Thread: Got Leather?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got Leather?

I was issued my first pair of leather boots this afternoon. They're 14" pull on LaCrosse boots. My vol dept is just making the switch to leather, so I'm looking for any tips or tricks. Specifically on caring for them - by the time they got to me, any documentation was gone.

I'm basically wondering if I should use any sort of polish on them. I've heard you should polish them occasionally to prolong the life of the leather, but wouldn't regular shoe polish be flammable?

Also, I've been wearing them around today to start breaking them in, already they are way more comfortable than my rubber boots, the left boot fits perfect, but the right boot is pretty tight width wise. I'm wondering if I should get it wet and wear it around, or just give it some time to break in more.

Thanks!

Forum Member

maybe try mink oil, i don't know if it is flammable but it will offer some protection i'm sure. I got a pair of worthington pro 5000's ,$260.00 bucks, but damn they are worth it, hell i think they arelighter than my work boots.

Forum Member

If your boots catch fire from polishing them.. you are in a world of "shyte"!

I put a layer of Kiwi black shoe polish on mine (Warrington Pro5000's} once a month.. no problems yet.

If you have leather on your feet, I hope you are also wearing cow on your head!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the responses guys...I was kinda thinking the same thing as CaptainGonzo about being in a world of "shyte" if you have to worry about your boots catching on fire - but I thought I'd better ask before I do anything to my precious new boots!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    If you have leather on your feet, I hope you are also wearing cow on your head!
    Unfortunately I'm stuck in a Cairns Metro , I'd kill just to get a traditional style helmet, let alone put some cow up there. Oh well, maybe when I get a full-time job I can get a real lid.

MembersZone Subscriber

My grandpa spent the majority of his life making and repairing boots and shoes. He taught me from a young age that if you want a pair of boots to last, clean and polish and do it often. The man wouldn't buy shoes for years (I think at one time he said he usually got 7 years out of a pair) by taking good care of them. If it weren't for the fact I tear the inside out of my duty boots, I'd get several years out of them. The pair I just replaced are fine outside, but the inside is tore all to hell and they're 4 years old.

I don't know much about the leather bunker boots, but I can't imagine they're any different. Like Gonzo said, if the polish catches fire (have you ever tried to catch polish on fire? I melt mine when I put it on, hard as hell to keep it burning) you're in enough trouble you're not going to care if your boot polish is burning off.

If you really wanted, I would imagine a quick call to LaCrosse would get you the care instructions. Enjoy the boots, I'm envious!

IACOJ BOD

As the Good Cap said.

Use Kiwi boot polish regularly. It protects the leather and aids waterproofing.

Do not use a real Kiwi, that would result in personal body damage to yourself.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I use Kiwi liquid polish for my leather boots and I give them a coat at least once a month and more often if they need them. If the leather has completely discolored I used Kiwi shoe dye first then polish.

The liquid polish was actually mentioned by name in the care instructions with our leather boots.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    What does he do? Nibble yer bum?

But on a more serious side, I wont see "cow" until after Fire School graduates 22 Dec. Then I will get a black lid, to replace the red Tactical Tupperwear I have now.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    As the Good Cap said.

Use Kiwi boot polish regularly. It protects the leather and aids waterproofing.

Thanks Ian.. you made me spray coffee all over my monitor!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Hey, we just got those BS lacrosse boots too. Quick question for everyone - I was told that leather cannot be deconned so any time we got blood, puke, ****, diesel, or any other contaminant on them to trade them in for a new pair. It makes sense to me. (Why didn't they just leave us alone!)
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Hey, we just got those BS lacrosse boots too. Quick question for everyone - I was told that leather cannot be deconned so any time we got blood, puke, ****, diesel, or any other contaminant on them to trade them in for a new pair. It makes sense to me. (Why didn't they just leave us alone!)
    Tisk, tisk, tisk!
    Obviously you haven't been listening (reading) very closely to the sage advice that has been offered by the safety gurus on this site! The afore mentioned yicky stuff is BAD for you!

Stop at LL green lights, fight fires ONLY from the outside and quit stepping in such foul contaminants and the problem is solved! Now your boots will last forever.

When will you old crusties learn?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Our department is (was) in leather boots and we have had several problems with the Lacrosse and Pro Warrington boots. We've had to send several of them back due to cracking, bad fit, soles ungluing, etc... We have started issuing the airboss boot to everyone. Its a rubber boot, but it looks and feels like a leather boot on your feet. Plus it can be deconned and it can be worn in a haz mat situation. Chief loves it since we're saving money, and the guys like it because it fits good. Give it a try someday, they offered us a free field test to see if we liked the boot. We liked it so much, we decided to switch.

Good luck !

Thread Information