Thread: Need Some Help

Forum Member

Post Need Some Help

Years ago you would see Federal Q2B sirens with a "cone" or "hood" over the top of them.

Any body know where I can find one at?

Searched the Web and found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    Years ago you would see Federal Q2B sirens with a "cone" or "hood" over the top of them.

Any body know where I can find one at?

Searched the Web and found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
    They are or were made by a company called Compliance Technolgies which was in Homewood, Ill. I had bought and installed one on our '78 Hahn. They moved after that, and I don't know if they're still around.

The thing definitely reduces the in-cab noise, and in conjunction with the shutter plate that comes with it, makes the sound more directional. At the time we bought ours, Federal wouldn't recognize it. But they wouldn't tell you not to use it, either. Later on, I understand, they did approve of it as long as you installed it in accordance with their recommendations, or something to that effect.

Because of the way they install, you can only use them with a pedestal mount siren. You can't put them on an in-bumper installation.

Philadelphia used them for a time, but I don't think they do any more. I don't know if they removed the ones they had, or just didn't buy them any more.

I like ours just fine, some other members do too. Still other members (FWDbuff in particular) don't. I'm sure he'll be only to happy to share his opinion.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Darn right I'll share my opinion. To summarize my feelings on them: THEY SUCK. The make your Q sound as if it is a cat being choked (Not unlike the sound of a EQ2b.)

Yes, it does indeed reduce the in-cab noise of a 1978 Hahn pumper. BUT, the trade-off is, that while it "focuses" the sound waves (their advertising pitch) forward of the apparatus (or straight ahead) what they failed to mention was that there is a massive loss of "sideways" volume.

While operating the 1978 Hahn, I have noted more than once, that I could be approaching an intersection- and vehicles in front of me gave the right-of-way (moved over.) However, persons crossing against me appeared to have failed to hear the siren. Without starting a ****ing contest on through-intersection methodologies (we already beat that horse to death in the Firefighter's Forum) the loss of the "sideways" volume was not worth the trade off of lower volume in the cab. Besides, if you keep the windows rolled up, I didnt then, and I still dont think now, that there was much of a difference in the volume.

If you are interested in purchasing one for an older pumper, I encourage you to reconsider. They Suck.

If you are interested in purchasing one for a NEW pumper, I BEG and PLEAD with you to reconsider. Sound-Deadening and Noise insulating technologies these days render the "hoods" unnecessary. And besides, they SUCK.

And I challenge the chiefengineer to come up with names of other members of our organization that actually like the device- I can only think of two members who ever actually admitted to liking the device- one is dead, and the other one hasn't operated apparatus since Hillary Clinton was president.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

FWDbuff,

I guess I am a bit confused... Can you tell me how you really feel about the
    shields? ROFL

I got to agree with you, they suck....

Forum Member

CE11,

Thanks for the info.

FWD,

It's not for my department because I agree with you. I was getting the information for someone else.

Thread Information