Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default New FDNY Pumpers?

Does anyone know the status of the new bid for 67 pumpers (correct me if my number is mistaken) that are supposed to go out to bid for the FDNY?

Forum Member

This should be an interesting purchase. Some in the FDNY arent really happy with Seagrave. There are plenty of rumors floating around, but I will keep my eyes open and my mouth shut!
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Default Wouldn't it be interesting

I know it'll never happen, but......Wouldn't it be interesting if they gave bids to 6 different manufacturers for 10 rigs each. Then 5 years from now all this $%^& about this rig is better than that rig would finally be over. But, that would be cost prohibitive in the long run with replacement parts. Not something that anyone with a modicum of sense would expect from a government entity.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RTB

Stay low, keep pushing in, and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I know that pierce went in for the pre-bid meeting and the pumpers where on Arrow XT chassis.... I know that they have supposedly been having problems with the Seagraves but both companies make good trucks..so it should be interesting to see what happens

Forum Member

Default diversity in pumper manufacturers dejavu?

Quote Originally Posted by resqb View Post
    I know it'll never happen, but......Wouldn't it be interesting if they gave bids to 6 different manufacturers for 10 rigs each. Then 5 years from now all this $%^& about this rig is better than that rig would finally be over. But, that would be cost prohibitive in the long run with replacement parts. Not something that anyone with a modicum of sense would expect from a government entity.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In fact that very thing DID begin to happen 10 or so years ago after Seagrave cornered the FDNY pumper market. Jack Lerch had mentioned that FDNY was granted permission to buy 10 pumpers without bids from various purveyors of pumper trucks. When the deal went forth 2 were to be ordered from 5 different suppliers without competitive bidding so as to ''pilot'' program test these various units or rigs out in the field. The prices submitted by the
    5 dealerships were ALL higher than Seagrave's normal cost and the deal fell through and Seagrave picked up 10 more pumpers.

When I was visiting the shops around that time an official there said they heard so many good things about Pierce that they were interested in trying them under this ''pilot'' program. Well, it's anybody's guess what may have happened after that. Later Pierce was supposedly banned from FDNY bidding because of a financial situation which was resolved with Oshkosh buying the
    Pierce works. So at present Pierce is very welcome to bid.

Personally I would like to see 2 Pierce Arrow XT mid-mount towers 95' and maybe if Pierce would consider offering a smaller 75' mid-mount tower then possibly a better quality aerial tower could be tested for FDNY in the field. The scopes are quite good for FDNY admitedly. I like the high side railings on the Pierce mid-mounts myself, as well as a very heavy-duty aerial platform. Just a lowly opinion though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well i know recently the FDNY, purchased the new R1 from pierce on an Arrow XT chassis ..... But that was under the HomeLand security grant....

http://www.piercehomelandsecurity.com/vehicles/FDNY.cfm

http://rescue1fdny.com/rig.html
    Last edited by dano8696; 01-08-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Pierce didn't submit a bid Ferrara and Seagrave are the only two who bid Seagrave came in in the Mid 500,000 and Ferrara came in the 600,000 range.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that pierce did, because I spoke with the sales rep for the region.... (actually very credible)

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Is it possible that there bid was thrown out? I heard that they will award the contract in the next 30 days. I would think it is safe to say Seagrave will be awarded the contract.

Forum Member

Post Big Bucks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruckz View Post
    Pierce didn't submit a bid Ferrara and Seagrave are the only two who bid Seagrave came in in the Mid 500,000 and Ferrara came in the 600,000 range.
    The price of $ 500,000 from Seagrave & $ 600,000 from Ferrara seems very high for a pumper apparatus. Ferrara Fire Apparatus is selling a F.D.N.Y. " DEMO " for around $ 359,000 !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 01-08-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The price of $ 500,000 from Seagrave & $ 600,000 from Ferrara seems very high for a pumper apparatus. Ferrara Fire Apparatus is selling a F.D.N.Y. " DEMO " for around $ 359,000 !...
    Yes it does but with the extended warranty and other options also if they get the contract these will be Stainless split tilt Marauders.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruckz View Post
    Yes it does but with the extended warranty and other options also if they get the contract these will be Stainless split tilt Marauders.
    A extended warranty only costs about $ 12,000 - $ 15,000 for 5 years. A Seagrave pumper with FDNY specs " maybe $ 450,000 ".
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 01-08-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Forum Member

If that is a true price, thats damn expensive, those things would want to be faultless for that price!! What do you get for your money, from inspection your getting a pretty basic truck for that kind of money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    A extended warranty only costs about $ 12,000 - $ 15,000 for 5 years ?
    I am not saying that all of that is warranty they are very particular about how there trucks are engineered that could have something to do with it not really sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wfd4fireman View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personally I would like to see 2 Pierce Arrow XT mid-mount towers 95' and maybe if Pierce would consider offering a smaller 75' mid-mount tower then possibly a better quality aerial tower could be tested for FDNY in the field. The scopes are quite good for FDNY admitedly. I like the high side railings on the Pierce mid-mounts myself, as well as a very heavy-duty aerial platform. Just a lowly opinion though.
    While I won't say never happen, I doubt you'll see a Peirce tower going in anytime soon. The Peirce has a HUGE jack stance with four outriggers vs. the Scopes 2 that are a few feet narrower. And Peirce refuses to put a manual gun on their towers as tehy say the ladder is not designed to deal with the stresses. Plus, I have heard from a fairly reliable source that until someone beside Sutphen builds a tower with a waterway protected from hitting the parapet, they'll continue with Scopes. The 75 foot tower is probably another must, unless an offering is taller without being longer (not likely).

MembersZone Subscriber

NOW that we're talking about tower ladders... boston has very nice Arrow XT mid-mounts

http://www.massmetrofire.org/images/BostonTL2.jpg

MembersZone Subscriber

NOW that we're talking about tower ladders... boston has very nice Arrow XT mid-mounts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dano8696 View Post

They are nice, but they are actually dash chassises with an enforcer grille. Pierce put the faschia on atnoextracharge, oddlly. They have 2, plus an 85' RM tower and a 95' RM E-one tower.

Forum Member

RFDACMO2- You are correct about the waterway. One of the biggest requirements the city has is no exposed waterways, period. They don't want to be snapping pipe off working over the tops of the parapets.

Snapping isn't as likely as denting or bending ,either of which creates a major case of heartburn.Not to mention it's expensive to fix as most waterways cannot be section replaced,only completely replaced.A good dent will really ruin your day. T.C.

Thread Information