Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

The president of Firematic got back to me and this is what he had to say:

"We took every opportunity to review and prepare for the bid. Once the information was compiled, a business decision had to be made. It was my job to consider the dynamics of such a commitment and how it would possibly affect our future. So… to keep a very long and complicated story short. Pierce did not bid on the pumpers."

So I guess they didn't bid on the engines afterall

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dano8696 View Post
    The president of Firematic got back to me and this is what he had to say:

"We took every opportunity to review and prepare for the bid. Once the information was compiled, a business decision had to be made. It was my job to consider the dynamics of such a commitment and how it would possibly affect our future. So… to keep a very long and complicated story short. Pierce did not bid on the pumpers."

So I guess they didn't bid on the engines afterall
    The FDNY contract is nothing but a big 5-year pain in the butt, they are better off that they stayed away!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The FDNY contract is nothing but a big 5-year pain in the butt, they are better off that they stayed away!
    That's why there were only 2 bidders and why Ferrara was $90K higher per rig.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    That's why there were only 2 bidders and why Ferrara was $90K higher per rig.
    I think that " Seagrave " makes the most profit from building there 75' & 95' Aerialscope for the FDNY. And also they have over 65 scopes in service in the city of N.Y.! I would like to know what the cost of a 2007 FDNY pumper go's for ?

With the aid of the net, you can track down the bid amount, however the 2007's you referred to were from a bid in '05 (if my memory serves me). The current bid (don't know if it has been awarded yet) is for a delivery period in 2008-early 2010 for I believe 69 units. Bid awards are all public record, and with a little searching on the net you'll be able to find out the 05 bid as well as the new ones (engines and TLs) once awarded.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have any further information on the new engines?

I've been hearing lots of different things such as a different seating layout inside and a raised roof on the cab? Anyone know how true any of this may or may not be??

I know more details are coming out about them, however I also know that some of the apparatus buffs tend to have some fairly good information on whats going on regarding the apparatus for FDNY.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FORTff View Post
    Does anyone have any further information on the new engines?

I've been hearing lots of different things such as a different seating layout inside and a raised roof on the cab? Anyone know how true any of this may or may not be??

I know more details are coming out about them, however I also know that some of the apparatus buffs tend to have some fairly good information on whats going on regarding the apparatus for FDNY.
    They are going to be " Split-Tilt Cabs " built on the Marauder II stainless steel chassis cab, Seagrave is building a demo unit or prototype for the FDNY to inspect before they go on to build 23 engines for the first year order.

This is atandard practice for all of our deliveries, the pilot rig as it is called is delivered and tested and any tweeking and change orders (a big headache for the city) are made. The goal is to get it right and avoid change orders.
    The pumpers were awarded at $468k, if my memory serves me.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    For comparison's sake, Singer Associates, which is the Pierce dealer for VA, MD, DC, and part of WV currently has 79 Pierces being built for Virginia customers alone.
    It sure helps when you have a 10-year contract for over 20 different types of units that NO other manufacturer bid against. I was told the Blacksburg Town Council had to approve the paperwork because the purchasing agent refused to sign off on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    This is atandard practice for all of our deliveries, the pilot rig as it is called is delivered and tested and any tweeking and change orders (a big headache for the city) are made. The goal is to get it right and avoid change orders.
    The pumpers were awarded at $468k, if my memory serves me.
    There is also talk that the new Seagrave pumpers will have ( 8 " raised roofs ) something new for the FDNY more head room !....

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone, have any pictures and or drawings?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10House View Post
    It sure helps when you have a 10-year contract for over 20 different types of units that NO other manufacturer bid against. I was told the Blacksburg Town Council had to approve the paperwork because the purchasing agent refused to sign off on it.
    WRONG!! Purchasing Agent was on board from the beginning. Nothing had to be approved by Town Council.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10House View Post
    I missed this post when it was originally done. Sorry....

You're correct that there is a 10-year contract for over 20 types of rigs. However, I would say that very few tag-ons are being done off of this contract, versus the number of rigs that SAFE has on order right now.

Also, the purchasing agent was instrumental in the construction of the final document, and is willing to openly discuss the document with other PA's that wish to tag-on.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I missed this post when it was originally done. Sorry....

You're correct that there is a 10-year contract for over 20 types of rigs. However, I would say that very few tag-ons are being done off of this contract, versus the number of rigs that SAFE has on order right now.

Also, the purchasing agent was instrumental in the construction of the final document, and is willing to openly discuss the document with other PA's that wish to tag-on.
    There are only 14 different types of rigs on the contract. 10House was incorrect on that also.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RKSmith163 View Post
    There are only 14 different types of rigs on the contract. 10House was incorrect on that also.
    I know, I was just generalizing. I have a copy of the entire document on my computer.

However, you are correct, thanks for the clarification for the others.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I know, I was just generalizing. I have a copy of the entire document on my computer.

However, you are correct, thanks for the clarification for the others.
    Is there a web site where we can take a look at the apparatus that are part of this 10 year contract ?

Forum Member

The Town of Blacksburg Purchasing Agent (Bonnie Preas) can provide you a copy electronically and maybe otherwise. Her email address is bpreas@blacksburg.gov

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo's, I am a firefighter not a photographer. Maybe some of the others on here have better photos.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it me or is the body bigger, bigger water tank?
    Last edited by dano8696; 05-17-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Here is a link to a site with more pics of the new pumper for FDNY.
    http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/i...p?topic=7176.0

Thread Information