+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
    FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ray,what's with the angled corners on the beavertail? I'm thinking that ain't a bad idea. T.c.
    it is designed for the older and tighter doors on the job....
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    it is designed for the older and tighter doors on the job....
    TC knows all about older.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default FDNY Rescues

Something tells me that Seagrave would run, not walk away from a Rescue truck bid for NYC. It is not thier kind of apparatus...........I think a builder like Rescue 1 might go after it, or Ferrarra.

Forum Member

not bashin............whats with the doulble intakes on the one side ? Ray can you tell us anymore ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Quote Originally Posted by Engine305 View Post
    Something tells me that Seagrave would run, not walk away from a Rescue truck bid for NYC. It is not thier kind of apparatus...........I think a builder like Rescue 1 might go after it, or Ferrarra.
    Would FDNY accept a Spartan or Comercial chassis or do they require a single source manufacturer?

I ask because Rescue 1 does not manufacture their own chassis.

MembersZone Subscriber

Having dual steamer intakes allows you to get the capacity of the pump at draft Drafting from both steamers when there is one on each side requires tons of suction hose. Pumps over 1500 GPM require two suction lines in the water to pass the draft test, as I understand it.

On their rigs, one of the intakes is gated for everyday use and the other is not and is marked for drafting only, as there is no valve. My assumption would be that if the rig is used for water supply at draft for a large incident, they will draft with dual suction lines, since it appears 4 lengths are carried. It makes a ton of sense from a drafting efficency perspective.

Other FDNY guys have mentioned this new pump configuration is based on major water system loss so that any engine can extablish a water supply from draft.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Engine305 View Post
    Something tells me that Seagrave would run, not walk away from a Rescue truck bid for NYC. It is not thier kind of apparatus...........
    That was true 3 years ago.......

Seagrave is in a much better position now to build heavy rescues. Those who are "in the know", know precisely what I am talking about.

Some recent examples of "not their kind of apparatus", (especially the first one):

http://www.seagrave.com/index.cfm?di...nID=3&chassis=

Last edited by FWDbuff; 10-07-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Member

This may be a dumb question or may have already been asked but I didnt see it. What is the big Diamond plate box on top of the cab on the training divisons engine used for?

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by firetdriver99 View Post
    This may be a dumb question or may have already been asked but I didnt see it. What is the big Diamond plate box on top of the cab on the training divisons engine used for?

Foam...........
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

With Tom Shand, ex-sales engineer for Saulsbury, working for Seagrave, I think rescues will become their thing and you may even see some interesting designs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireco2lt View Post
    With Tom Shand, ex-sales engineer for Saulsbury, working for Seagrave, I think rescues will become their thing and you may even see some interesting designs.
    Out of respect for Tom's privacy, wasn't going to say anything, but when I said "Seagrave is in a much better position now to build heavy rescues. Those who are "in the know", know precisely what I am talking about"; this is exactly what I was referring to.

Tom was the engineer responsible for the design of the MC Mack/Saulsbury rescue companies, which is one of the reasons Seagrave picked him up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    Foam...........

Thanks!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    That was true 3 years ago.......

Seagrave is in a much better position now to build heavy rescues. Those who are "in the know", know precisely what I am talking about.

Some recent examples of "not their kind of apparatus", (especially the first one):

Wow that first one is a beast!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well the other day I had the chance to drive one of these beasts.

There were good points and bad points.

Good-
    • -Larger powerplant, great acceleration.
    • -Tight responsive steering.
    • -Back is nice and large but I don't see the need for the raised roof. Still prefer the old seating arangement...just needed a smaller engine compartment.
    • -External speaker on pump pannel
    • -Rear MDT screen is a very much needed addition.

Bad or not that great-
    • -Way to f*cking large for daily NYC use. 2 inches is 2 inches too many...should have maintained same size or gotten smaller. (I know EPA regs...but someone should have tried harder to obtain an exemption or something...what are we going to do next time the EPA reqires more BS...10ft wide rigs?)
    • -Impractical hard suction for typical use, hoses much to large and three sections completely unneccesary...should be limited to select appratus or hose wagons (satellite type system with second sections) Do we really need 200 Engines that can draft that much? I would have thought a wiser investement would have been a strategic system like the Super Pumper System that is used only when needed. Seems like more BS piled on top of the lower paid ROC.
    • -Don't like the placement of mirrors in relation to A-post Hard to see pedestrians on left hand turns.
    • -Chauffeur and Officers seats much too cramped. no elbow room and no leg room. Radio gets caught agaisnt door.
    • -ECC storage under seat, extreemly limited, waste of metal and space. amost unusable.
    • -ECC tool/fitting compartment is fouled up with poorly designed and over sized sliding trays that prevent one from quickly getting to certain tools or cuases them to jamb when trying to pull the tray out...hire better engineers next time.
    • -Electronic Q is a joke compared to the real thing...sounds like a casset tape playing a recording of a siren...bring back mechanical siren.
    • -Don't like that large siamese on officers side...complicates hooking up under a number of senarios...many having to do with DEP installing hydrants facing the wrong d@mn way.
    • -Officers side pump pannel trough isn't able to contain 50 ft section of 3.5 hose.
    • -SHUT OFF THAT F*CKING BUZZER that activates anytime a door is open with the break off.
    • -Pump pannel reminds me of the old Macks in that the pump gauges and levers were all over the place with no ryme or reason. Too many lights and I still hate there is no true MANUAL back up to the Pro-pressure governour.
    • -Power windows...nice thought...but they will break and while I can rig a fix in Feburary when a window breaks in the down position...I'm not sure I can do so with this electronic mess.
    • -Turn signal is not practical or easy to reach and I more often than not turn on the high-beams. SH*T design. Ps-good luck finding the hazzards.
    • -If rig idles to bring pressure up...it will melt nederman...good thinking.
    • -Large box on top of cab...we are an Engine...not a volly Rescue pumper...we don't need more space so downtown can fill it with garbage we don't need and it limits the deck gun in its direction and angle of use.

Other than that...it is a good rig and time will tell how the design change works out.

FTM-PTM

Forum Member

FFFRED: Although a few of the items you mentioned may be manufacture design, most of the items mentioned have been specified or designed by your department. I believe that your department writes their own specifications?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

FFFRED...

Weren't all of these rigs part of a grant meant to establish the ability to create an above ground pipeline using LDH in the event of a catastrophic event or failure of the water system?

2000 gpm pumps require 2-6 inch intakes to draft 2000 gpm. Frankly I wish my volly FD had done that so that we could draft full capacity off one side. Right now we have to hook hard suction up on 2 sides, driver's side, officer's side and/ or the rear to get capacity from draft.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    FFFRED...

2000 gpm pumps require 2-6 inch intakes to draft 2000 gpm. Frankly I wish my volly FD had done that so that we could draft full capacity off one side. Right now we have to hook hard suction up on 2 sides, driver's side, officer's side and/ or the rear to get capacity from draft.
    I don't know if you can get full capacity out of this, but I have seen a siamese that our service guy has that is for dual 6" suctions into to the one intake. It did give us more gpm's at the test than a single.

It may be worth looking at for another option....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information