MembersZone Subscriber

I passed, but BARELY. They're pretty strict. Just prep and you'll do fine.

I know some people had said they were up for medicals today. How did everything go? Did they tell you anything at BHS?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to let you know in 2006 the FDNY lost only 510 members to retirements and resignations...expect that number to remain stable.

As for how that translates into hiring levels...that is up the the Dept and City.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

For the medical how long do they put you on the treadmill for? I know there is a warmup of like 3 minutes right? And then what, another 5 min or so?
    I have my medical coming up, and I am in the 4,500's.

MembersZone Subscriber

They will keep you on for 5:12. If you are fluttering around the limit, a little over then a little under they will keep you on longer to see how you do. Perhaps 7:12.

4500's? When do you have a medical date set for? You should train as hard as possible for as long as possible. I didn't and it was a nail biter. Bad on my part, but surprised at the medical date being so early.

Forum Member

I go next week the 30th. I know I was so surprised, it was only last month in December that I went for the intial investigation part. They must be moving real fast! Do you do anyting else physical besides the stairmaster for the MED?

MembersZone Subscriber

No, the stairmaster is the only real work out.

Wow, this month for 4500 medicals?

Someone MUST know something becuase they wouldn't do all this without reason.

Forum Member

Yep it is all moving quick. I wonder how far in the list they will get with the medicals? But it will be awhile before they reach 4,500s for the academy. Anyone know how far in the list they reached for March people in the academy? 3,200?

MembersZone Subscriber

If 2:1 continues then they will reach about 3700, but I'm hoping that the number of people turning it down will increase. I'd be A LOT happier if they made it to 3800 or something like that.

Will there be another class of 300 to follow? I've heard fall of '07, but why so late?

Forum Member

Default Fdny 2043

What are the chances of someone getting hired with asthma. I heard that they disqualify people for that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VladAmok View Post
    What are the chances of someone getting hired with asthma. I heard that they disqualify people for that?
    Yes they do. You will be around lots of smoke and I'm sure you don't want to have an asthma attack at a job.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Guys, I have a couple questions.

How many reference letters do they send out? Two people that I put down for references have gotten their letters. I cant remember how many references we put down, is it two or three?

Second, do they send letters to all of your past jobs or just your current job?

Lastly, how do you know if you passed your psych and blood work?

Do you just wait to see if you get a letter for the academy?

Thanks boys

Forum Member

You'll know if you failed the psych or medical. They won't let you know you passed. Just wait about 2 weeks after and call your investigator and ask.

MembersZone Subscriber

SOmeone may have asked this already, but how often do people have a medical and a psych and then not get hired because the list never gets high enough to reach them. Does that happen or not really?

Forum Member

42XX: had med and psych. Just waiting and HOPING they reach my number before the list expires.

Forum Member

4,500's here, went for medical as well. What I heard was the March Class is going to be around 250 guys. Meaning they may run through about 500 names on the list if it is 2:1. That would put the list up to around 3,600 or 3,700 after the March class. I also heard that after the March academy class, the future academy classes will be smaller in number closer to 200 or 150 in each and the next class after the March class will not start until at least September due to some slowing down. Anybody hear anything similar or different?

Forum Member

Has anyone in the low 4800 received any info packets in the mail?

Forum Member

Hey gang,

A bit of information from good sources:

Feb 26 will be the swearing date for the March class. The class will consist of 300 probies and will last 18 weeks.

This will mean 5 weeks of more information to be covered in classrooms above the usual 10 weeks. There will be a larger emphasis on building construction, building inspection, and classes are more likely to be grouped together based around a building construction topic. CFR-D on Fridays, not EMT.

Be ready to run the 1.5 mile in under 13 min to stay in the class. You will also be asked to do 30 situps, 30 pushups, and 4 pullups that first week. Be ready to run LONG DISTANCES! 4 mile runs over the Triboro Bridge or into Manhattan are not rare. If you are not prepared, life will be hell.

The next class will also be 300 probies, 23 weeks, and will kick off in the fall. Classes are not expected to go longer than 23 weeks.

IMPORTANT: Probie pay will go up after 13 weeks, no matter how long your probie school is going to run!

Hope it helps...I'm out in 2 weeks! - #27xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post
    Hey gang,
    You will also be asked to do 30 situps, 30 pushups, and 4 pullups that first week. Be ready to run LONG DISTANCES! 4 mile runs over the Triboro Bridge or into Manhattan are not rare.
    What's the time standard for these events?
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Called the other day to check on an address, was told packets should go out to 4800's in March.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope they're still sending packets! Thats good news for everyone. It means the MUST need more people and boy do I hope that's the case.

FatherPierce, thanks for the info. Do they start you on the long distance runs right off the bat? I've been ramping up my running, but 4 miles is still along one for me.

How else has it been? Congrats on moving towards the end, how did it all go?

Any word on class after Fall? If they really are moving to a 2 larger/longer classes a year schedule, fall would make sense. It would set them, up for a Late Summer/Fall and then a Winter. Hence 2 classes a year.
    Last edited by Kanoobs; 02-02-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Forum Member

They'll build you up to running... the first or 2nd day is the first PT test... the biggest thing is the run in under 13 mins. the Pushups are at their count for a minute, situps for a minute, and 4 pullups... if you fail these - you go to remedial, which means you stay after or show up early to hit the gym for an hour a couple times a week... it's not that big of a deal and you get more exercise out of it... but it starts you off with a bad name and a black stripe on your shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LPFD53 View Post
    They'll build you up to running... the first or 2nd day is the first PT test... the biggest thing is the run in under 13 mins. the Pushups are at their count for a minute, situps for a minute, and 4 pullups... if you fail these - you go to remedial, which means you stay after or show up early to hit the gym for an hour a couple times a week... it's not that big of a deal and you get more exercise out of it... but it starts you off with a bad name and a black stripe on your shirt.

Not that big of a deal huh? Well junior just wait until you have to rely on some fat bag of sh*t who didn't care enough to show up in shape for a job that presumably they would kill for. There are literally 1000s who will take your spot in a heartbeat and you don't think it is a big deal that you can't even perform those menial physical tasks on day one?

If they weren't disciplined enough to show up on day 1 in shape and ready to go, what makes you think they will maintain their physical fitness after they are out in the field without a DI looking over them? How much do you think they care about knowing the job and being in the right place at the right time? Can they be depended on to do the absolute best?

There was a time when there was no such thing as remedial...I wonder why that is no more?

Not a good attitude to start out with. Try keeping your mouth shut if this is the advice you are going to spread around here.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard that they are going to hire everyone off of List #2043. Has anybody else heard this or does anybody have any more information about this?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't believe that they would say anything like that. They hire what they need and thats that. I don't think that anyone other than DCAS pays much attention to what list it is. DCAS gives the list to FDNY and they just investigate and do medicals. I don't think they plan on hiring EVERYONE. They could do it, but that would be purely based on need and not a predetermined plan to "hire everyone". I hope they keep going, I need them to.

Best of luck!

Forum Member

Out of NYC area.
    I'm trying to get an idea of where I can live. Can anyone give me an idea of where to look. Im not picky, just want a place not horribly far from the Rock and in FDNY Probie price range (i.e. less than $95 a month. lol) just kidding.

What neighborhoods should I look in?

thanks, guys

Thread Information