MembersZone Subscriber

Default How to carry the radio?

My new turnout gear did not come with a radio pocket. I am trying to get some ideas on out-of-the way radio holders to add to my gear.

I don't really like the leather strap with holder, and the chest holders are not really what I need.

I was thinking of mounting one somehow to my suspenders, but getting the mic out of the jacket poses a problem. I also thought of just putting it in the jacket pocket at waist level, but the volume knob gets moved around too much and usuually ends up muted. I guess I could tape it in place......

Any ideas?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know you said no straps but I use a strap under my jacket and run the mic cord out the flap and hang it on the chest loops on my jacket it keeps the radio out of my way and yet still accesible. I where a gut belt and the radio hangs to the lower back of my jacket so if I lift my jacket I can change the channels w/ease. It also keeps it from changing channels or the volume if you bump into somthing. I also must say that I didn't like the strap until I figured out this method because it got in the way and hung up on crap in a fire, but under the jacket w/ a stabalizer strap it is nice. Also we have officers that put the radio in there bunker pants pockets and run the mic up the coat and out the flap and hang it on the jacket loops they use the velcro to hold this in place but the radios get josiled alot and it can change channels if you are not carful. hope this helps you

Forum Member

Depending on your coat closure method-

Place radio in bunker pant pocket, run mic up under coat and out through front if you have d-rings or clasps, or out at the neck with velcro, and get one of those retractable cables mic clips.

Or spend $20 and get the radio pocket sewn on-that's what I would do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a possible option. I also want an option that will be functional without the jacket. I respond to all calls in my gear, but on EMS calls I usually wear only the pants. They also left out the cargo pockets on the new pants............that one bothers me the most. But the gear was purchased and donated by my employer......so I can't be too picky I guess. I just have to work around it.

I can't even begin to imagine who would sew the pocket on for me, or where I would get the material for it. I guess the distributor?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    My new turnout gear did not come with a radio pocket. I am trying to get some ideas on out-of-the way radio holders to add to my gear.

I don't really like the leather strap with holder, and the chest holders are not really what I need.

I was thinking of mounting one somehow to my suspenders, but getting the mic out of the jacket poses a problem. I also thought of just putting it in the jacket pocket at waist level, but the volume knob gets moved around too much and usuually ends up muted. I guess I could tape it in place......

Any ideas?
    If you put it on your suspenders, that wont feel all to good when you have your scba on. Why not just put it in your pocket and go from there?

MembersZone Subscriber

what don't you like about the leather strap?
    You can get a keeper to stop it from flopping around. Boston Leather makes a nice setup.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry double entry
    Last edited by ADSNWFLD; 01-12-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: double entry

Forum Member

I have a radio pocket. So I carry it there. However the strap through the flap if you dont have a Zipper on a radio strap carried inside the coat.
    I would never carry it in my coat pocket.
    I saw a BUFFALO NY firefighter with a Radio Pocket on his shoulder. And the Mic connect to his Neck Cuff. That looks like a good idea.. Does your coat have a inner pocket if so to me that is where u would put the radio if it has a mic. Radios with out mics are a waste and awkward. Just my thoughts

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes the coat has an inside pocket, the jacket is zippered and velcroed, and the radio has a corded mic. I tried the pocket on the outside on a call tonight. I also tried the cargo pants pocket on the old gear I was wearing and I think it might work. I'll have to keep messing around with it. I found this also:

https://www.techrescue.biz/xcart/pro...&cat=50&page=1

MembersZone Subscriber

Your best bet would be the radio strap, under the coat, or the radio pocket sewn on.

Either way, count yourself fortunate you have a radio to have to worry about placing somewhere. Some of the brothers out here don't.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    Your best bet would be the radio strap, under the coat, or the radio pocket sewn on.

Either way, count yourself fortunate you have a radio to have to worry about placing somewhere. Some of the brothers out here don't.
    I agree with the pocket sewn on. My gear for the industrial dept I am on has a radio pockt and it makes it super nice. It also has a clip on the breast and quick adjust suspenders.

I am going to get with the distributor to see about getting pockets put on he pants and a radio pocket on the jacket.

I don't always have the radio, but 60% of the time I do. Not really sure if it worth too much extra time or money to get something fancy. The inside pocket may still be the best option.

In all actuality, the only time I have ever used it, not just listened to it, while on scene is when I am engineer. Then I just clip it to the top of my bunker pants and clip the mic on my suspenders.
    Last edited by SWLAFireDawg; 01-13-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Forum Member

Do you have some old unused gear around the firehouse? Cut material off that and go to a professional tailor, they can make you some pockets easily, just need to find some Nomex thread. Just an idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

I went online and found the manufacturer website. I'll call them Monday to see if they can mail one to me. They have some other items I am interested in also. I could have 20 pockets on my coat and be happy..........guess I'm anal that way.

We have a safety house in town that can sew it on, they alter nomex work wear all the time.

Wittmer
    Firehouse.com Guest

For you guys that carry your radios outside of your turnouts - You may want to check out the article on p.42 of the December 2006 issue of fire engineering. They tested the performance of three different brands of portables in a heated wind tunnel to simulate fire conditions and found the following results:
    "One radio would not transmit or receive after 25mins at 212*F; it began working after a cooling-off period. In another 15-minute experiment at 320*F, one radio went dead within 8.5mins. The other two radios had significant performance problems from transmission and reception shutdown to signal degradation or fluctuation. No radios survived the Thermal Class 2 (320*F) test and cool-down period.
    All radios within pockets or firefighter turnout gear survived temperature tests at Thermal Class 1 (212*F) and Thermal Class 2 (320*F) maximum temperatures and times. They also survived Thermal Class 3 (500*F), but exposed cords, speakers, and microphones did not - the radios were limited to Thermal Class 2 electronics."
    From now on I always carry my portable in my radio pocket. I want it to work when I really need it. I only use the leather strap on MVAs and EMS calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default radio's and where to put them

I use my radio with a leather radio strap etc. I wear it under my coat and run the mic cord through the top most portion of my collar. During most operations, its easy to just keep the mic clipped to the upper leather loop on the strap with coat partially unzipped. I do not condone (sp?) firefighters wearing their radio straps over their bunker gear thus creating an additional entanglement hazard as well as objecting the radio to outside factors such as heat and water. I've also seen many of our firefighters wearing the chest mounted radio pocket with the radio in the pocket and the mic cord pulled around the neck and secured to the collar on the opposite side. Again, not necessarily bad considering it is in the radio pocket but the mic cord can become entangled, or exposed to the element's more. I guess there is not "perfect" way to wear it but consider exposure and especially entanglement hazards that could impede a quick exit/escape...

Forum Member

Just buy you a FDNY style radio strap and snap the radio case to the ends on the strap, put it over your head and fasten the mic to the place on the strap and move on. This way when you are fully dressed out, the radio is under your coat and when you aren't it is still on you as you do other activities. You can place the mic on the out side of the turnout coat, up near your head on the second snap of the coat.

Everyone has a different way to carry the portable radio. I have seen folks with radio pockets on the left sleeve of the coat, which would be in the way for my self.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Everyone has a different way to carry the portable radio. I have seen folks with radio pockets on the left sleeve of the coat, which would be in the way for my self.
    That is how we do it on the industrial brigade....I think I ma just going to put it on the inside jacket oocket, and slap little piece of electrical tape over the knobs to prevent movement. I talked with the chief about post above and the possibility of destroying the radio, so now we all have to carry on the inside.

If I am working in just bunker pants for some reason, I'll clip it on the top or just put it in the cargos.

Thread Information