Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FD's in and around Indianapolis

I am a ARFF FF / Paramedic working in Missouri. My wife and I are moving to Indianapolis at the end of January and the job search has been interesting. I have applied at Fishers, Noblesville, Carmel and the Airport. The problem is that I really don't know a whole lot about each of those Fire Depts. The websites are vague and the information is hard to come by. I am not familiar with how the area operates in regard to public service. Can someone who is familiar with these departments shed any light for me. Any depts to really shoot for or ones to avoid. Pay scales ,call volumes and anything else you guys can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and everyone stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well for starters Carmel, Fishers and Noblesville are all in Hamilton county, which is a great place to work and live. Of these three departments Carmel would be the better paid, higher run volume, better funded. Noblesville is also a great department, (I almost went to work there). Noblesville is booming with growth so consequently the fire department is growing as well, but lagging behind due to tax money coming in. Fishers is also a great department. You really cant go wrong with any of them. I have a buddy that works for the airport and likes it a lot. They have one station with lots of trucks and more new ones coming. I believe they have also broke ground on their second mid-field station. Now is a great time to get hire on at the airport. I'm not sure if you are familiar with what is going on with the fire service in Indy. The short and sweet of it is that we are all going to be part of IFD here in the near future and that includes the airport. So that would open up more opportunity for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Noblesville

Well I can tell you about Noblesville. I was hired on here a year and a half ago. We are a growing area located at the heart of Hamilton county. Hamilton county is one of the fastest growing counties in the country. I think at last check we were in the top 20. Noblesville is one of the fastest growing cities in the state as well. There is plenty of room for contiued growth to our north and east. We share borders with Fishers, Carmel, Westfield. We are currently in the process of a major interstate expansion project along I-69. This expansion involves the construction of new roads and road extensions along the northern border of I 69 near the verizon wireless Ampitheater. The expansion is set to include several 7+ story buildings as well as a one million square foot shopping center.
    All this city growth has had a profound effect upon the Fire Dept here as well. The city opened stations 5 and 6 in 2005 and station 7 is currently in the works for the area around the I69 expansion. We are having some land purchasing issues with that but they are moving forward. That being said the manpower issues are starting to be addressed already. We are already a 110 man department running a true Kelly schedule. with 34 guys to a shift and at least 6 medics per crew. We are strongly seeking more qualified medics. (In fact I am currently in school myself.)
    All that being said we are a progressive dept with a dive team and a special rescue team currently being built up. (water, high angle, trench, tower rescue, building collapse)
    If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Thread Information