Thread: Pager questions

Forum Member

Default Pager questions

My dept is looking at buying new pagers and I would like some input on pagers besides Minitors. Does anyone have experience with any other brand? Was it reliable and durable? Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RSNCAIN1 View Post
    My dept is looking at buying new pagers and I would like some input on pagers besides Minitors. Does anyone have experience with any other brand? Was it reliable and durable? Thanks in advance.
    Any pager with voice is going to be Motorola. Everyone else pretty much got out of it.
    GE had the Beacon IIs, but they sold to Shinwa. Not sure if they are still in business.
    The voice messaging and memory/playback in the pager seems to be a big deal, especially on volunteer departments. Our department has 30 of the Minitor 4s, because we have to have 4 channels because of TRT, hazmat and such.
    If you require everyone to respond to the station to be dispatched to an incident, how important would it be to have voice? That is the expensive part of the pager to purchase and maintain.
    If you only need notification, such as a beeper, then you can get by a whole lot cheaper.
    Hope this helps.
    If not, contact your local Motorola representative. Supreme Radio and Communications of Peoria does alot of business with fire departments and they are a sharp bunch.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Try looking at pwservice.com. They sell a variety of pagers. I only have experience with Motorola but unless the Minitor V is better than the 4, I'd look at something else. I also don't know a lot about pwservice but they are a reputable company and may let you try one out to see if they'll work in your area. We've had Minitor 2 and 4. The 2's were great but parts are getting hard to find for them and they cost a lot to repair a 14 YO pager. The 4s are not nearly as good as the 2, the 5 is supposed to be better but I haven't had one yet. Good luck.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek View Post
    Try looking at pwservice.com. They sell a variety of pagers. I only have experience with Motorola but unless the Minitor V is better than the 4, I'd look at something else. I also don't know a lot about pwservice but they are a reputable company and may let you try one out to see if they'll work in your area. We've had Minitor 2 and 4. The 2's were great but parts are getting hard to find for them and they cost a lot to repair a 14 YO pager. The 4s are not nearly as good as the 2, the 5 is supposed to be better but I haven't had one yet. Good luck.
    We have pretty much phased out all 2s that were in department use and currently have 4s and 5s and the 5s are much better than the 4s. Better sound quality and a better reception quality.
    Riverton Fire and EMS
    Lieutenant/Paramedic

Risk a lot to save a lot.
    Risk a little to save a little.
    Risk nothing to save nothing.

www.rafpd.org
    www.franklindesigning.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Swissphone. They QUALITY is a hell of lot better than the Motorola Minitor's. From what I have seen, the Minitor V's have been coming in with a 10% dead out of the box rate. That's some real quality there?? Anyways, heres the link, also for pwservice.

http://www.pwservice.com/quattrino.htm

Forum Member

Does anyone have any experience with the swiss phone pagers? I've seen them out there on websites and I think they are a big deal oversea's. Looks like the screen on the lower half of the unit would be easy to break. Has anyone heard of a Septor pager? I had a guy metion them to me but I can't find any info on the net about them.

Forum Member

Default Pagers

Quote Originally Posted by RSNCAIN1 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the swiss phone pagers? I've seen them out there on websites and I think they are a big deal oversea's. Looks like the screen on the lower half of the unit would be easy to break. Has anyone heard of a Septor pager? I had a guy metion them to me but I can't find any info on the net about them.
    We had Septor`s they were junk we now have all Minitor V and love them they are part of the IL state purchase we ordered ours thru Miner Electronics in Joliet.

Forum Member

Apollo is making a voice pager now. Cost is around $300.
    I havent tried it, but it is smaller than the Minitors.
    E-mail me and I will give you the info on a dealer near here.

stpeterfire@frontiernet.net

Forum Member

Well it's Saturday and I have a question, and the motorola delear is closed. If my memory serves me right, I was told that the minitor 4, although 4 channals can only handle 2 feq for pagging, true or false? Again if my memory is correct, the minitor 5 can handle 4 feq for pagging, true or false? We currently have 4's with 2 pagging feq, in order to be MABAS compliant we need to add IFERN.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is what I found on Motorola's Site:

4 individual and 2 group codes per channel

I couldn't find anything that specifically stated about what you wanted to know also the link for their website for the IVs is below:

http://www.motorola.com/governmentan..._958i/id_2082i
    Riverton Fire and EMS
    Lieutenant/Paramedic

Risk a lot to save a lot.
    Risk a little to save a little.
    Risk nothing to save nothing.

www.rafpd.org
    www.franklindesigning.com

Thread Information