MembersZone Subscriber

Default Florida Gators win BCS title bowl

The University of Florida Gators just defeated the Ohio State University Buckeyes 41-14 to win the national title.

They are now the reigning champions of basketball and football for 2006.

GO GATORS!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

GO Gators. Held OSU to under 100 yards of offense
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

If I remember correctly, Troy Smith was sacked 5 times. He sure did eat alot of salad last night. Just goes to show you what happens when a 'struggling' team with the #1 schedule plays against a 'perfect' team with the #43 schedule. The SEC speed that Ohio wasn't worried about just caused them to lose the game, along with Troy Smith playing like a peewee quarterback.

I wonder if a Heisman can be revoked and if they will wait until after the national championship game to name the next winner.

Last night the Gators became the first Division I school to hold football and basketball titles at the same time. And they may even win another basketball title this year.

GO GATORS!!!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

Florida is crowned the National Champion but IMO the Boise State Broncos also have a claim to the title. Talk about schedules all you want, the Broncos were undefeated, beat the so called div 1 power, Oklahoma. The Broncos and the fans deserve a title shot. You finish unbeaten, you win a bowl game, you should get a shot.

Without the game, Florida is a paper champion!
    Last edited by manofire2; 01-09-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Forum Member

The Gators are paper champions. Boise Broncos went unbeaten and IMO until the Gators play the Broncos, the so-called National title is tainted. The Broncos, the Gators and the fans deserve a game.

the 4-1-4

Without the game, Florida is a paper champion!
    I agree, the entire BCS is nothing but a wastebasket full of paper champions. Last night's game proves that a D-1A playoff system is needed.

The playoff system would also show whether or not Boisie St. is the real deal, of which I don't think they are.
    There is nothing like a single elimination playoff schedule to show if a team is truly the real deal.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that the BCS sucks. First people say that Florida didn't deserve to play Ohio and that Michigan should have had a rematch. Then they said Ohio would dominate us. Now when we wipe our butts with Ohio people want to cry about Boise? We would own them too. How come no one cried about Boise earlier? Like an artcile I read a while ago said 'Florida is lucky to fall into the role of Ohio's whipping boy, right?' What about Louisville?

Their should be a playoff system, no doubt, but until they make one we are the champs fair and square. That's the way it goes. Remember how we won our first championship? We lost to FSU in the reqular season then played them for the title and won? How dumb is that? But that's the way they choose to do it. The BCS is a joke and from what we saw last night, so is the Heisman.

And if you want to complain about a paper champ, Ohio doesn't deserve the 2003 title. Miami was robbed.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1219 View Post
    And if you want to complain about a paper champ, Ohio doesn't deserve the 2003 title. Miami was robbed.

I'll assume you mean 2002. Ohio that year beat Miami on the field not by a vote. Argue all you want, the Canes lost the game.

The 2007 vote wasn't unanimous, the Broncos deserve a shot. Let the title be decided on the field not in the boardroom.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2 View Post
    I'll assume you mean 2002. Ohio that year beat Miami on the field not by a vote. Argue all you want, the Canes lost the game.

The 2007 vote wasn't unanimous, the Broncos deserve a shot. Let the title be decided on the field not in the boardroom.
    I agree 100%!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm talking about when Miami should have had a touchdown and won the game but they didn't becuase the ref didn't call pass interference on Ohio. A bad call that cost them the game. The ESPN announcers doing the pre-game show Monday night even said the same thing.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1219 View Post
    I'm talking about when Miami should have had a touchdown and won the game but they didn't becuase the ref didn't call pass interference on Ohio. A bad call that cost them the game. The ESPN announcers doing the pre-game show Monday night even said the same thing.
    Cry all you want about a bad call made or missed 5 years ago, it has nothing to do with what is being said. That game was won or lost because of a bad call, would you still be whining 5 years later if Miami won the game on a bad call.

The fact is the game was decided on the field not in the boardroom. Ohio may or may not have deserved to win but they did so on the field.

Maybe Florida vs Boise would be a whitewash but we won't know because they won't play the game. My guess is that Boise would gladly put up their undefeated record. Would Florida put up their title? I doubt it.

As it stands Florida has lost a game to Auburn but is the Champion. Boise has lost to no-one and is undefeated. Florida can take pride in knowing that they were given the title. Broncos can take pride in knowing that the beat every team they face and the voters can't vote that away from them.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL

I would have been mad if Miami would have won on a bad call too. I don't like them either.

It was decided who would play in the boardroom, then we decided who would win on the field and earned that title. Stop whining.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Chris Leak. What a beast.
    Last edited by Firefighter1219; 01-11-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

One thing to keep in mind....This was not the OSU of 56 days ago. They DOMINATED the field in every game they played except 1. We will never find out but Id bet my paycheck on OSU 3 months ago....No questions asked

MembersZone Subscriber

I will agree with you, being a ohio state fan, I truly don't think that ohio state should have been in that game with the way they played, I think some high school teams could've even beat them that night, that was a pathetic game. On a side note, I would also be a little ashamed about the turnout fla. had at the game, when they gave out the trophy there was almost no one in the stands to watch them receive it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It's Great To Be A Florida Gator!!!

Way to go Florida Gators! Way to wipe the field with OSU. It just goes to show what prejudiced "sportscasters" (Corso, Herbstreitt etc) know. Florida took it to them and I don't want to here about a 51 day layoff, Florida had a 37 day layoff and if Tressel can't keep them motivated and in shape thats too bad!!

Don't want to hear about Boise State either. Their game against Oklahoma had the best ending I have seen in a long time and I think they had a remarkable season, but no way does their schedule compare with ours. No way they come out undefeated facing the teams we faced.

So as I said earlier... Its Great To Be A Florida[/COLOR] Gator!!! National Champs in both Football and Basketball. A feat never accomplished before.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=

Don't want to hear about Boise State either. Their game against Oklahoma had the best ending I have seen in a long time and I think they had a remarkable season, but no way does their schedule compare with ours. No way they come out undefeated facing the teams we faced.

[/QUOTE]

Don't know, the Broncos are still undefeated and the Gators aren't. Speculating on what would have happened is meaningless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Go Gators!!!!!

(manofire2):
    Don't know, the Broncos are still undefeated and the Gators aren't. Speculating on what would have happened is meaningless.

There is no speculating, it is a fact. No way Boise State comes out undefeated facing the schedule that Florida faced, which was the hardest schedule in the nation. Same was true several years ago when Utah (coached by Urban Meyer) went undefeated.

The System is what it is. Until a playoff system is started that is how it will work. With that said:

The Florida Gators are the undisputed, undeniable 2006 NCAA National Champions!!!!! IT IS GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2006 National Champion Florida Gators!!!

NPI

Records Last Updated: Tuesday, January 9, 2007 0:00 AM ET
    NPI & SOS Last Updated: Tuesday, January 9, 2007 0:01 AM ET
    Records include games against Division I opponents only.

Record NPI SOS Polls
    # Team Div W L Pct Rank NPI Rank SOS Rank AP Coach

1 Florida
    I-A 13 1 0.9286 2 88.7082 1 0.6144 1
    2 USC
    I-A 11 2 0.8462 12 86.6015 2 0.6042 3
    3 Louisville
    I-A 12 1 0.9231 4 86.2102 3 0.5700 26
    4 Ohio State
    I-A 12 1 0.9231 4 85.5109 4 0.5759 16
    5 Michigan
    I-A 11 2 0.8462 12 85.1735 5 0.5942 7
    6 LSU
    I-A 11 2 0.8462 12 84.0951 6 0.5756 17
    7 Rutgers
    I-A 11 2 0.8462 12 83.1934 7 0.5653 30
    8 Boise State
    I-A 13 0 1.0000 1 83.1562 8 0.4998 108
    9 Princeton
    I-AA 9 1 0.9000 7 82.6482 9 0.5394 58
    10 West Virginia
    I-A 11 2 0.8462 12 82.6388 10 0.5592 34

Sorry I could not copy this as a table but it reads:

National Power Index: Florida-1 Boise State-8

Strength of Schedule: Florida-1 Boise State-108

Not to hard to go undefeated playing the 108 hardest strength of schedule.

Forum Member

Hypothetical games are not fact. Talk about what might have been all you want. If the game wasn't played it wasn't fact.

Utah may have gone undefeated but they also never played any Div I teams. The difference is that Boise beat Oklahoma.

Face the facts, Boise went undefeated, Florida didn't. Gators are Champions, they are not undisputed. They also were not unanimous.

Without playing the game, Florida will not be undisputed. Florida should be campaigning for the game so they can settle things. Do they have the guts though?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dual Sport Champion Gators

Face the facts, Boise went undefeated, Florida didn't. Gators are Champions, they are not undisputed. They also were not unanimous.

Without playing the game, Florida will not be undisputed. Florida should be campaigning for the game so they can settle things. Do they have the guts though?[/QUOTE

Again playing a schedule that ranks 108 does not a champion make. The Florida Gators ARE the Undisputed Champ being ranked first by all pollsters. Do they have the GUTS???? Thats what we heard prior to Ohio State. GO GATORS!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlaFireGator View Post

Without playing the game, Florida will not be undisputed. Florida should be campaigning for the game so they can settle things. Do they have the guts though?[/QUOTE

Again playing a schedule that ranks 108 does not a champion make. The Florida Gators ARE the Undisputed Champ being ranked first by all pollsters. Do they have the GUTS???? Thats what we heard prior to Ohio State. GO GATORS!!!
    This is where your are wrong. To be undisputed you have to be ranked first by all voters. In both the AP and USA polls Boise State was ranked number 1 by one of the pollsters. The vote for Boise State did not come from Idaho by the way but was a voter in New Mexico in the AP poll, not sure where the vote in the USA today poll was from. The results in both polls was 13-1.

Face the facts, the Gators are not undisputed. As long as there is that one vote the are [B]NOT[B] undisputed. The only thing undisputed is that the Broncos went the entire season UNDEFEATED!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Go Gators!!!

This is where your are wrong. To be undisputed you have to be ranked first by all voters. In both the AP and USA polls Boise State was ranked number 1 by one of the pollsters. The vote for Boise State did not come from Idaho by the way but was a voter in New Mexico in the AP poll, not sure where the vote in the USA today poll was from. The results in both polls was 13-1.

Face the facts, the Gators are not undisputed. As long as there is that one vote the are [B]NOT[B] undisputed. The only thing undisputed is that the Broncos went the entire season UNDEFEATED!

I will say that Florida might not be a unanimous number 1 but when every poll (not individual pollster) has them as the number one team in the nation than it is undisputed!!!! On most polls you will always ( almost always ) have one or two individual pollsters rank another team number one, but that never has or should kept the team that had the most first place votes from being the undisputed champion.

Funny how most polls had Boise State ranked behind Florida, Ohio State, LSU and USC. Let alone being number one. Again you play a schedule strength ranked as the 108 you get what you get.

I even heard some analysist say today that even though Boise State is losing their quarterback next season, that with their weak schedule that could conceivably run the table again next year. So I guess if anybody has to be a paper champion we'll let it be them.

"Said Its Great To Be A Florida Gator"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It Don't Get No Better!!!

The First Time In NCAA History for Dual Champions! GO GATORS!!!

Name:  gator.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  gator1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  gatorbb.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  gator2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  gatorbb2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  28.8 KB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Proof is in the Poll

1. AP Top 25 Coaches Poll
    The nation's sportswriters If anyone is in the know, it's the
    have their say in highlyregarded coaches who vote here.
    the granddaddy of college
    football polls.

1 Florida 1 Florida
    2 Ohio State 2 Ohio State
    3 LSU 3 LSU
    4 Southern California 4 Southern California
    5 Boise State 5 Wisconsin
    6 Louisville 6 Boise State
    7 Wisconsin 7 Louisville
    8 Michigan 8 Auburn

Hhhmmm- Lets see Florida is ranked # 1 in the AP by the sportswriters and # 1 in the coaches poll. Also # 1 in the BCS poll. Seems pretty undisputed to me.

Let's see Boise State is # 5 in the AP and # 7 in the coaches poll, no disputing that either.

Thread Information