Talking News of 2006

What was BIG at your VFD in 2006?

New Equipment?

Biggest Call?

Number of Calls?

New Rank?

Anything about your VFD in 2006?

Forum Member

New Ambulance, first run was our departments first L.O.D.D.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Here we set a new record with 786 calls to finish off the year. The annual volunteer fireman's convention was voted to be held here in '07......I think thats it.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

A massive recovery effort for a husband, wife and a dog that fell into a lowhead dam on Christmas Day... The wife and dog have been found, unfortunately due to the heavy rains we've had, the husband hasn't...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

We broke over 400 for the year!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sandy H., FF/NREMT-P

Greater love have no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

MembersZone Subscriber

Placed our new heavy rescue into service, after 6 months of delays!
    http://www.cfdvt.org/22r1.html

Biggest call for that truck: Christmas eve double fatal accident.

[edit - added link]
    Last edited by Heretic; 01-16-2007 at 01:22 AM.
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber

had a few

set a new record of runs with 553

the new part of the station finally became opperational

and personally, i was promoted to inspector
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Personally, I was promoted to Captain of our explorer post......I would have edited the post above, but the stupid thing won't work out.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

The new station was finally completed after months of overruns by the contractor.
    The BOT made that sapsucker eat most of the overages and he left off the ketchup.
    When I got on the department,the BOT got everyone a new jacket with the department logo on it.The second year I was on,we got a lockblade knife and the last year,2005 we got the station.Good gift .

XNA1590
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Biggest Call

At my Vol. dept. our biggest call would be the Anderson Guest House Fire where 11 people lost thier lives.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

06 was definitely a better year for us than 05 was, we obtained a new (to us) Class A type pumper to replace our 1960 Int'l., in Oct I got the concrete poured for our new office/ meeting room and bathroom complete with showers, before we a gravel floor in the new building. 07 is starting off good, I took the first week off and got the room framed in and as of now I'm almost done with the drywall, and on top of that I convinced them to buy us an A/C unit for the room.

Now if Kurt can guide me through a successful AFG app this will be a really good year!

Forum Member

We didn't have any record breaking call numbers. Had way too many fatal MVC's last year.

New equiptment we finally got a TIC in 2006; we also got small things like flashlights, forestry gear, ect.

Personal note, I was named my departments 2006 Firefighter of the Year and was voted into the second Lt. position for 2007.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Personally, I was promoted to Captain of our explorer post......I would have edited the post above, but the stupid thing won't work out.

Attaboy Cap.!! how's that working out for you?
    786 calls, who is that for exactly? the dept. or one particular company? did the fire duty pick up as well. Hopefully it did, when you start running more its nice catch a few more fires along with the 'non-fire emergencies'.

Forum Member

New Pumper

First year for 400+ Runs

Plans for New station in 2007

MembersZone Subscriber

We started off being stuck in the middle of the "Rural FD refuses to fight nonmember fire" issue. The FD in question was a neighboring one and we were requested and responded to fight it in their stead.

Then made local headlines when our attempts at a tax-based fire district got blocked due to an error in our legal discription (damned attorneys). Hopefully try again this year.

Got better news when we recieved delivery of our new pumper/tanker (2007 KW/Rosenbauer, 2,500 gallons of water and a 1,750 pump, full pumper body).

Ended the year with a second highest on record 180 runs.

Forum Member

Highlights from what I know of would have been a few mutual aid calls for barn fires,warehouses. Few structural fires and the usual crap. Just got our old utility truck back after a refurb. Looks quite slick with all new LED Lighting,Brand new looking box and a brand new chassis. Other than that. Same old s**t
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default Nothing Big, Just a motor

we hand noting real major, just a member who cant drive a manual and blew the engine in out tanker, So we get a new one.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by huntmor View Post
    We broke over 400 for the year!!!!!!!!!!!

Us too (405, up from 337 last year )

Purchased land for a new station, grant application in the works to build it....
    New rescue truck in service (actually right at the end of '05).
    Stupid pointless ******ing matches with an idiot mutt local reporter who's trying to discredit us because he got his feelings hurt

That about sums up '06 here on the bayou.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Well.....I rejoined my old department after being off for about three years.

p.s. Chief, hope you get a muzzle on that mutt real quick!!!
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 02-04-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BMAIGM View Post
    Attaboy Cap.!! how's that working out for you?
    786 calls, who is that for exactly? the dept. or one particular company? did the fire duty pick up as well. Hopefully it did, when you start running more its nice catch a few more fires along with the 'non-fire emergencies'.
    Sorry about the delay....

It's going good. We (my Lt's, advisors, and I) are changing ALOT of things, and it has been alot of work, but so far it is paying off.

786 is for our entire department, not just one truck. We also do not count runs as 5 trucks on 1 MVA=5 calls....here it is one call no matter how many trucks respond.

Our fire calls dropped from 140 to 136, but we had alot more "real fires" this year than in years past. A huge decline in BS automatic alarms, smell of smoke, etc. During one 3-4 week stretch we had like 1-2 real fires a week, it was pretty unheard of in recent memory. EMS calls went up from 564-650.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post

p.s. Chief, hope you get a muzzle on that mutt real quick!!!
    Thanks, but not likely...he's a real nut job. My tactic has been to ignore him, as most people in our parish don't take him seriously, and I'd rather not dignify his inane babble with a response. I guess eventually he will find someone else to pick on and life will return to normal
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

We acquired 8 new First Responder certifications (myself included) which helps us out considerably. I haven't heard what the final call count was yet, but I am guessing in the neighborhood of around 150 for the department.

And we were told by the PIAL that we need a new station, so for 2007 we are working on the tax for that, along with 2 new pumpers, a new tanker, and 2 new brush trucks.

And we had 30 sets of bunker gear donated to us by a local industrial company.......we looked like kids at Christmas!!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

[
    Our fire calls dropped from 140 to 136, but we had alot more "real fires" this year than in years past. A huge decline in BS automatic alarms, smell of smoke, etc. During one 3-4 week stretch we had like 1-2 real fires a week,

Very nice, quality not quantity. Good luck in '07.

Thread Information