Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Has anyone in the low 4800 received any info packets in the mail?

Forum Member

Hey gang,

A bit of information from good sources:

Feb 26 will be the swearing date for the March class. The class will consist of 300 probies and will last 18 weeks.

This will mean 5 weeks of more information to be covered in classrooms above the usual 10 weeks. There will be a larger emphasis on building construction, building inspection, and classes are more likely to be grouped together based around a building construction topic. CFR-D on Fridays, not EMT.

Be ready to run the 1.5 mile in under 13 min to stay in the class. You will also be asked to do 30 situps, 30 pushups, and 4 pullups that first week. Be ready to run LONG DISTANCES! 4 mile runs over the Triboro Bridge or into Manhattan are not rare. If you are not prepared, life will be hell.

The next class will also be 300 probies, 23 weeks, and will kick off in the fall. Classes are not expected to go longer than 23 weeks.

IMPORTANT: Probie pay will go up after 13 weeks, no matter how long your probie school is going to run!

Hope it helps...I'm out in 2 weeks! - #27xx

Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post
    Hey gang,
    You will also be asked to do 30 situps, 30 pushups, and 4 pullups that first week. Be ready to run LONG DISTANCES! 4 mile runs over the Triboro Bridge or into Manhattan are not rare.
    What's the time standard for these events?
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Called the other day to check on an address, was told packets should go out to 4800's in March.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope they're still sending packets! Thats good news for everyone. It means the MUST need more people and boy do I hope that's the case.

FatherPierce, thanks for the info. Do they start you on the long distance runs right off the bat? I've been ramping up my running, but 4 miles is still along one for me.

How else has it been? Congrats on moving towards the end, how did it all go?

Any word on class after Fall? If they really are moving to a 2 larger/longer classes a year schedule, fall would make sense. It would set them, up for a Late Summer/Fall and then a Winter. Hence 2 classes a year.
    Last edited by Kanoobs; 02-02-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member

They'll build you up to running... the first or 2nd day is the first PT test... the biggest thing is the run in under 13 mins. the Pushups are at their count for a minute, situps for a minute, and 4 pullups... if you fail these - you go to remedial, which means you stay after or show up early to hit the gym for an hour a couple times a week... it's not that big of a deal and you get more exercise out of it... but it starts you off with a bad name and a black stripe on your shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LPFD53 View Post
    They'll build you up to running... the first or 2nd day is the first PT test... the biggest thing is the run in under 13 mins. the Pushups are at their count for a minute, situps for a minute, and 4 pullups... if you fail these - you go to remedial, which means you stay after or show up early to hit the gym for an hour a couple times a week... it's not that big of a deal and you get more exercise out of it... but it starts you off with a bad name and a black stripe on your shirt.

Not that big of a deal huh? Well junior just wait until you have to rely on some fat bag of sh*t who didn't care enough to show up in shape for a job that presumably they would kill for. There are literally 1000s who will take your spot in a heartbeat and you don't think it is a big deal that you can't even perform those menial physical tasks on day one?

If they weren't disciplined enough to show up on day 1 in shape and ready to go, what makes you think they will maintain their physical fitness after they are out in the field without a DI looking over them? How much do you think they care about knowing the job and being in the right place at the right time? Can they be depended on to do the absolute best?

There was a time when there was no such thing as remedial...I wonder why that is no more?

Not a good attitude to start out with. Try keeping your mouth shut if this is the advice you are going to spread around here.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard that they are going to hire everyone off of List #2043. Has anybody else heard this or does anybody have any more information about this?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't believe that they would say anything like that. They hire what they need and thats that. I don't think that anyone other than DCAS pays much attention to what list it is. DCAS gives the list to FDNY and they just investigate and do medicals. I don't think they plan on hiring EVERYONE. They could do it, but that would be purely based on need and not a predetermined plan to "hire everyone". I hope they keep going, I need them to.

Best of luck!

Forum Member

Out of NYC area.
    I'm trying to get an idea of where I can live. Can anyone give me an idea of where to look. Im not picky, just want a place not horribly far from the Rock and in FDNY Probie price range (i.e. less than $95 a month. lol) just kidding.

What neighborhoods should I look in?

thanks, guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Not that big of a deal huh? Well junior just wait until you have to rely on some fat bag of sh*t who didn't care enough to show up in shape for a job that presumably they would kill for. There are literally 1000s who will take your spot in a heartbeat and you don't think it is a big deal that you can't even perform those menial physical tasks on day one?

If they weren't disciplined enough to show up on day 1 in shape and ready to go, what makes you think they will maintain their physical fitness after they are out in the field without a DI looking over them? How much do you think they care about knowing the job and being in the right place at the right time? Can they be depended on to do the absolute best?

There was a time when there was no such thing as remedial...I wonder why that is no more?

Not a good attitude to start out with. Try keeping your mouth shut if this is the advice you are going to spread around here.

FTM-PTB
    You do "get more exercise out of it."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post
    Out of NYC area.
    I'm trying to get an idea of where I can live. Can anyone give me an idea of where to look. Im not picky, just want a place not horribly far from the Rock and in FDNY Probie price range (i.e. less than $95 a month. lol) just kidding.

What neighborhoods should I look in?

thanks, guys
    Oh here are some up and comming areas....SoBro, SpaHa, Stuyvesant Heights, Weeksville,Wingate Heights, Northern Flatlands and Southeast Queens are all nice.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Do not fall for any BS from anyone, especallty realestate agents. All of the above Neighborhoods are also known as the South Bronx, Spanish Harlem, Do or Die/Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush, and South Jamaica, Queens....ALL ARE SH*T HOLES to the nth degree!

There is a trend of using archaic and seldom used names for neighborhoods which are obviously not where you want to live to fool you into signing a lease in a crime infested dump. One hint...if you can see projects...don't live within 5 miles of the joint.

Some good suggestions, Riverdale, Throngs Neck, Woodlawn in the Bronx, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, Bayside, Woodside, Astoria, Glen Oaks and the Rockaways in Queens are all nice places.

Best of Luck

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

disregard.
    Last edited by LPFD53; 02-02-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Forum Member

Does anybody know when the psych is going to be given for the guys just doing the medical now? I guess some of the information we are hearing is similar about the class after March not being until September. Another thing to consider is that the class after the March class will have some candidates from the other two lists not just #2043. When I went for my medical, I think 23 guys showed up and 3 were from the other lists (EMS) lists. So there will be spots taken up that are not from #2043 , question is just how many?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    Does anybody know when the psych is going to be given for the guys just doing the medical now? I guess some of the information we are hearing is similar about the class after March not being until September. Another thing to consider is that the class after the March class will have some candidates from the other two lists not just #2043. When I went for my medical, I think 23 guys showed up and 3 were from the other lists (EMS) lists. So there will be spots taken up that are not from #2043 , question is just how many?
    List 2043 has been running concurrent with two EMS lists for a while now. There are not many guys from the promo lists. It is usually not a major factor. This is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Some good suggestions, Riverdale, Throngs Neck, Woodlawn in the Bronx, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, Bayside, Woodside, Astoria, Glen Oaks and the Rockaways in Queens are all nice places.

Best of Luck

FTM-PTB

Well...Riverdale is very expensive..houses run in the millions, apartments are about $4000+ a month !

Forum Member

ABC,
    I know a lot of guys that stay in Astoria. It's just over the bridge from Queens. Nice short commute. But you will need at least one more room mate, probably two. And that goes for pretty much anywhere you end up staying at. No joke, rents are high and pay sucks. Start looking for a roomie.

Forum Member

anybody hear any more rumors about how many they plan on calling for the march class, and when is march the class is expected?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post
    List 2043 has been running concurrent with two EMS lists for a while now. There are not many guys from the promo lists. It is usually not a major factor. This is nothing new.
    I know the lists have been running together. But from what I have heard it usually accounts for a factor of around 5%. There were 3 guys EMS out of 22 or so, so that is more like 10%. I think the biggest factor will be the actual numbers of FF who retire this year. That is why the academy after March is being pushed to the Fall Sept/Oct, maybe the number of guys retiring is slowing down. I guess nobody can really predict any list or how far they will get on our list.

Forum Member

Called today spoke with investigations, they said to call back tuesday when the person who handles info packets is in but she did say they are up to mid 4700 with investigations. 481# and still waiting

Thread Information