Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Southington FD creating new hiring list

FYI: Creating hiring list for FF/EMTs -- must be EMT to apply, current CPAT required, hiree's will be sent to CFA Recruit School regardless of previous certification.

Southington is a combination department serving a suburban population of about 45K residents with a high daily pass-through population via I-84 & I-691. The career force is currently made up of (4 24 on/3 day off) shifts of 6 (Capt, Lt, 4 FFs), a day shift (currently 1 additional FF), 4 staff positions (Capt/Training, Capt/Inspector, 2 Insp), and 2 Chiefs. There are 4 POC companies under the department. The career staff is represented by IAFF Local 2033.

A new hiring list is being created in anticipation of new position becoming available in the new fiscal year and to fill retiree slots over the next year and a half or so. Recent lists have typically been held for two years.

This year's budget proposal is for 3 additional day shift FFs and an additional Inspector. If past proposals are any indicator, either 1 FF or the Inspector is likely to be approved. There are likely to be at least 2 retirements during the tenure of this list.

Details were just published in the Hartford Courant and more info can be gathered via the Town's website at southington.org
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber nadeau526's Avatar

I didnt see anywhere where it said if you have to have Fire 1 or not? Does anyone know if they require this and also the 2q license?

EMT-B, and CPAT are the only requirments.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber nadeau526's Avatar

Thanks Keith! Is your quint off line? I hear engine 3 not quint 3 responding all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by nadeau526 View Post
    I didnt see anywhere where it said if you have to have Fire 1 or not? Does anyone know if they require this and also the 2q license?
    "FYI: Creating hiring list for FF/EMTs -- must be EMT to apply, current CPAT required, hiree's will be sent to CFA Recruit School regardless of previous certification."

Good reading comprehension is a must.

Seriously, they are notorious for tossing applications because the instructions aren't followed to the letter. If you apply, read and follow the directions carefully.

(FWIW, it's arguably illegal under equal opportunity laws to require FF I certification for a FF job in CT. Some departments get away with it but I don't know if its ever been seriously challenged in court.)

Nadeau:
    Yeah, the gettho cruiser is busted again! I'm hearing it won't come back 'till the end of Feb. now. Gotta love the E-ONE! Crap!!!

Forum Member

FWIW, it's arguably illegal under equal opportunity laws to require FF I certification for a FF job in CT. Some departments get away with it but I don't know if its ever been seriously challenged in court.

You'd have to be more specific than just "a" FF job in CT.

The issue DeputyMarshal is talking about is in CT you have to be a member of a bona fide Fire Department in order to get a Firefighter I certification. That's in contrast to some other states, like California and Florida, where any member of the public can be certified through class put on by community / technical colleges.

A combination department probably would have no challenge, since someone from the community could join the volunteer side to have the opportunity to earn the FF I...even if they end up hiring a better candidate from outside the department.

A small to mid-size career department that put FF I right on the floor with no intention of sending them through the a recruit school would also probably be OK too. That's not very unusual -- you see similiar "lateral transfer" analogies in police and between public works / construction job descriptions.

A department in a community without a volunteer force and who intends to send the new hire to the recruit school (which doesn't require a FF I) would certainly be on thin ice because the effect of the requirement is to exclude the local population who have no opportunity to earn a FF I, which they don't need as a pre-requisite for the training the FD already intends to provide.

Dalmatian190,
    I'm no lawyer but isn't it also wrong to require a FFI in a combo dept. too? You are discriminating the people who live in other communities that have no volunteer opportunities. It doesn't sound like EOE. I'm not sure the cop shops only open to certified officers either. They may have a preference to hire certified cops but I don't think they require it. I may be wrong because I don't follow cop jobs. I also disagree with towns that offer residency points or volunteer points (if they only give it to volunteers from that town). Southington does non of the above. They hire 1 of the top 3. No jumping around, no nepotism, it's very fair! Some may argue that the rule of 3's is not fair but I disagree. The rule of 3's gives the latitude to weed out the candidate who is not the most desireable but tests well. In my opinion if you make the top 3 you are prety much all the same rank anyway. This job is so competitive that the whole top 20 are equal. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

I'm not a lawyer either KeithA8...

So quite where the courts would divide it, they only know.

It's perfectly fair to establish educational & certification requirements for a job. Stuff like EMT-B, college credits, having a JD and passing the bar if you're hiring a municpal attorney, requiring a CDL if you're hiring for the Town Highway department are all fair game since there are ways to earn those by going to school. There isn't a way to be FF I state certified in CT w/o being a member of a Fire Department first though.

I guess it becomes a question of how big your the courts consider the pool of candidates to be...I'm certain if you're discriminating against the people who live in your own city you'll be whacked; to what extent they'd look at county or statewide demographics...good question.

Personally, I don't believe FF I / II / Whatever should be a pre-requisite when you're planning to send people through the Recruit program anyway.

Forum Member

Default Just our luck

Welp just heard that the Town of Southington cut the budget and are not hiring any police officers or FIREFIGHTERS so this test in May is just for a list and the next retirement is not for over a year so what im guessing is that this test is a waste of time, BUT doesnt hurt to take another test i guess. Anyone else hear the same? Just curious. Goodluck to all!

You are correct, it looks very unlikely that there will be any new jobs in July but there is pretty well gauranteed to be at least one position created by a retirement during the life of this list. Odds are good that there could be 2 or 3 and more are always possible.

Forum Member

Default thank you

Thanks alot for the info....im just curious are you already a career firefighter deputy? im just about 22 and I been trying for a year now and now I am finding out how frustrating it really is to get hired. The interview part is killing me everytime and im not a shy person at all im very outgoing but when i get in that chair i lose it all and everyone says just be urself do this and do that. funny cause at times i feel like im getting better and then i will go right back down. Im sure alot of guys are in the same situation but just like everyone says, just gotta keep testing!

This is my 25th year -- 22nd as a career firefighter/EMT.

Don't let the interviews worry you; you'll improve with practice and as you "settle down". There's a bit of science and a little bit of an art to taking tests -- either written or oral. Half of the trick is just paying attention to the question and answering the question that was asked -- not the packaging the question is presented in.

Forum Member

Thanks again Deputy...Congrats on ur 22 years as a career guy. Cant wait! stay safe

Someone should tell the KomoDUHdragon. He needs a job.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Wash your mouth out!

Applications have closed so we're safe this time around...

Thread Information