MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firehouse Software

We are just implementing firehouse software and are working on creating an inventory of all equipment. We have encountered a few problem areas and need some assistance.

First, does every item you put in the database need a unique inventory control number? What about something like an axe? If we have 15 axes, does each axe need a specific ID number? Same thing for backboards, hose etc.

How do you track consumables such as Haz-Mat supplies and EMS supplies?

Do you always assign each item to a vehicle or just maintain them in the master inventory database?

I'm sure we will have more questions as we continue to go through the process. Any help is appreciated.

Forum Member

Yes, each item needs a unique number.
    We don't track consumables.
    We went with each unit (and hope stuff gets put back on the right unit) for the most part.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need help with firehouse software

Hello ,

Just wondering if people are getting the same unhappy service from firehouse software and their IT department like we are ? Is there members who are using the EMS suite for EMS reporting ? Do you like it or not ? pro and cons about the software . Any information will be very helpful .

Thank you

Forum Member

you could probably use simple "mom and pop store" inventory control software, that loads on a PC and you print barcode labels. From there scan everything. You can even put the labels on consumables.

MembersZone Subscriber

A god resource is http://groups.yahoo.com/firehouse. There are a group of very knowledgeable individuals there with plenty of files you can download and guidance n questions like yours.

Check it out. It has saved me some headaches.

Forum Member

FH tech support has never been top shelf but if you spend enough time contacting your sales rep , he can usually get the problems resolved

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, be sure you give specific items unique ID's, ie; 1 3/4"hose, 2 1/2" hose, etc. We found when running hose test reports it was impossible to tell the difference unless you give them specific identifiers.

Forum Member

Default Alpine's red alert NMX?

My Department is currently using Alpine Software's Red Alert (entry) system for electronic records. This was provided to us via a County / State records grant... We're considering upgrading to the Millennium or the new NMX that Alpine has to offer for more flexability and better record keeping... I'm wondering if anybody on the forum has any exposure to these products that can give me a 'users perspective' on the system? Any comments, good or bad, would help my Company / Commissioners decide toe next course of action... Thanks in advance. Ben

[QUOTE=MG3610;756224]

First, does every item you put in the database need a unique inventory control number? What about something like an axe? If we have 15 axes, does each axe need a specific ID number? Same thing for backboards, hose etc.

Do you always assign each item to a vehicle or just maintain them in the master inventory database?

QUOTE]

I give a "group" of items a misc. number i.e.>>>

frmisc001 for lets say a number of axes
    frmisc002 for spanners
    etc. etc

i do this for ever truck obviously not using the same number and then link them to that truck. this way when i print out an inventory list i know i should have "X" number of axes or whatever per truck. This way i dont have to put an inventory sticker on every spanner or axe.

Forum Member

Default IMC does Inventory by truck, station, or person

IMC (www.imcus.com) does a great job of inventory by truck, station, or person. What's really nice is the ability to enter multiple unts of hose and other things simply by entering the starting number and number of units. So if you had had 15 lengths of 4" hose on engine 1, the inventory ID entry would be E1H401 through E1H415 (E1(engine 1)H(hose)4(size)01-15(quantity).

Forum Member

If you are having trouble with your inventory system, or paying too much, visit us at www.irtsoftware.com. We provide record management systems and can include inventory control within this. We can even do barcode based control/entry if needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prices

Is anybody able to throw out about how much the firehouse software costs. Im not sure what version we have but i have recently started doing our reporting and we dont have the tabs on ours for such things as the inventory and training reports and all that type its more or less just the basic generic reporting. I am trying to talk our department into doing all our inventories on this type of basis instead of writing it on paper and leaving it a file cabinet so that this way we could atleast track scertain things from what i am understanding with the capabilities of this software.

MembersZone Subscriber

We never tracked our "small expense" equipment like axes, wrenches, hydrant tools, hand tools, etc. Firehouse has been great to us as far as tracking hose, hose testing, SCBA, face pieces, turn out gear, etc. We used manufactures serial numbers whenever possible. For items such as SCBA masks we use our own numbers such as SCBAMASK001 or something like that.

Forum Member

Is anyone using Firehouse Mobile EMS with success and without errors? If so how and how long did it take you to work though the problems with tech support.They are like talking to the devil, you think your all good then hang up and your back at square one. We handle 4800> plus runs per year and we wonder how much time will it add to our run times.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanTO1 View Post
    Is anyone using Firehouse Mobile EMS with success and without errors? If so how and how long did it take you to work though the problems with tech support.They are like talking to the devil, you think your all good then hang up and your back at square one. We handle 4800> plus runs per year and we wonder how much time will it add to our run times.
    We have been using FH EMS Mobile for 6 months now....

I'm computer-literate (I write software on the side) and can't stand it. I don't know if our administration is getting static from FH tech support or getting anything done. But we're getting very tired of the bugs and poorly integrated controls within the mobile EMS module.

We have been routinely taking about an hour to get the reports completed at the hospital. With paper, that time was 15-20 minutes.

Thread Information