Forum Member

Default Roof hook or trash hook?

I've seen a few videos in the past year showing ventilation crews using a 2 pronged hook to pull the roof material. I'm really interested in trying one as I think it might work better in some cases than a traditional pike pole. Question I have is when I look in some catalogs I find the trash/rubbish hook, is this the same thing? An internet search reveals that Nupla makes a roof ventilation hook but it looks exactly like the hook found in Darley, Public Safety, etc. that is called a trash hook. My concern is that a trash hook might not be as durable as one specifically designed for roof ventilation. Anyone use one of these? Do you like them? Do they break or bend often if you use it to push ceilings or roof material?

Thanks,
    Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used them in the past and absolutely love the things. I don't know that their is a difference between the trash hooks or roof hooks though. I've never had a problem with them bending or breaking and really work great for overall or pushing ceiling in. We don't carry them at work though..I need to check out why !

DJ

Forum Member

Ckick on the "hooks" tab and scroll down to the Arson/Trash Hook...

http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the Nupla hook is somehow extendable/intercangeable, otherwise it's the same thing. Firehooks Unlimited is a good resource.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

This should be the same thing, I purchased 1 for our tower and we have a shorty on the engine. They do serve a purpose, just make sure it fits your application. The tower has an 8' and the engine a 4', obviously different work requires different tools. Like previously posted, it takes out a lot of ceiling and works great for breaking apart trash, rubbish, smoldering materials, etc.. The Firehooks unlimited website shows a lot of different options.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Chad, we've got one of those two pronged things. Stop by some time and have a look. You'll like it.
    That's probably where the DJ used them before. We've got gadgets the MVFD doesn't!!!!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Douglas, we don't have them because: A) money is always non-existant, B) outside of the FF's on shift, nobody else knows what they are. Bring the issue to FFIB, maybe the moons will align and we'll buy a couple along with the roll-n-rack, rookie, blitzfire monitors, sling-links. Maybe we'll do a little extra shopping at FDIC this year......maybe.

Forum Member

Maybe we'll do a little extra shopping at FDIC this year......maybe.
    mvfd99, can we have any of your old stuff if you go shopping? I'll come pick it up!

Jack, maybe I can swing by Wednesday night and take a look at it. I'll let you know if I'm heading to Nashville. I'll check with Centralia to see if they've got one to look at. I'm leaning toward a 6' with a D-handle.

My guys are not that excited about buying one or two so I've got to convince a few that it would be an added benefit on the roof, during overhaul, and at trash fires.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Thumbs up Rubbish Hook

I have a question concerning this tool , Im trying to find as much about it as possible as I have to give a report on it for my academy does anyone know when it was introduced into the fire service and perhaps the fella who came up with the idea? I am not looking for an easy way out here its just I havent been able to find info on said questions If anyone can point me to the right text I would be in yuor debt. Thank You!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Roof Hooks

There are few types of roof hooks used in different parts of the country, here are some of them:

The Trash Hook
    http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...rashhooks.html

The Roof Hook, favored by the FDNY
    http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...newyoroho.html

And a new favorite making the rise is the "T" Hook
    http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/thook.html

It is a matter preference as to which one you like best and for which type of roof operation you are conducting.

Stay Safe.

Thread Information