Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Used Turnout Gear or Inexpensive Gear

I soon might be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    I soon might be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!
    Ebay! There's always some used gear for sale.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Does the department your trying to get on not supply you gear?

Forum Member

i have been looking on ebay, my gf's father is a full time fire fighter he is going to see what he might be able to do. The chief asked if i had my own gear, and i said no and he asked if i knew anyone that i might be able to get some from, so i figured that i would have to supply my own gear. I will be going in either tom or tuesday and will be talking to him more indepth about it. keep the ideas coming thanks guys.

P.S sorry for the triple thread posts.

Forum Member

How about telling them to buy it. Do you have have to purchase your own hose too?

Forum Member

no all the hoses are supplied. The department is a paid on call department. They will send me through the fire fighter 1 classes. They havent really given me the actual job, and i dont want to be like well buy my **** for me, and then them not get the job.

no all the hoses are supplied. The department is a paid on call department. They will send me through the fire fighter 1 classes. They havent really given me the actual job, and i dont want to be like well buy my **** for me, and then them not get the job.
    It's pretty much their job to make sure you have gear for you and gear that fits you. I don't know if I've ever heard of a fd not supplying gear. Good luck to you and I dont think they'll think what ever of you,they should be happy for getting another member. Let us know how your meeting goes.Take care.

Forum Member

ya i hear ya, i mean they should be happy that i want to volunteer my time to help them, even though this is what i want to do help the community. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Forum Member

ya i hear ya, i mean they should be happy that i want to volunteer my time to help them, even though this is what i want to do help the community. I will let you guys know how it goes.
    so then it is a volunteer department? they aren't offering you a job I would think its a liability issue to supply your own gear. Where is this department bet you won't walk in with the 3/4's and long coat

how ever are you going to balance being the 5-0 and a firefighter conflict of interest if you ask me just kidding.
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 01-15-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Forum Member

Well yes it is a volunteer department. Could you specify what you mean by it being a liability issue for you to supply your own gear? Also what is Where is this department bet you won't walk in with the 3/4's and long coat ?

Also me balancing being a 5-0 and a firefighter will be hard, however the job that i have i am only a police aide so i am not a sworn officer, and i am part time. However, with the fire department telling me that they are short people and busy all the time that might make for me getting out of law enforcement for good. Then wait and get all my certs and go for a full time job.

Forum Member

Well yes it is a volunteer department. Could you specify what you mean by it being a liability issue for you to supply your own gear? Also what is Where is this department bet you won't walk in with the 3/4's and long coat ?

Also me balancing being a 5-0 and a firefighter will be hard, however the job that i have i am only a police aide so i am not a sworn officer, and i am part time. However, with the fire department telling me that they are short people and busy all the time that might make for me getting out of law enforcement for good. Then wait and get all my certs and go for a full time job.
    On the gear I would think it is a liability to have someone bring their gear from outside it might not quite be up to standards. And see the countless threads on the 3/4 boot issue

As far as the other I was just picking with you in some places cops hate firefighters. The people who couldn't cut it as firefighters had to do something right once again just kidding.

MembersZone Subscriber SWLAFireDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    On the gear I would think it is a liability to have someone bring their gear from outside it might not quite be up to standards. And see the countless threads on the 3/4 boot issue

As far as the other I was just picking with you in some places cops hate firefighters. The people who couldn't cut it as firefighters had to do something right once again just kidding.

I would ask the chief directly if the dept supplied gear, or if you had to get your own. As long as the gear meets NFPA 1971 requirements, it should not be a liability. I use my own in the vollie dept I am with. The chief should be able to determine that by looking at the label and the condition.

Be careful of used gear unless you know how it was stored and the conditions it was used in. Make sure it didn't ride around uncovered in the back of somebodies truck. Some of this gear can be exposed to serious hazardous chemicals, or rough use. Also, bunker gear can fit a little differently than regular clothes. Get with your GF father to see how it should fit. It should protect and cover you in any body position.

Long coats and 3/4 boots were the old bunker gear....you only see it in pictures now....at least I think that is the only place you see it.

Exclamation

Why you started so many threads on this?? One is all you need to do.

Buy your own gear?

WHY? Is the department that under funded?

I wouldn't think of it. If they wanted me to join and be part of them, They will supply my gear to me. Period!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

like i said before in the thread im sorry i started so many my computer was acting all funny. I just got back from talking to their chief, and they would like to hire me however i do not have my firefighter 1 certification, but he said he would keep my application and let me know when the area academy is starting classes. They will send me through it which is nice. He also said that they just ordered gear in November and will be getting their new stuff soon. So he will keep in touch with me and will try and get me some gear.

Forum Member

like i said before in the thread im sorry i started so many my computer was acting all funny. I just got back from talking to their chief, and they would like to hire me however i do not have my firefighter 1 certification, but he said he would keep my application and let me know when the area academy is starting classes. They will send me through it which is nice. He also said that they just ordered gear in November and will be getting their new stuff soon. So he will keep in touch with me and will try and get me some gear.
    Thats great gives you something to look forward to I hope that it all works out for you.

Default Use gear?

Be careful about buying used gear. Used gear may have been in a enviroment where the temperature was so hot that the protective coating on the material may have been burnt away and thus is no longer suited for going inside a IDLH (Imminant Danger to Life and Health) enviroment (Example: Burning building.

What you should ask is:
    How much is my life worth? Should I spend more for better safety?
    If used, how well do you know the quality of the used product?

I think in most volunteer departments (Even small ones with VERY LITTLE budget).....including my own, they will provide the protective gear needed. If you don't trust the gear they are providing you, you may want to think about purchasing your own for a level of known safety.

My small department purchased me new turnout gear. But I purchased my own helmut, boots, and nomex hood because I questioned the quality of the gear they were providing me.

Generally if you purchase your own equipment no one will say anything as long as it's compliant with the rules and regulations and everyone sees it as a safety issue.
    Hope this helps.

Forum Member

yea i hear ya, i dont want to get some gear that will not protect me and just pretty much cause me to lose my life. Where do you guys buy your gear, do you use the stores that are on this site? Thanks for all the help.

Forum Member

One thing is that you might have some gear that should have been put out to stud years ago but someone sold to a new guy looking for a "deal".If you absolutely HAVE to buy your own,go with this tip:stay with Morning Pride,Fire-Dex or Lion. http://www.galls.com is one source if you don't let it get away from you.(You'll see what I mean when you type in your credit card number for more stuff that you "just have to have"later this year)
    They're costly if you have rent,truck note,ex wife payments,etc to pay but how much is YOUR life worth to you.
    But all the departments I've ever heard of supplied gear to the members.That way,everyone has the same look,and if new stuff is needed,it's going to be already familar to someone who needs to think about what he's doing instead of figuring out how to seal his turnout coat.
    Every volunteer department in McCracken County Kentucky has at least two SOs on it.If they can balance being a full time cop,family man and volunteer as a firefighter/EMT,so can you.It's just a matter of prioritizing your time.For example,family comes first,real job next then volunteer.Be sure to make time for fishing,hunting or honey dos,too.
    The tip is,don't stay away from the home working or volunteering so much that the wife demands an ID check before she opens the door for you or that the dog doesn't recognize you and treats you like the mailman.

MembersZone Subscriber

I move around a lot cause I am Navy. But on my down time I Vol. I bought my own Gear just cause it is a hassle to get gear and I am part of a department for only a few years until I transfer. This what I did. When I made the choice to purchase a set for me. First, What was my budget? Second , what was the best I could afford. I decided against used for the simple reason I had no idea where it has been. Galls , Chief Supply, you can even go company direct which I did. Carines/Globe , Quest,ETC . I hope this helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    Long coats and 3/4 boots were the old bunker gear....you only see it in pictures now....at least I think that is the only place you see it.
    Take a look in Boston or at a few guys here still!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Thread Information