Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default EMT to Dual Role?

Thanks to the webmasters for info on this board; good stuff. I would like some clarification on the following if possible: The fire/rescue department for the county in which I live is currently hiring probationary EMTs; this is one of their entry level positions--the other being probationary firefighter, which they rarely open up for applications. As a probationary EMT you are required to remain in this position--strictly medical--for two years. Here is my question: If I were to be hired on strictly in an EMS role, would I be able to take on a dual role as firefighter/EMT or possiblly firefighter/paramedic (barring certification obviously) after my two years on probationary status? Is this uncommon? Thanks in advance for any replies here..

Forum Member

Lightbulb Emt ???

Are you from Baltimore County?

Forum Member

Yes I am. You, too?

Forum Member

Exclamation BaltiCo EMS

No, close by out of the county.

I talked to a PARAMEDIC recruiter from the department--Not HR (better source of info.) again not sure if she was 100% but i'll take the word of someone in the field rather than a Human Resource Management type, she said that an EMT-B or P can apply for the position, Prob.EMT job. Having EMT-P will most liklely help you in long run to become a FF because of the ALS engines and "should" give you a hiring preference in the future. Not 100% sure, but what I said above about sources I have to take their word for it. From my impression, Firefighter, EMT-B and Paramedic are all seperate job classes, as listed on the county website, but if you get on as a Paramedic it should help you in the future to cross over to FF again vbecuse of the preference you see with alot of the counties when they hire.

But what I don't get is that there's 3 job classes, FF, EMT-B and Paramedic. Medics can apply for an EMT-B job opening.?. I think the last round testing for FF was in '04, not 100% sure on that, but it's been a few years. What level of Cert. are you? Good Luck...

Thread Information