MembersZone Subscriber

Default Your New Apparatus

I am currently on the committee to purchase a engine. If you could, tell me some of the options or innovations that are on your new apparatus and how they are working out for your dept.Also tell me some of the things that are not working out or those things that you would never get on a fire truck again??

Forum Member

You should look into getting a pto driven hydraulic generator. Our last two rigs have had these and rthey are nice!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

LED compartment lighting. It's awesome. Fully lit compartments with no shadows with a life expectancy 10 times that of the old halogen bulbs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanaaron View Post
    I am currently on the committee to purchase a engine. If you could, tell me some of the options or innovations that are on your new apparatus and how they are working out for your dept.Also tell me some of the things that are not working out or those things that you would never get on a fire truck again??
    Extending on CaptainGonzo's suggestion for a hydraulic gen set-

If you are able, set up your rear compartment like this: A full-width (also known as a "through") compartment, with a roll-up door at the rear/tailstep/tailboard. Even if you go with standard hinged doors on the rest of the truck, go with a roll-up on the back. Doesnt get in the way of lines coming off the back, or interfere with guys having to climb up top. Then, put a 200' cord reel dead center of the compartment- that way you pull it, and it can feed to either side of the truck.

A Through compartment is handy, as you can also store hooks (hung from the ceiling of the compartment in 3" PVC home made tube-holders)

And dont forget two scene lights on the back of the cab, on manually-raised telecopic poles.

Paint it red, and dont forget the Q2b.

Shoot me your email and I will send you a set of specs for our new piece (see the thread titled "TOYNE WINS."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile E-Mail

FWDbuff if you would send those specs that would be great. My email is aaronalverson2006@yahoo.com

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

The one thing (besides the Q) that we would not order another engine without is the CAFs system!

Forum Member

One of the best things on our new pumper is the 6" front suction & trash line, on a wash down or car fire you can pull a line off the front bumper and stay out of the roadway from passing traffic.Our 2005 KME pumper posted below!..
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-04-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Forum Member

Default light tower

I would spare no expence to have scene lighting. Just because some of use were born in the dark, doesnt mean we have to work in the dark. Our 2006 Crimson has a 25kw hydraulic gen. this unit runs a wilburt light tower and browel light as well as the truck mounted 12 volt scene light.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing i wouldnt spec on a new engine is another hydraulic ladder rack i hate the one we have
    engine 163 to command .. tell engine 165 we got it they can take up and return

engine163 to county fire SEND ME EVERYTHING

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng163 View Post
    One thing i wouldnt spec on a new engine is another hydraulic ladder rack i hate the one we have
    WHY? wrong color, to slow, broken???????

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't think we will go without roll-up doors, even though you lose a little bit of compartment space at the top, they are a real nice option. also a front bumper trash line, nice for the little things rather than stretching 150'- 250' of speedlay. If you are a rural dept. I would go with atleast a 1500 gpm pump for tanker(tender) filling if need be. also wouldn't put ladder's up high if it can be avoided, as our's is up on one side of the hose bed, and you have to be a giant to get them.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

firemanaaron...

In the past year my volly FD bought a new rescue pumper and I feel we did some very innovative things. I hesitate to mention them since now I am a sales person for that company and I don;t want it to seem like an ad. If you are interested let me know and I can tell you what we did here or in an e-mail. I promise no sales pitch...unless you want one...lol

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Intakes/Discharges: We put them all on the Officer side. Leaves the pump panel (If side mount) totally free of lines to trip over and hose to come loose and strike your operator.

Floodlighting: Use the space above the windshield for a mounted floodlight forward facing, preferably 2. This is often the most "under illuminated" area on the rig.

PTO Generator: Totally agree.

CAFS: Not another rig without it.

Extrication Equipment 1: Put the tools and hoses in the front bumper. Use the real estate instead of wasting it. If it is designed carefully you can still put a trash line in the bumper as well.

Extrication Equipment 2: If your carrying it on this rig, think about an electric power plant. If you have a PTO generator you have the power for the tools with a quieter operation without worrying about if it will start.

Chevrons: Maximize the visibility of the rig by putting chevrons on the rear. We put them on the back and front. Some may think it looks silly, but it may save your personnel's lives or the rig from getting hit.

Light Tower: Almost a standard nowadays. Be able to light up what needs to be lit up.

Intercom System: Enable the crew to be able to communicate and the Officer give instructions while on the way and not when you get there and the crew is looking at the scene and not giving 100% attention. Also allows multiple sets of ears to hear what is going on at the scene and begin that mental size-up. Also preserves their hearing which is often an afterthought.

Cab Storage: A lot of departments use it for EMS, and that is one way to do it. We shortened it and use it for a forcible entry compartment. It meets NFPA and puts the tools point of use when the crew is exiting the rig.

Cameras: Back-up camera is a must. And it doesn't cost much more to add them for blind spot coverage as well. The cost will pay for itself when they help avoid the 1st accident.

Aluminum Wheels: Increases crew pride, encourages better care of the rig and tools but also increases brake longevity with less brake fade on runs by offering greater heat disapation.

Pull Out Trays: So many rigs being speced without them. Save your guys backs and make things easier to reach and put up.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by STATION2; 01-14-2007 at 01:12 AM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captaincvfd View Post
    The one thing (besides the Q) that we would not order another engine without is the CAFs system!
    Amen to the CAF's. Also Non painted roll up doors. LED Lighting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thoughts...

1. Through the tank storage for ladders. Keeps them low, and ice free. Put
    the pike poles in here too.

2. CAFS.

3. Through the tank storage for suction. Keeps them low, and ice free.

4. CAFS.

5. LED compartment lighting as has been said. Sort of like light rope next
    to the doors on the inside. This is GREAT.

6. CAFS.

7. LED lighting in the hosebed. Take the same lights that you use in the
    compartments, and run them down the inside top of the hosebed. Looks
    FANTASTIC for operations, and they look kewl.

8. CAFS.

9. As has been said, LOTS OF SCENE LIGHTING.

10. Did I mention CAFS?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    firemanaaron...

In the past year my volly FD bought a new rescue pumper and I feel we did some very innovative things. I hesitate to mention them since now I am a sales person for that company and I don;t want it to seem like an ad. If you are interested let me know and I can tell you what we did here or in an e-mail. I promise no sales pitch...unless you want one...lol

FyredUp
    If it can be done on other manufactures, why not mention it here?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's Our Two New Rigs (Heavy Rescue and Rescue Engine)

E-411 Has a 50 Gallon Foam Tank that all you have to do is Pull the levers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

For thoes of you who have CAFS, did you get it plumed to the deck gun? if so, how well does it work on large fires, comparied to water?

firemanaaron,
    Might want to find out what your budget is first. All these suggestions can add up real quick.

MembersZone Subscriber

As stated before cafs,hyd gen,light tower, a good tool mounting system (tool boards), front and rear suction,front bumper discharge,roll up doors, AND A PENALTY CLAUSE

If your getting a top mount we ran 3 hoslines the side and where the walk way is we ran 2 2 1/2 it works very well,we also have a ems cabinet inside just for our people,we set the back of the truck up with all our water supply equip. (look at the pics in the equip mounting thread) I will put some pics up on monday. We got lucky and the builder of our truck was very late so they provided us with all the mounting hardware and labor to mount all of our tools. It took us about 4-5 hours to set everything up (putting the tools where we wanted them) for them but it was well worth it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SchmmidyABVFC View Post
    Here's Our Two New Rigs (Heavy Rescue and Rescue Engine)

E-411 Has a 50 Gallon Foam Tank that all you have to do is Pull the levers
    That is about the only way it comes now.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have CAFS plumbed to the aerial on our E-One Tele-Boom equipped rescue pumper. It makes a difference over water. It has been used more than once (Mostly on Mutual-Aid calls) and works like a champ. We use a straight stream nozzle with our pipe and with the CAFS allows greater knockdown in less time with less water flowed.

We use the Waterous Eclipse system with the largest compressor available, so bear in mind there are restrictions when figuring out what discharges you want to have CAFS as their are limitations on the quantity you can have. Atleast on ours I believe it is 5.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

A question for the CAFS guys, do you know of anyone that used a PTO driven CAFS compressor on a rescue truck? Seemed like a good source of high pressure, high flow air and all you'd need is a receiver tank. Anyone?

MembersZone Subscriber

We did not plumb the CAfs to our deck Gun Due to not having enough room for a mixing valve in the plumbing and the fact we are rural without a water system to maintain the flow,we did put it to 6 13/4 preconects and 1 21/2 the knock down with the 21/2 is great, We flow about 190 GPM-80 SCFM on the 21/2. we use the Eclipse so we also have a fixed PSI setting plumbed to a air hose reel off from the CAFs compressor

Forum Member

Here is my companies new rescue-engine. One thing i like about it, the pump panel is the second roll-up door.

Forum Member

Default More Ideas

Can be found here... http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=71194

-A front bumper turret might be nice.
    -A transverse compartment between body and cab (see Schmiddy's engine for wat might be an example)
    -LED lighting (including arrowstik)
    -tank level indicator lights
    -no crosslays--use speed lays with pull out trays that are low to the ground or put donut roles in front and rear bumpers
    -raised roof cab
    -un-cluttered pump panel, which should be in the right place for the job (if its a "scene pumper," having a top mount might be nice, if you want a shorter wheelbase use rear, if its cold get it enclosed.
    -enclosed ladder rack
    -depending upon your tank size, the previously mentioned 3 doored compartment (sometimes called an extraction compartment) is a good, regardless of its use
    -as with blitzfiresolo's truck, use as much wheel well as possible.

Just my ideas...

Thread Information