool is this! One of our bravest checking in from Iraq! I'm so stunned (and half tanked) I can't remember what I was planning on saying? I think it had something to with 24 hr. shifts? doesn't matter, because i (kinda) met one of the bravest persons on the planet.

i appreciate it bro. we're doing the same job you all are doing, just a little further away from home. theres actually a bunch of guys from iraq on here. just check out the Americans Overseas forum.

if you're interested here's a link to a video made by one of our guys. it was done a couple years ago before i was here. only big difference is we don't use the iraqi fire trucks anymore. we have a fleet of Sutphen pumpers now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz26ODGoQto

Forum Member

Thanks KBR,
    That was to cool. Good luck and be safe over there.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

Forum Member

On the 24 hr shift thing. I would do anything to be working 24/48 shifts again. I worked it for 5 years in EMS and I am not able to work it now in the Prison system. I loved the 2 days off.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Points to ponder:

Do you receive overtime for runs during shift change? If so, those OT runs are cut in half.
    How about travel pay for details at the start of tours? Also cut in half.

Are you allowed to swap shifts: a day for a night and work a 24 when you want? If so why be forced when you can choose.

We work a 9-9, 48 off then 15-15, 72 off. The majority of our members wouldn't even allow our unions to talk about it, much less change it. And our city has been trying to sell us on 24 hour tours for some time.

If they want it that bad, it's good for them and bad for us.

If you do decide to change, bargain a productivity raise for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been working 24/48 for several years now (7 I think, man how time flies) and wouldn't have it any other way. You take one shift off and you get 5 days and still get a decent check (I'd hate to go on a 24/72 making only $10.82/hr ). Plus, there's two full days between. But, it's all on what you get used to. If you went like you described, once the guys got used to it they'd probably wonder why you hadn't done it before. I also know guys on a neighboring department thatare on the 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 4 off (or however that one goes, I'm sure I butchered it) schedule that woudn't test at our department to save their lives because they love what they're on.

Forum Member

We work 24/48's and wouldn't have it any other way. Paychecks are 104 hrs every two weeks Since our average hours are 52 per week when kelly days are fugured in. Great schedule and alows plenty of oportunity to work OT if it is available.

Forum Member

We work 24's, on-off-on-off-on-off for 4 days. I love it and never want to go back to anything less than 24's. We work 112 hours in a two-week pay period. We don't have Kelly days, so we get the FLSA "OT".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt View Post
    Points to ponder:

Do you receive overtime for runs during shift change? If so, those OT runs are cut in half.
    How about travel pay for details at the start of tours? Also cut in half.

Are you allowed to swap shifts: a day for a night and work a 24 when you want? If so why be forced when you can choose.

We work a 9-9, 48 off then 15-15, 72 off. The majority of our members wouldn't even allow our unions to talk about it, much less change it. And our city has been trying to sell us on 24 hour tours for some time.

If they want it that bad, it's good for them and bad for us.

If you do decide to change, bargain a productivity raise for it.
    I'm with him on this as well. I'd vote no but the circumstances might be a bit different there than here.

Best of luck whatever you guys choose.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    Our membership will soon be voting on changing our hours of work,from the traditional 2-10 hr. days / 2-14 hr. nights,followed by 4 days off, to instead ,24 hrs. on, 24 hrs. off, 24 hrs. on, with 5 days off. The members seem equally divided into two groups. There are those who would love to save the fuel with half the commutes ,and vote in favor of 24 hr. shifts. These members generally live the furthest from work. The members who are against 24 hr. shifts, typically are young dads,concerned they will have less opportunitys to coach their kids, and special occassions like birthdays and Christmas would be missed entirely.Myself,i'm worried about the few anal taxpayers who figure we're not working hard enough. I also recently heard that some of our local law enforcement officers are choked that we sometimes sleep on the job,and think the beds should be removed. Sure hope that topic disappears. Please weigh-in, I'd like to hear your views.

Any news on how the vote went?? I'm just to the west of you in Vancouver and we voted in favour of trying it. Now just because we voted in favour doesn't mean its gonna happen anytime soon. It's been dragged through city council meetings, presentations have been made in favour of it etc....Upper management is against it (probably because its something the men want) and now the rumour is it's going to be brought up in negotiations for our new contract. Personally i'm all for trying it on a test basis like Toronto Fire, but if we have to give up something more in contract talks to get it they can go pound sand.....................

MembersZone Subscriber

I love working 24-48. You take off a shift and you got 5 whole days off. OT isnt a problem for me. We have FLSA overtime and Kelly days, which for us is 24 hours of OT pay 4 times a year. Gives you plenty of time to work a part time gig and such.

Biggest downside to it is when you work a swap, you gotta work like 48 hours in a row. I've done 72 and wasnt my favorite time but I would still do it again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    Biggest downside to it is when you work a swap, you gotta work like 48 hours in a row. I've done 72 and wasnt my favorite time but I would still do it again.
    Is there any possibility of working half a shift(12 hrs) when doing a swap?? Or do you have to work the entire 24 hrs. Also like most departments we have our busy stations and our quieter ones. Do the guys working out of your busier ones get burned out faster??.....Has it cut down on sick time?? because that would be a real selling point to the city. .............thanks for any input. We have been looking at the 24 hr shift for sometime now...............

Forum Member

Exclamation

ummmm, a ten and fourteen is the only way to go, but that is all I ever worked and it was in the contract.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

You can work it however you want.... 12's...3's but I tend to prefer to do 24's since I want the whole shift... not just half. Now, if I get called up and they need me in a hurry, thats a different story.

But, it also depends on your admin's SOP's. Some want a 72hr notice before a swap... some limit the amount of swaps you can do in a year... some frown on cash swaps. Variety of crap.

And, it cuts down on sicktime some. Some prefer, if they get approval to rather than going home sick, to get a swap to come in. Hard part is getting someone to come in on such short notice

Forum Member

Recently switched from 3 days 10hrs, 3 off, 3 nights 14 hrs 3 off. Now we do 24/72 and everyone pretty much seems to love it. Trade time can be done any way you want, 4hrs, half shift, whole shift, etc. So far sicktime is a little less, but not enough time yet to see a true average for comparison. Awesome for guys with other jobs, lots of free time.

Thread Information