Thread: Sad news

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Unhappy Sad news

A fireman in the UK doused himself in a flammable substance in the station yard and ignited it, he has since died of burns-he apparently had just split up from his wife.

Rest in peace Tim Tasane

Forum Member

Ain't nothing I've ever seen worth killing myself over.
    As you said,Rest in Peace.

Forum Member

As ****ty as it is to hear, I never feel as bad for suicide victims.

Its a shame though.

MembersZone Subscriber

An a woman does another in.

Forum Member

Olie and Shank...

Seriously guys, show a little bit of compassion. Yeah, suicide isn't the best choice but obviously this individual thought they couldn't go on any longer. Sometimes loss isn't the easiest thing and people make stupid decisions. I doubt you'd be saying what you are if it was your girlfriend, wife, spouse, whatever that was doing it because you left them.

My condolences to his familiy, friends, and the crews that he worked with. It's always tough dealing with the loss of one of your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Res343cue, you are so right. Unfortunately. During my first military assignment, we had a very similiar circumstance. The year was 1991, it was late summer and we were returning from a 6 week exercise, training reserve force members, in a place called Suffield, Alberta. I had the privilage of being in the first two packets of vehicles, so myself and most of the other drivers were sitting in the Mess (which was located across from the Main Gate to the base. About 45 min after we sat down with our first beers, ambulance, fire and MPs go tear-*****ing through the gate, towards the stables area (we had horses as well as motor vehicles), so we all figure something must have happend at the Riding Club.

Anyhow, maybe a 1/2 hr later more guys start coming in and they ain't looking near as happy as we did. "Rumour" at this time is that there has been an accident in the vehicle park, and maybe someone had died. This gives us all concern - those who were first in about who it might be - we are hearing names, but nothing is confirmed. Within the hour after that, we get a confirmation of sorts. We now have a name, and as it turns out is one of my Squadron mates, a young 22 yr old Trooper. What happened is he got a call from his pregnant girlfriend and (this is speculation) she says "****** OFF". They had been having problems off and on, but I guess this was the last time. "Bernie" went back to his Iltis jeep with an exhaust hose and a roll of gun tape. Hooks the hose to the exhaust pipe, and runs it into the jeep, and tapes the doors and windows closed. (Iltis is a soft top jeep) Apparently he did a good job.

So I echo Res343cue's comments. While I dont necessarily agree that suicide is the best answer, for some folks, they just can't see a better answer, so its the one they choose. Have a heart of some kind guys 'n gals, for a brother we never met, and now we never will - except maybe in the future, if there is a God and a Heaven. NO matter what the Bible-Thumpers say about a person who takes his own life.

I hope you have found peace at last, Tim.

MembersZone Subscriber

For some of you guys who don't have much compassion for people who take their own lives, try thinking about suicide this way.

Depression is a disease, and suicide is how you die from that disease. Just like how cancer is a disease and you die from that.

I don't think anyone kills themselves over one sad life event, they do it because their deeply depressed and they see that as their only way out.

Forum Member

This is from the BBC news website.

An off-duty firefighter has died after suffering severe burns at a North Yorkshire fire station.
    Timothy Tasane, 46, from Northallerton, died in hospital after the incident at the town's fire station on Wednesday.

Colleagues used fire extinguishers to put out the blaze, which did not cause damage to the building. Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.

An inquest into his death, which was opened and adjourned on Thursday, heard Mr Tasane died from "massive" injuries.

The firefighter was taken to the town's Friarage Hospital and was later transferred to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary where he died.

'Enthusiastic firefighter'

A spokesman for the fire service said it was a sad loss of a colleague and that investigations into the incident, which happened on Tuesday night, were under way.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said it would be offering its support to Mr Tasane's family.

Mr Tasane spent several years at Harrogate Fire Station before transferring to Northallerton Fire Station in 1982.

Northallerton Station Manager Tony Buck said: "Tim was devoted to the fire service and served the community of Northallerton for over 24 years.

"Tim was a keen and enthusiastic firefighter and undertook numerous community fire safety roles working with young people, vulnerable people, prisons and local schools."

'Deepest sympathies'

Chief Fire Officer Nigel Hutchinson said: "Having joined the fire service at the age of 18 Tim served the community of North Yorkshire for over 28 years.

"He was a valued member of the service and his loss will be felt by many people throughout the service and local community.

"I would like to express our deepest sympathies to his family and friends, our thoughts are with them at this extremely difficult time."

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Police said that officers were requested to attend the incident.

She added: "An investigation for the coroner is under way. There are no suspicious circumstances apparent."
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

For those who feel no compassion...

Damn it all... this is a Brother we are talking about here. There are Brothers and Sisters who are going theough some heavy shyte in their lives right now and barely holding on to their sanity and thinking of suicide.. would you tell them to "do it" and get itr over with ("the no compassion angle") or get them help?

It's too late for Tim Tasane.. let's keep our Brothers and Sisters safe.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-12-2007 at 04:12 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Rest in Peace

To those that have no compassion, remember not everyone lives a charmed life and anyone of us (especially in this field) can be a few bad turns in life away.

Eric

35monroeffemt
    Firehouse.com Guest

To you people with no compassion. I believe suicide is a very, very stupid and senseless act. Does that mean I have no compassion for those who commit that act. NO WAY. You need to consider how bad that person must have felt to resort to suicide. You also need to think of the families and others that are affected. If a family member or someone close to YOU commited suicide would you behave in the same manner. I highly doubt it.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is easy to think of suicide as a cowards way out. It really is the last action of a very desperate person. I remember when I was about 11 years old and in a friends back yard. The phone rang and I heard a blood curdling scream from my friends mother. A few seconds later my friend came out of the house a said his brother just killed himself. My friends brother had just come back from Vietnam where he was a gunner on a helicopter. I cannot even imagine the demons he fought in his mind that lead him to shoot himself.

Over the years I have known several people (as I'm sure we all do) who killed themselves. I worked on a busy ambulance for two years and responded to my share of suicides. I always found these calls to be the among the most heart wrenching I have been on. The shock and embarrassment of the family, the unanswered questions, the "only ifs" and "should haves", and the pain inflicted on the relatives and friends is hard to take.

Depression can lead to suicide. You cannot tell someone to "snap out of it" or cure them by telling them they have so much going for them. A person who suffers from depression may only need one bad thing to happen to put them at the point where they decide to take their own life. I guy I knew killed himself with a shotgun in his car outside my house a few years ago because his girlfriend (who lived a few doors down) dumped him. He was a bright and well liked person. It is easy to rush to judgement and say no woman in worth killing yourself over, which I will agree. It is highly unlikely that this was the only thing going on in his mind at the time but instead was the catalyst that made him decide to kill himself.

Golzy12 made a valid point-depression is a disease, a chemical imbalance in the brain. No one would ever make light of a diabetic because he or she has a chemical imbalance in their pancrease. Unfortunately, out society treats people with mental illness as if it were their fault.

My sympathies to the family, friends, and co-workers of firefighter Tasane.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 01-12-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Well said, Ken. Aside from the story that I related (I think because it was the first one of someone I knew) there have been others in the time since - fortunately for me, not persons known to me. And of course several "near-misses". All of which, after I joined the FD back home, and the fact that there seemed to be a "rash" of suicides at the navy base I was working, prompted me to apply for and receive training on how to recognize and hopefully deal with/intervene/help someone who might be considering sucide. I would like to think that I have helped at least one person since that time - who was a shipmate on a very lousy long (OP APOLLO/ENDURING FREEDOM 2001) sea deployment.

In reality, all we can do is offer our support to those who remain, and our prayers to those who have chosen "the path".

Forum Member

Mental illnesses are still illnesses, just not as easy to see.

RIP, brother. I hope his family finds peace.

Forum Member

I feel as if several of those "no compassion" comments were derected at me, and Id like to further clarify... I do have very much sympathy for him and his family, as stated in my origional post, I just don't have AS MUCH sympathy for someone who commits suicide, as I do from someone who say.... died trying to save someone... If I have to take the role as the *******, I will, because I truly feel there is always a better solution than suicide. Try and get help from someone. Is he the only one to have been left in a relationship? No. I feel sorry for his family, friends, co workers, and I feel truly sorry for the fact that he felt there was no way out. Its always terrible to hear about the loss of someone, and yes, I probably would feel much differently if it was someone close to me. I do feel however that if something bothered me that much, I have many people I could go to before resulting to suicide.

RIP
    Last edited by OlieCan; 01-17-2007 at 05:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its not that I don't care for those that end their life or their families, I do. I just feel sorry that it was over a women/man, what power they have over each other. The way things go on, and the things that happen are the exact reason I don't and believe in marriage and never will. In todays society it is more acceptable to get married and use each other to get what a person needs or wants and then decide they want a divorce. Just another excuse not to be responsible for actions that may hurt somebody.

Forum Member

Rest in peace brother. I can only imagine what you were going through. It is a sad time for everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

I gotta go with Gonzo here.....

Yeah, it sucks, and yeah I believe it is a cheap way out but this was a brother. We gotta look out for each other. I also believe that he was not himself, not thinking clearly and was way out of character.

Very sad.
    RIP
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information