Forum Member

Default Used Turnout Gear or Inexpensive Gear

I will hopefully soon going to be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    I will hopefully soon going to be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!
    What department are you trying to get on? I don't belive North Shore is hiring POC's right now.

Forum Member

i am not trying to get onto north shore i didnt even know that north shore had POC. I am in the process for Mequon's Fire Department. Where are you working?

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    i am not trying to get onto north shore i didnt even know that north shore had POC. I am in the process for Mequon's Fire Department. Where are you working?
    Nowehere in the fire service right now, I've taken some time off to get things stright with my personal life. going with pewaukee in the near future, have fun in Mequon.

Forum Member

Why is it that you need your own Turnout gear? The department will supply yoou with everything you need.

Forum Member

If you really need to purchase gear try here:

http://www.glovesinc.com/g_index.html

I purchased a set to use when I teach and paid around $300 for the set. It was slightly used Fairfax County gear and in really good shape.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VFDFF1 View Post
    Why is it that you need your own Turnout gear? The department will supply yoou with everything you need.
    Sad state is that they don't always do so. We got boots and gloves and some old ratty stuff to get us through basic. After that we were expected to pick up the tab for everything else: helmet, coat/bunkers, hood. I ended up getting my own gloves for that matter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Used Gear

If you work in a state that observes OSHA regulations, your department is required by law to provide all the PPE required to perform your duties as a firefighter. Even if a department is volunteer, in OSHA's eyes, you are an employee. If you do not live in an OSHA observing state, that regulation does not apply.

If you still need to buy gear, Ebay often has sets for a reasonable price. Another outlet would be finding a local salesperson who deals with a local department for turnout gear. Often, these groups receive trade-ins of old turnout gear for new gear, and many will lease turnout gear to deparments, selling it at a cheaper rate when it is returned.

Just a little 411:

I'm not sure how often you will be in your gear (you should have an idea at this point of call volume and training requirements), but if you are going to be spending any length of time in your gear, screw saving money and buy the best boots you can. Boots are not a place to penny pinch - you often get what you pay for. Go for a nice pair of leather boots. You feet will thank you for the rest of the time you are in the service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Sad state is that they don't always do so. We got boots and gloves and some old ratty stuff to get us through basic. After that we were expected to pick up the tab for everything else: helmet, coat/bunkers, hood. I ended up getting my own gloves for that matter.
    I can't imagine why no fd would'nt supply their people turn out gear. Way to look out for their people! I guess the only good thing out of people buying their own gear is they'll probably take alot better care of it since they had to purchase it but I still think it's BS.

Forum Member

Exclamation MEQUON (why?)

Mequon sucks, check out the North Shore FD.

www.nsfire.org

Forum Member

Default Old Gear

www.firedogmascot.webs.com, check it out!

Thread Information