Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Angry Minitor V Amplified Charger - New Post Recall Problem?

Hi all,

This thread does not address the issues with the recalled amplified chargers for the Minitor V. This is a different problem.

I purchased a Minitor V and an amplified charger in September and received a post-recall new amplified charger. At least I was told it was a post recall charger as it had "just come off backorder as a result of the earlier recall".

After one week of use, the pager red LED started flashing by itself without either the spare battery or the Min V inserted into the slot. When I did insert the Min V into the slot, the red LED turned solid red and then the spare battery red LED would flash without the spare battery inserted. Bizarre, right? If you left the pager inserted, the pager LED would never turn green. Instead, the pager LED would stay solid RED and the spare battery LED would flash (without any spare battery in the slot). After removing the pager, and again with no spare battery in the charger, the red pager LED would then flash again by itself. Unplugging the charger - even for 7 hours or more - would not solve the problem. Just plug it back in and the red pager LED starts to flash without anything in the slots. This was clearly a defect.

So I contacted my dealer and he said "no problem I will send you a new one, and then send me back the defective unit". So the new charger arrives in the mail, and it works perfectly. So I send back the defective unit to the dealer.

It is now January - some 4 months later. Now all of a sudden I have the EXACT same problem with the replacement unit as described above.

Anyone else have similar issues? Cause? Solution? I guess I can try to exchange again but this seems strange to have two brand new post recall units exhibit identical failures. Curious if anyone out there has similar issues.

Cheers brothers.

p.s. Can someone either PM to me, or post, the correct Motorola technical support / service telephone numbers for the Minitor V and amplified charger so I can speak directly to Motorola about this? I cannot find same on Mot's website. Thanks.

One of three things is happening here.

1) You are very unlucky and defied all probabilties getting two defective chargers with identical problems. Not likely.

2) You have an electrical problem in your house that is frying the charger.

3) Your pager or battery has an internal problem that is frying the charger.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on #3.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I do have a spare battery and I can try that. I do not think that is the problem.

If anyone else has experienced this issue, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you happen to know the tech support number at Motorola for the Minitors, that too would be helpful.

This is not one of the "common" problems. At this point, the charger sounds like it is toast so putting a different battery in it now probably won't do much.

Default exact same problem

I have had the exact same problem as you did with the minitor v amp charger. I am currently on my second charger in 2 weeks time. called motorola and they said they had no info on the pager and that it was already obsolete. Anyway you are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by 1080iAddict View Post
    Hi all,

This thread does not address the issues with the recalled amplified chargers for the Minitor V. This is a different problem.

I purchased a Minitor V and an amplified charger in September and received a post-recall new amplified charger. At least I was told it was a post recall charger as it had "just come off backorder as a result of the earlier recall".

After one week of use, the pager red LED started flashing by itself without either the spare battery or the Min V inserted into the slot. When I did insert the Min V into the slot, the red LED turned solid red and then the spare battery red LED would flash without the spare battery inserted. Bizarre, right? If you left the pager inserted, the pager LED would never turn green. Instead, the pager LED would stay solid RED and the spare battery LED would flash (without any spare battery in the slot). After removing the pager, and again with no spare battery in the charger, the red pager LED would then flash again by itself. Unplugging the charger - even for 7 hours or more - would not solve the problem. Just plug it back in and the red pager LED starts to flash without anything in the slots. This was clearly a defect.

So I contacted my dealer and he said "no problem I will send you a new one, and then send me back the defective unit". So the new charger arrives in the mail, and it works perfectly. So I send back the defective unit to the dealer.

It is now January - some 4 months later. Now all of a sudden I have the EXACT same problem with the replacement unit as described above.

Anyone else have similar issues? Cause? Solution? I guess I can try to exchange again but this seems strange to have two brand new post recall units exhibit identical failures. Curious if anyone out there has similar issues.

Cheers brothers.

p.s. Can someone either PM to me, or post, the correct Motorola technical support / service telephone numbers for the Minitor V and amplified charger so I can speak directly to Motorola about this? I cannot find same on Mot's website. Thanks.

I had this bad feeling a year or two ago when the Minitor V first came out. I was right. The best thing to do is just not buy the amplified charger.

Quote Originally Posted by wfire4 View Post
    called motorola and they said they had no info on the pager and that it was already obsolete.
    Motorola said the Minitor V is already obsolete, and they have no info on it? Are you sure you're talking about the 5, the latest version of the Minitor released in 2005?

BTW, Motorola doesn't even make the Minitor pagers anymore, nor have they since the Minitor II (the best, most reliable pager to date). They're made in Taiwan by Unication. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything made after the II is garbage, even if the V is marginally better than the complete jokes that the III and IV were. No synthesized unit can ever match the performance of a crystal controlled one.

Forum Member

well, I went through 2 of the Min V amp chargers and the third is on a "parts hold". I was told by my vendor that he had another one returned for the same reason also. So, maybe Moto is onto a fix and awaiting parts.

What is more likely is they are will just send you another one that is the exactly the same and just don't have any to give out yet. Please stop wasting your time on the amp chargers and just get a normal one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Please stop wasting your time on the amp chargers and just get a normal one.
    Exactly. I've got 15 Minitor Vs in the field with my personnel for the better part of a year now - all with standard chargers - and I haven't had a single service request, needed a single extra battery, or had a single complaint that I couldn't fix with a programming adjustment.

The pagers and standard chargers are great. Apparently, the amped chargers are crap. What I don't get is why so many people out there seem to think they need amped chargers. I've never needed an amped charger in my 20 years (or so) with a pager.

MembersZone Subscriber

we got our minitor 5's through a county grant a little over a year ago, out of the 25 pagers and amp. chargers we got. there is only 2 chargers that still work. and I believe there is only 1 pager that has never went in for service, I had my pager for a yr. before it started having problems, and wouldn't receive anything unless you held the reset button in then it would pick it up, and the sad part was dispatch is only a mile away so I knew it was a malfunction. motorola just sent us all new batteries stating they think that is what the problem is with our pagers and chargers b/c they say there is some type of fuse or something in the battery that causes them to go bad. I still prefer the old minitor 2's and wish they still made them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobsnyder View Post
    What I don't get is why so many people out there seem to think they need amped chargers. I've never needed an amped charger in my 20 years (or so) with a pager.
    Well, actually there is a reason, at least for me. I use the amp charger because of the DIN connector on the back that allows for triggered outputs and triggered auto reset outputs for external devices. This allows for home automation based on alerts. The standard charger does not have this functionality.

Yes, i know there are alternatives. But this is why I was using the amp charger.

Default nice to know i am not crazy

i have gotten several of the new minitor v's and have had over 60% of the standard charges fail on me. I have been calling the dealer and they were no help. Having so many go I know its not a coincidence.

Forum Member

Anybody have any updates on this issue?

I have about 20 Minitor Vs, all with charger-amps. I've had them a few years and have had nothing but problems. There is a vicious cycle of bad batteries/pagers/chargers and one apparently shorts out the other. I can't tell the culprit so I replace everything.

The pagers usually just go dead.

The chargers do some funky flashing, usually both lights flash red whether there is a battery and/or pager in it or not.

I know about the battery recall but all my batteries are past that date code.

Several of my chargers were replaced under warranty but that is out now so my bad ones are stacking up.

I keep sending pagers back under the five year warranty over and over again.

I know the regular chargers have fewer problems but I must use the amplified ones.

My other complaint is the spare battery release button breaks too easily.

Any insight appreciated.

Thread Information