Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default How do most depts hire?

A general question for the experts out there:

After doing some research, I have found out that my dream dept has a reputation of hiring guys they know, friends, family members, etc.

Do you guys see this as a trend througout the US or is it something that is going away (I know it was an issue/problem in the past)

How do I seperate myself from those guys so I can get hired?

Not trying to kiss ***, but thanks to those old heads out there who make an strong effort to help us wannabes out. They take time to help us out, answer questions, give advice, etc. All of it free and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by b52turkish; 01-09-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: title change

Forum Member

I second that!
    Thanks,
    Tim

Thumbs up Hang in there

Turk...I know there are others who will weigh in on this but simply said....Hang in there. Try to help out @ Fire Department functions and put your face out there for those on the Department to see. The more you enter "Their" space then you have a better chance of being hired. You need not Kiss anyones rear area to get hired...just hard work.
    Good Luck,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by b52turkish View Post
    A general question for the experts out there:

After doing some research, I have found out that my dream dept has a reputation of hiring guys they know, friends, family members, etc.

Do you guys see this as a trend througout the US or is it something that is going away (I know it was an issue/problem in the past)

How do I seperate myself from those guys so I can get hired?

Not trying to kiss ***, but thanks to those old heads out there who make an strong effort to help us wannabes out. They take time to help us out, answer questions, give advice, etc. All of it free and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yep... thats everywhere. A big trend.

My friend applied at the local county department, the requirement was to have Firefighter 1. They told him he needed EMT. Come to find out another guy applied and had NEITHER Firefighter 1 or EMT and got hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is one of the biggest complaints I hear from aspiring firefighters. While some of it may be true, most departments try to shy away from the perception of hiring relatives. Some of the fire serviceís most talented individuals have come from fire service families. Itís a tradition. Yes, I know it does happen. For the record many of us are against it. If a candidate is the relative of a firefighter he or she should be even better prepared and know the job better than the average candidate. All too often this is not the case.

Hereís my advice to each and every candidate. Control what you can control. You cannot control who a department hires, but you can control your education, experience and training. All too many times I hear candidates complain about not getting a badge.

When I sit and talk to them itís painfully obvious that they have not prepared themselves. Many departments do hire people they know. These are the candidates who have become active as volunteers or reserves. They have helped as civilians on departmental drills, or have even taken low paying jobs as delivery boys to the stations. They have put themselves in a position to be noticed. Look at it from our perspective; we are hiring people we already know. Itís very simple. Instead of taking every test under the sun, select a few departments and be the one that people know and are familiar with.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Speaking from experience...

Anytime you see a department hiring 3 people, and 15 people are applying.. most likely that's where your questionable hiring practices will be. Stay away from those. Test with larger cities.

Default Not so fast

Matt....After retiring from a large department where 6,000 applied when I took their test and now as Fire Commissioner for a small Department we teand to have small numbers apply. If we have one or two openings and 12 apply we have three or four not pass the physical then we end up with only a few doing their orals. As one who has done their (Fire Department) orals ....just because you know someone does not mean your a shoe-in for the job. Everyone goes through the same hoops and comes out on the list. So as for your thought that its a bad test to take its not.
    I would rather take a test with less people the one with thousands....

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Sorry- but I call BS on the theory for the original poster. When I was testing, I made the top 10 on lists several times. And didnt know a soul in that department.

Recently- I tested for Fire Captain with an outside agency that was only hiring one person. Out of 35 applicants, I ranked #3 and advanced to #1 after the oral board. I did NOT know anyone on that department. The Chief said it was simply a matter of education and background. Thats what he wanted.

YOU need to brush up on your oral board skills and not go by the opinions and hearsay of others in your "dream fire department". I once told a testing partner that the number of other applicants intimidated me. He told me- "The way I see it, its NOT me verse the other 5,999 people, its just me vs. the department. I focus only on that."

And he is right. If you want that job, dont find a reason not to come out in the top 10 on their list. Find out what they want in a candidate and be that #1 guy. If I can do it, you can too.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-13-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Thread Information