Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default side curtain airbags.....

Has anyone heard or seen any contraindications to cutting the roof at any of the posts. For example, making the "v" cuts at each post. Is there any risk of activating the side curtain or roof line airbags.

Thank you for your help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Some side curtains may have a compressed gas cylinder in the B or C post or up in the roof line and I believe I have even heard of them being down where the A post and hood meet. Some of these other guys can definitely give you more info but the one thing I have been teaching is to have a halligan or a long screwdriver handy and pry away all plastics before cutting any post.
    Hope this helps

Forum Member

FireMedic7 is right today we can not safely cut any where in the roof line with out first stripping the trim.
    I believe he is talking about the BMW canister that is mounted at the bottom of the A post right at the dash level. Mercedes has one mounted in the center of the A post, Ford Explorer has one about an inch behind the B post, I believe it is Honda that has one in the center of the roof line feeding the airbag in both directions. Many are mounted in the C and D posts, VW has one mounted in the rear dash, Nissan has one above the rear glass.

The main thing that we need to understand is; we always hear about the Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, and Honda. That may instill a false sense of safety when dealing with American vehicles, do not be fooled American made vehicles have the same systems. The others are always talked about because they are the leaders in this technology.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

If you are unable to access the inside to strip the plastic, then the general rule now is cut as high as possible or V-Cut the roof where it meets the post.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

As nmfire said if you can not strip the trim most are teaching to cut high or make a pie cut, I have been teaching to make the pie cut to get around the boron steel post, but I ran into a problem with even doing the pie cut without striping the trim. look at this picture and you can see right were you would make the rear cut there is a canister and a cross member. (2004 Ford Explorer)

http://midsouthrescue.tripod.com/photo/index.album?i=33

I have been trying to find examples of a scenario that you would not be able to strip the trim, Todd Hoffman gave me one. A BMW A post with the hand grab screwed into the post, it is very hard to get it off being the trim runs down behind the dash trim, on both sides of the car, most of the others we can strip the other side and see what we are working with. If anyone can think of another please list them.

From what I am seeing the best thing in this case is what the guy in the streams Ron done with State Farm showed, Lay your hand long ways at the edge of the roof line and cut the post within the area of your hand.
    Last edited by LeeJunkins; 01-06-2007 at 04:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello everybody!

As written before, there are a lot of mounting positions for airbag inflators today and it's also possible that we'll find more than one inflator on one side of the car.

If you go to www.moditech.com you'll find several illustrations of different airbag inflator locations. You'll see that making pie-cuts without stripping the trim is also not a solution because some models have the inflator directly above the b-pillar.
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Where to cut?

Last week we had a side impact MVA with substantial intrusion to the passenger side front door. Being a good student of Ron Moore's I scanned the inside for the airbag insignas. Yep! Roof curtain and side seat bags. But NO deployment. Because I own a 2005 Prius also, I wanted to know why not? Was the activation sensor in the area of the seat? Got home and looked at my ERG collection and found the answer. The sensor is located in the bottom of the "B" post. Now where do we usually cut a "B" post? The impact was inches forward of the post so no deployment. Can you get to the bottom inside of the post to expose it? Hmmm?
    One more thing. Cutting the power to the battery prevents the electronic shifter from coming out of "Park". Not our problem but makes it tough on the towing company. Hint. Show them how smart we in the fire service are by looking for the "Shift" override under the steering column. I loved it when he wouldn't listen to the little old lady that owned the car telling him how it was supposed to be towed. "I've been towing cars for 27 years and they're all the same". He sure was red-faced when he came over to us and asked for help. I have an appointment next week to show his company drivers a little something about hybrids.
    "Don't say much so when I do.."

9/11 This Firefighter will never forget!

Might on some but cutting the power RELEASES the shift interlock on others.Still others have a key or pin override next to the shifter,it would be nice if there were some form of standardization. If it's wrecked,it will load,interlock or no.A Prius,or even a full size Caddie is no match for a set of skates and a winch.In traffic we winch them on and worry about the unlocking of the shifter in the relative safety of the shop.Most of the dipsticks take the keys to the hospital in their pocket anyway.Someday maybe the gov will figure out when you idiot proof something all you get is a higher grade idiot.Proven daily in Washingon DC. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Might on some but cutting the power RELEASES the shift interlock on others.Still others have a key or pin override next to the shifter,

it would be nice if there were some form of standardization.

If it's wrecked,it will load,interlock or no.A Prius,or even a full size Caddie is no match for a set of skates and a winch.In traffic we winch them on and worry about the unlocking of the shifter in the relative safety of the shop.Most of the dipsticks take the keys to the hospital in their pocket anyway.Someday maybe the gov will figure out when you idiot proof something all you get is a higher grade idiot.Proven daily in Washingon DC. T.C.
    I was talking to some manufacturers today, and they want to know were this TC guy is from , we do not understand his language.

Lee,proven daily on the hiways and byways of the Nation.It's my belief that an automotive DESIGNER should NOT be allowed near a drafting board until:He's worked as a mechanic in Nome Alaska during the cool season OUTSIDE,he's worked two years in Plano on Fire/Rescue and worked for a Towing company for two years.Then MAYBE we could find the battery and the engine,there MIGHT be a tow attachment point you could find without a mirror and a magnifying glass.Road clearance would be CONSIDERABLY faster if there was an attachment point you could actually FIND and apply a little force to.Just a country boys opinion.I AM available for consultation for a nominal fee T.C.

Show them how smart we in the fire service are by looking for the "Shift" override under the steering column. I loved it when he wouldn't listen to the little old lady that owned the car telling him how it was supposed to be towed.
    Had this happen to us a while ago as well. 2 tow truck operators and 4 police officers all trying to figure this out. I hopped in and innocently (and indiscreetly) showed them how to do it.

Only cost them a couple cups of coffee and some donuts.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information