Thread: First Interview

Forum Member

Default First Interview

Hey there. I am scheduled for my first Fire Department interview next thursday and I just wanted to say thanks for all the input on here and ask for advice.

I'd like to thank BcLepore and CaptBob for their websites. I don't think I would have a concept of how to prepare for this interview.

Secondly I need to ask advice . In accordance with CaptBob's advice , I have drawn an outline of my thoughts for the inteview based on his 30 questions. I am going to post them here for anyone to offer ther thoughts or feelings on. I really appreciate any honest criticism .

Thanks . Josh Saunders.

1. Tell us about yourself.

-I am a 24 year old aspiring firefighter from Winston-Salem.
    -I graduated from East Forsyth High School in 2000
    - I first I have a wonderful girlfriend of 7 years whom I can't wait to marry.
    - My dad was a winston-salem firefighter for 12 years. he was part of my inspiration to pursue this career.
    -I am an avid music fan and musician.
    - I enjoy jogging , basketball and cycling.
    -I am a lifelong moravian
    2. Why do you want to be a firefighter? When did you decide on this career?

I want to become a firefighter because it is the culmination of a lifelong desire to serve a greater cause than serving just my own intersts. The thought of becoming a firefighter is uplifiting and fulfilling to me in many ways most of all spiritually and emotionally.

In the emotional aspect , I have great memories of my fathers time as a firefighter. I grew up around fire stations , around winston-salem fire stations. I saw first hand the camaraderie and family atmosphere that existed between the fire crew, it struck me in later years that I had not seen that same relationship in my other career endeavours. That lack of what I had come to value made me evaluate my life and what was important to me . I have the need and desire to not just have a job but a career that I can incorporate in to my life with consideration of my core values. I feel living the life of a firefighter, with the responsiblities it entails will fulfill those desires.

On the spiritual level , I think a lot of people ask the question , "what is the meaning of life". I know I must have asked that question 1,000,000 times. I searched for the answer fruitlessly for a long long time . The answer was only revealed to me when I surrendered my life to God. In my quest to understands god will, I came to understand that the reason he put us here on this earth was to please him . The way that he asks we please him is to love him and uphold his values . His values are unconditional love and respect and patience towards others, to find peace in serving others. I prayed for a way to strengthen my bond with others and become a valuable part of others lives. I feel the way I can serve others is to become a dedicated firefighter,a dedicated community servant..

3. What is the job of a firefighter? Are you qualified?
    A firefighter is a community servant who is given the great task of protecting and preserving lives and property.He is the first responder in many emergency situations including terrain and structual fires as well as medical emergencies. He is responsible for upholding the community fire laws and codes. He is a public safety educator and mentor to all. He is responsible , respectable and trusted throughout the community. He deals closely in the lives of people thoughout the community in many ways.The public entrusts their very lives to us as well as their worldy possessions.It is of the utmost importance that the individual be responsible and trustworthy because of that.
    While I have not gained any firefighter experience or eduaction to date , I still feel qualified . I have no greater desire than to live a life of servitude and responsiblity and uphold the values of a firefighter. Because of my understanding of a firefighters life and job , I feel that gives me a unique qualification .

4. What have you done to prepare for this position?
    I have prepared mentally and physically for this career. I have spent so much energy and time coming to the conclusion that firefighting is what my lifes work will be. I considered many paths to obtaining this goal . Contimued education, volunteer firefighting , military service and other related occupations just to get a taste of my dream.
    When I had no doubt in my mind that firefighting was my passion I weighed 320 lbs. I knew that was not someting that was acceptable or practical in the fire service. I finally had my motivation to right my wrongs. In the course of the next 8 months I lost 75 lbs. I copleted my physical agilty test on october 20 exactly 8 months after I started my new lifestyle.
    I have conslutled with many resources to obtain the knolwedge necessary to jumpstarting my career in the fire service . I have prepared in every way that I can think of to pursue this dream.

5. What are you bringing to the job?
    I will bring my undying passion for the life of a firefighter. When something is close to your heart and something that you literally dream about it becomes easy to excel in that area. Firefighting is the endeavour that is closest to my heart in this world. Knowing that , I know that I will be an exceptional firefighter, I have no doubt in my mind about that.
    I feel that my passion and dedication will be well known to others around me and will be an example to those I may get the chance to mentor some day.

6. Why do you want to work for this city or agency?
    Winston Salem is near and dear to me. I was born here, I lived my formative years here, I know the streets , I know the weather, I know the people and the places. I know the good spots and bad. I know all the good places to eat and to pass my time with a friend. My family lives here, eveyone I hold near to my heart is here. This city is home and when im away im not as happy . Even after a long vacation it is always good to see Winston-Salem. It really is just simply "home" to me.

This Fire Department is my first choice out of all the fantastic departments including Greensboro.I choose it for the simple fact I grew up in and around Winston-Salem Fire Stations. This deparmtent has become a permanent wonderful memory for me.I remeber the smells, the sounds of the alarms, the trucks,and most of all the people. No department I would ever work for would give me as much satisfaction as working in my hometown for my home department. I want to become part of the family again.

7. What do you know about his city or agency?
    This department has been serving Winston-Salem since 1913. It has , at my last count , 18 stations (#1-19 excluding #13) and operates in three districts each with 5-6 stations. In recent years WSFD has increased its response to medical emergency calls and has purchased an increasing amount of medical emergency apparati. Hazardous material handling has also become an increasing focus for the department. Cheif John Gist is the current Fire Chief serving as fire chief since 1998. Deputy Chief John Lucas has served as Deputy Chief since 1998 as well. He currently oversees the fire suppression divison of the department as well as recruiting and assists in long range planning . District 1 Chief Sechrist oversees new apparatus purchasing as well as hazardous materials teams, medical response programs and the apparatus maintenance shop. District 2 Chief Farmer oversees euipment maitenance as well as construction and station maintenance. District 3 Chief Williams oversees the training division.

8. What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
    I like jogging outdoors. I lift weights. I write and play music in a jazz rock fusion band. I love to be outdoors and love to hike. On the other hand I love movies and computer games.

9. What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
    My strengths are passion , compassion, honesty, loyalty and dedication. My most valuable strenght is my resolve to achieve a goal, once I take a situataion personally and hold it close to my heart. I see it through to the end without fail . My biggest weakness is self criticism.In the past it has caused me to over analyze my role in a situation , wether it be a negative or positive role ,to the point it altered my perception in a way that may not fit the situation. Realizing that weakness I have always tried to have more self-confidenece and trust my instincts in those types of situations.

10. What would your employer say about you?
    Well, I have been a family friend of Roy's for a long time. i would think he would say I have been punctual, always willing to learn, that I am responsible and efficient with my time. My boss happens to be a dear friend and mentor who has helped me pursue this dream and he would tell you how much I want the life of a firefighter.
    How Would You Handle the Following Scenarios?

12. Drinking or drugs on the job?
    The public holds firefighters to a standard of decency that exceeds most normal professions. They are role models for the community. This high standard would dictate that a responsible mature decisions be made at all times. To take any kind of substance that would impede your performance in an emergency situation where lives are at stake, would not be a mature and responsible decision. Because of the critical nature of firefighters jobs, there should be a zero tolerance policy for substance abuse on the job and all incidents should be reported by the individual or the person who witnesses the act.

13. Stealing on the job?
    When firefighters report to the scene of an emergency , they again are trusted with life and property. If a firefighter steals , he could potentialy destroy the trust from the public who we serve everyday. Without that trust we can not preform to the best of our ability's. If a firefighter has a moment of weakness and steals and is witnessed by myself or another coworker should question his intention and never accused. If it's determined that he was trying to steal he should be encouraged to report the incident to our superiors. If he refuses I would offer to go with him for moral support , if he still refused I would have no choice to report him or her.

14. Conflict with another employee?
    No question about it, if you work with others , there will be some sort of conflict of opinion, its just a matter of time. I think any situation where you have a conflict of any nature , you have to be able to evaluate the situation with an objective standpoint and be mature enough to accept the fact you may be wrong.

15. Irate citizen?
    If a citizen is Irate is is usually due to an anger associated with some type of fear or misunderstanding. I would assure the citizen that I am here to help them no matter what the situation was , and then I would listen to what they had to say about the situation. I would try everything in my power to comfort them and reassure thme that the stituation would be resolved. If i could not help them I would escelate the situation to someone that could. In most cases any irate person is looking for comfort.

16. An employee crisis at an emergency?
    Expand on this one ?

17. Sexual harassment?
    Sexual harassment is a sign of disrespect and poor judgement. Being that most firefighters are mature enough to make mature decisions , I don't think I would witness sexual harassment. If I happened to witness it , I would encourage the victim to report the situation. I would also give counsel and moral support to the offender and encourage him to admit the wrong doing to our immedeate supervisor.

18. Racial situation?
    I think this is becoming less and less of a problem today. However prejudice may exist in many people . It causes tension and anger. If I were to witness a racialy tense situation I would try to defuse the situation by seperating the indviduals involved and offer counsel to both parties , I would try to defuse the core prejudice that is causing the tension and reassure each party that we are all on the same team and that we all like and respect each other and for each of the individuals to give each other another chance.

19. Conflicting orders at an emergency?
    In a semi-militairy orginazation such as the fire dpeartment there may arise situations where a superior officer gives you a task or an order that conflicts with another officers order that you already have recieved. For instance your captain may send you on a task and on your way to carry out the task , you encounter a chief who gives you a conflicting order. In this type of scenario I believe the correct response would be to inform the chief that your captain has given you orders and ask the cheif if I should continue with the captains orders or carry out his orders. If the cheif decides you chould continue your orders with the captain then no harm done and you continue your original task. If he overrides the captains decision you have to respect the chain of command and follow the cheifs order. However you must either inform the captain yourself of the change in orders or place the responsibity back on the cheif to inform the captain of the change. In either case the original order should be acknowleged in some respect and the captain should be informed by either party.

20. An order that could place you in great danger or be morally wrong?
    I believe your moral convictions are one of the greatest assets in making decisions and they should always be trusted. I can't imagine a stiuation where a leader in the fire department would cause you to have reservations about an order but if that were to happen it is absolutely important that you let your concern be known and you need to be prepared to back up your concern with mature reason. Based on the response you recieve after you let your concern be known you can proceed as long as your doubts have been addressed. If you feel that you still have strong doubts about the situation you should inform the officer that you still feel morally obligated to consult with another member of leadership. In any case you must hold on to your moral conviction and always do what you feel is right .

21. What do you say when you don't know an answer to a question?
    I feel honesty is the best policy whenever you can't answer a question with cretainty. You never wan't to give someone misleading or inaccurate information. Always apologize and tell them you don't know but you should feel obligated to let them know that you will try to research the situation and give them an answer when you have collected all the information necessary. Make it a point to keep in touch with that person to inform them of your progress .

22. Are you on any other hiring lists? What would you do if another city called you?
    No . I am not on a hiring list.

23. When can you start if we offered you the job?
    I feel obligated to give my employer two weeks notice but I could start two weeks from today if offered the job .

24. How far do you want to go in the fire service? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    I see myself as a husband , father and a trusted and respected senior firefighter or Engineer if possible. Whenever I know and love something with all my heart, I know I will try to be a mentor in that subject to others. I can say with confidence that firefighting will be that subject . For the rest of my life I can tell you where I want to be and thats fighting fire along side my brothers until my time has come and I am called away from it.

25. What are the quality traits of a firefighter? Which one is the most important to you?
    Courage , Integrity, and compassion. Compassion is the most important to me becasue the root cause of your becoming a firefighter should be love and desire to serve another. The only way you can really appreciate your work as a firefighter is to feel immeasurable compassion for your fellow man and once you recieve gratitude from those people you feel compassion for , you feel fulfilled.

26. Have you ever been in an emergency situation? Tell us what you did?
    I have never honestly been in an emergency situation but if I had been I imagine despite all human instincts of self preservation that I would be moved by my love for others and rise to the occasion. Time remains to determine that but I already know in my heart what will happen .

27. What word would best describes you in a positive way? A negative way?
    In a positive way I would say passionate. I can't tell you how my heart almost bursts with ambition and pride when I think about how I am going to conduct my life as a firefighter. I feel so strongly and I am so passionate about something I have yet to achieve and still I know that I can put all my heart and energy into this because of my passion. It gives me confidence , it solidifies my resolve.

In a negative way I would say I analyze things to much and suffer from lack of confidence at times. Sometimes I am my own worst critic and replay my mistakes 1,000 times in my mind. After I analyze things to much I start to draw conclusions about the situation that may not be the case. Knowing this I work to not come down so hard on myself and try to have ahealtier attitude about my defeats.

29. Why would we select you over the other candidates?
    Speaking from my heart , I would tell you that there are few if any who hinge their heart on this career as much as I do. I am a firefighter in my heart and soul and if given the chance to show you , I will be a lifelong dedicated employee and family member of this department.

30. Do you have anything to add?

Forum Member

Hey Josh.. those sound good. Here's the question I have a problem with..

What are your 3 strengths/3 weaknesses?

My three strengths:
    1. I set goals and follow through. I set short term and long term goals for myself. A short term goal I had was to attend a 3 day Firefighter training event. A long term goal I have is finish EMT within 6 months.

2. I work until the task is completed. I do not leave any kind of work or issue half resolved. I finish everything.

3. I always like to stay busy and learning everything about Firefighting. I like to spend most of my day studying ventilation and fire attack. Ventilation is tricky so every chance I get, I crack open the book and review terms. At the volunteer station, we train on ventilation. I also study many other topics but those are the two I am working on right now. If I am at a red light or waiting on anything, I will open my Firefighter pocket guide and begin quickly reviewing.

3 Weaknesses:

1. I always end up regretting things, such as should I have done this, or I wonder what would of happened if I did that instead?

2. I put a lot of self criticism on myself. If I score a "B" on any kind of Firefighter or Fire Service test, I will come down hard on myself and be down about it for sometimes a day or two. I add a lot of stress to myself when I do this.

3. I take things personally sometimes. I don't mean around the station or with my fellow Firefighters, I mean on a call, and a patient or victim becomes verbally or physically abusive, I take that to heart and get down myself because I always get a feeling maybe it wasn't because I did my job well enough?

Hey Cap Bob or Chief Lepore, not to take anything away from this guy's original post, but how are those for answers? Anything I should add, or leave out?

Forum Member

ACfire1 Your strengths are OK. Consider starting each one with a key word like loyalty, persistence, dependable, reliable. You only need to give a brief explanation for one of your strengths, not all three.

Youíre too serious about your weakness. They usually only ask for one weakness. You wrote:

1. I always end up regretting things, such as should I have done this, or I wonder what would of happened if I did that instead?

2. I put a lot of self criticism on myself. If I score a "B" on any kind of Firefighter or Fire Service test, I will come down hard on myself and be down about it for sometimes a day or two. I add a lot of stress to myself when I do this.

3. I take things personally sometimes. I don't mean around the station or with my fellow Firefighters, I mean on a call, and a patient or victim becomes verbally or physically abusive, I take that to heart and get down myself because I always get a feeling maybe it wasn't because I did my job well enough?

Reply: These almost make you look anal. Is this who we want to stick in a firehouse to drive everyone else nuts?

Hereís another question I just received on Weakness:

In regards to strengths and weaknesses. I feel my weakness is I kick my self when I do something wrong, Iím really hard on my self if I make a mistake. I have a good signature story to go along with this. Is this a good weakness to use or should I keep it simple and use spelling (Iím terrible at spelling)? Louis

Reply: Oh, yea that's the guy we want to put in a station who's always kicking himself when something goes wrong. Keep it simple with spelling.

From Louis: Sounds good, I will keep it simple and go with spelling as my weakness. Thank you.

Hereís more that might help:

Strengths and Weaknesses

I was going over some questions for interviews, and I was hoping someone could help me with an answer. What are good answers for the question; what are your strengths and weaknesses? What are some bad answers? ó John

Reply: Letís start with what your answers are first.

O.K. If asked those questions I would probably respond with something like; My strengths are education, willingness to start from the bottom, my diverse background in fields other than fire fighting, and the fact that I have experience but am very adaptable to my current surroundings. My weaknesses are occasional tunnel vision, excitability, and no full-time experience. There are probably a thousand faults but you get the point. Where do I go from here? John

First understand that if we start giving answers, everyone would clone them and they would lose their value. I encourage candidates do use their own answers, reflecting their personal life experience.

This question can be asked in many ways, i.e.: What attributes do you think a firefighter should possess, or what qualities, what strengths etc. I think you can come up with better strengths. Education, starting at the bottom and a diverse background are not really strengths. They are what youíve done to prepare for the position. Areas relating to loyalty, honesty, and being dependable etc. are strengths.

When youíre deciding a weakness, use something that might have been a weakness, but you have already done something to correct it i.e., you had a problem speaking in front of groups. You have improved this situation by taking a public speaking class or joining Toastmasters.

Since firefighters are in a living environment, we would not be looking for someone with occasional tunnel vision and excitability. No full-time experience is not a good choice for a weakness either.

Got a call from a candidate. He lives in Washington now and his oral was in 4 days. He got his Firefighter1 from an academy in Southern California. He said it hasnít helped much trying to get a job. He has now been a medic for 8 months with no luck in testing. In the most pathetic monotone voice he said this is the department he really wants to work for and (with absolutely no enthusiasm) he will be one of the 15 hired.

He asked if he could run one of his answers on what a negative is for him that his firefighter buddies and other friends helped him work out. Sure, shoot. Joel said a negative for me is my past. Even though I got a DUI and some other minor stuff, thatís not who I really am.

I couldnít believe my ears. Uh, Joel that answer would only open a can of worms. Donít use it.

Joel said, OK how about this one. Another negative for me is my paramedic skills. This job will help me improve them. Again, I couldnít believe my ears. Yep, thatís the guy we want to hire, the one with the poor medic skills. Canít use this one either.

As already mentioned, everyone becomes an expert when they get hired. The answers Joel worked out with some firefighters and friends were definitely not helping but hurting him. The bigger problem is he didnít even have a clue. This was just one answer. How bad were the others?

I would like to say this was an isolated incident. We encounter these bad answers on a regular basis. It is especially painful in an actual oral board where we see the candidates die a slow death one question after another. Then the candidates wonder why they donít get hired. This is an area where we try to keep candidates from stepping on the land mines.

After a little probing, we did find a negative Joel could use that he was working on to improve.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

My post got hijacked !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSaundersFF View Post
    My post got hijacked !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not really. You posted a lot to be digested. First JSaundersFF have you practiced your answers with a recorder? Secondly, you take a great risk that someone will hijack your answers and use them. How would you feel if you went to your next interview on the 3rd day of oral boards. As you're giving your answers the panel starts looking at each other. Problem could be that 3 other candidates have already used your answers and stories word for word and now the panel doesn't know who they belong too.

This is the problem with the books with suggested answers and cadidates from college or academy programs. You would think the candidates would personalize their answers. Most don't. We could tell bythe second answer where the candidate got their answers. Do you think this affects their score?

Absolutely!!!

One major error you could be making on your script is saying you dad was a firefighter. Itís tricky. Itís a balancing act. It could hurt you. Too many candidates club the oral board over the head with a dad or other relative who is or has been a firefighter. The panel can interpret this as asking for more points.
    With my son Rob we used it this way: Iíve wanted to be a firefighter most of my life because members of my family have been firefighters. He never said who. If they wanted to know they would ask.

Do you still want input on the rests of your answers?

Captain Bob

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Not really. You posted a lot to be digested. First JSaundersFF have you practiced your answers with a recorder? Secondly, you take a great risk that someone will hijack your answers and use them. How would you feel if you went to your next interview on the 3rd day of oral boards. As you're giving your answers the panel starts looking at each other. Problem could be that 3 other candidates have already used your answers and stories word for word and now the panel doesn't know who they belong too.

This is the problem with the books with suggested answers and cadidates from college or academy programs. You would think the candidates would personalize their answers. Most don't. We could tell bythe second answer where the candidate got their answers. Do you think this affects their score?

Absolutely!!!

One major error you could be making on your script is saying you dad was a firefighter. Itís tricky. Itís a balancing act. It could hurt you. Too many candidates club the oral board over the head with a dad or other relative who is or has been a firefighter. The panel can interpret this as asking for more points.
    With my son Rob we used it this way: Iíve wanted to be a firefighter most of my life because members of my family have been firefighters. He never said who. If they wanted to know they would ask.

Do you still want input on the rests of your answers?

Captain Bob
    I would hope no one else that may get an interview would use my answers. The unique thing is , its no secret that my dad was a firefighter to this department. He was one of them and is a good friend of all of the guys im interviewing with next week. Truthfully part of my inspiration was my dad and I want to be honest about it. Yes, I would love more input.

Forum Member

I would hope no one else that may get an interview would use my answers. The unique thing is , its no secret that my dad was a firefighter to this department. He was one of them and is a good friend of all of the guys im interviewing with next week. Truthfully part of my inspiration was my dad and I want to be honest about it. Yes, I would love more input.
    All the more reason to not bring up your dad. If they already know why take the risk of offending just one rater that could affect your score enough to be out of the running? Get in on your own merit.

Again, did you practice these answers with a recorder before you posted them?

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I want to take your advice and remove my answers and discuss this with you via PM. I dont have an edit option though help !!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

I want to take your advice and remove my answers and discuss this with you via PM. I dont have an edit option though help !!!!!!!!!!

Consider upgrading from a guest to a member using the same ID. It might give you the other functions.

Forum Member

JSaundersFF e-mail me at captbob@eatstress.com or call 888-238-3959.

Forum Member

Default Religion????

Yes, I would love more input.

OK, you wrote in your answer why you want to be a firefighter:

On the spiritual level , I think a lot of people ask the question , "what is the meaning of life". I know I must have asked that question 1,000,000 times. I searched for the answer fruitlessly for a long long time . The answer was only revealed to me when I surrendered my life to God. In my quest to understands god will, I came to understand that the reason he put us here on this earth was to please him . The way that he asks we please him is to love him and uphold his values . His values are unconditional love and respect and patience towards others, to find peace in serving others. I prayed for a way to strengthen my bond with others and become a valuable part of others lives. I feel the way I can serve others is to become a dedicated firefighter,a dedicated community servant..

Reply: If youíre a candidate you had better be praying because your competition is. I would suggest you not bring up religion as part of your answer because you never know who is sitting on the panel and how they would receive, intrepret and accept this answer. It could only take one panel member to give you a score that could keep you out of the process. Some panel members could think they wouldnít want to put you in a station where you might drive everyone nuts talking about religion.

I still wonder if you practiced these answers with a recorder before you posted them?

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

when is a good time for me to call you bob ?

Forum Member

Most anytime. Leave a message if I don't pick up.

Forum Member

Capt Bob, on the question about "What you liked best about your last job? What you liked least?" I answered..

Best- The teamwork atmosphere and the family feel, we worked hard together everyday.

Least- There were one or two people at the job that liked to tell management every little thing that went on to try to move up in the company.

Are those good? I know you have to tread lightly on what you say about previous jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ACfire1 View Post
    Capt Bob, on the question about "What you liked best about your last job? What you liked least?" I answered..

Best- The teamwork atmosphere and the family feel, we worked hard together everyday.

Least- There were one or two people at the job that liked to tell management every little thing that went on to try to move up in the company.

Are those good? I know you have to tread lightly on what you say about previous jobs.
    Tread lightly. They can tell more about you by what you say about your previous job and employer than a lot of other things you say. Bad mouthing other employees is not your best move.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

JSaundersFF wrote:

4. What have you done to prepare for this position?
    I have prepared mentally and physically for this career. I have spent so much energy and time coming to the conclusion that firefighting is what my lifes work will be. I considered many paths to obtaining this goal . Contimued education, volunteer firefighting , military service and other related occupations just to get a taste of my dream.

When I had no doubt in my mind that firefighting was my passion I weighed 320 lbs. I knew that was not someting that was acceptable or practical in the fire service. I finally had my motivation to right my wrongs. In the course of the next 8 months I lost 75 lbs. I copleted my physical agilty test on october 20 exactly 8 months after I started my new lifestyle.
    I have conslutled with many resources to obtain the knolwedge necessary to jumpstarting my career in the fire service . I have prepared in every way that I can think of to pursue this dream.

First I wouldn't bring up the weight. It's common for firefighters to put on weight during their career and this might cause doubt your weight will return plus.

A better approach to this question is:

Start with your education and keep it in chronological order. Then your experience in order. End with those things you can tie your name to. Things where you were part of a team, took something from inception to end or were part of a committee that established a procedure or skill.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

meh. I bombed. My hope is shredded right now. I was nervous despite the tape recorder practice, and they threw me for a loop with a math test which some of that stuff I havent seen since high school. I dunno. I answered the questions well but I didnt have the confidence I thought I would have. Looks like another year of heartache ...

Thread Information