Forum Member

Default Colorado Lights And Siren

Does Colorado Let Their Volys Run Lights And Siren Just Curious
    Im Looking To Relocate From New York And Here We Run Blue Lights..

Forum Member

I hope so.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not quite sure if I can answer your question but here goes....

I believe you need a letter from the Chief of the department, and that letter needs to be turned into your Insurance provider. I may be wrong, but I think thats what I have been told. I will ask around and reply again.

What part of CO are you moving to, and have you found a department that you are interested in?

Forum Member

Your chief needs to send in an application to the state (Colorado) and they will send out a sicker for you windshield.

ITS up to your chief yes or no

Forum Member

Found this form from this thread. Did a search for Siren and forum since someone used the user name Siren to join a traffic exchange.

Hello fellow coloradoians and potential coloradoians.

Forum Member

Not in a POV if that is what you are asking. Most chiefs that I know here would not even be willing to even file the paperwork to get permission.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Colorado Revised Statutes

42-4-222. Volunteer firefighters - volunteer ambulance attendants - special lights and alarm systems.

Statute text
    (1) (a) All members of volunteer fire departments regularly attached to the fire departments organized within incorporated towns, counties, cities, and fire protection districts and all members of a volunteer ambulance service regularly attached to a volunteer ambulance service within an area that the ambulance service would be reasonably expected to serve may have their private automobiles equipped with a signal lamp or a combination of signal lamps capable of displaying flashing, oscillating, or rotating red lights visible to the front and rear at five hundred feet in normal sunlight. In addition to the red light, flashing, oscillating, or rotating signal lights may be used that emit white or white in combination with red lights. At least one of such signal lamps or combination of signal lamps shall be mounted on the top of the automobile. Said automobiles may be equipped with audible signal systems such as sirens, whistles, or bells. Said lights, together with any signal systems authorized by this subsection (1), may be used only as authorized by subsection (3) of this section or when a member of a fire department is responding to or attending a fire alarm or other emergency or when a member of an ambulance service is responding to an emergency requiring the member's services. Except as authorized in subsection (3) of this section, neither such lights nor such signals shall be used for any other purpose than those set forth in this subsection (1). If used for any other purpose, such use shall constitute a violation of this subsection (1), and the violator commits a class B traffic infraction.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1), a member of a volunteer fire department or a volunteer ambulance service may equip his or her private automobile with the equipment described in paragraph (a) of this subsection (1) only after receiving a permit for the equipment from the fire chief of the fire department or chief executive officer of the ambulance service through which the volunteer serves.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Within the county that I reside, all volunteer departments have their own regulations. I've belonged to three different volunteer departments and all three had department policies that did not allow members to use any kind of emergency light or siren on their POV when responding to a scene. Its just not allowed around here. You will need to learn what the policies are for the department that you belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

in El Paso county i see a ton of POVs with lights but have never in fifteen years seen someone use them on their way to the firehouse...ever

Thread Information