Firefighter/Instructor

Default Sex with co-workers

Its a sad time when the fire dept. has to have a policy on relationships with co-workers. Were not in high school any more. If two peolpe whant to have a relationship that work together, while not keep it to yourselves or while not transfer off the same platoone/shift or work day. Let alone the same house!! Were not in high school any more we are profesionals that are held to a higher standard. If we cant controle are emotions than we have failed. I have been in love, we all have, but there is a right place and right time for everything. If firefighters and officers continue to make poor decisions, we are going to get treated like a bunch little horny teenyboppers in a strict catholic high school dance. I hope my dept. does not add a policy to the every rising stack becuase of somthing stupid like this. Enough said.

Forum Member

Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

eh, I'll bite. if co-workers want to have sex (whether it be guy and girl, guy and guy, or girl and girl), who is anyone to say anything about it? The only time the department should get involved is if the relationship affects the job that be being done.

that means: firefighter and officers shouldn't get together. firefighters and probies shouldn't get together. chiefs and line officers shouldn't get together. and of course, engine company FFs and truckies shouldn't mate (you might get a rescue company FF as a result).

heck, if there is a cute FF in my dept/house, and I want to bang her, and she wants to bang me, tell me why we should care about what anyone thinks? why should the department have any say in who I am sleeping with (unless, of course, our sleeping together is affecting the department). Again, as long as it doesn't interfere with the job, then there shouldn't be a problem.

however if you have one FF sleeping with an officer (or officers) that result in said FF getting preferential treatment, then the department needs to put a stop to that. if you have an officer who is sleeping with every probie, which results in said probie leaving the department, then the dept needs to step in and do something.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Firefighter/Instructor

Default Sex with co-workers

Well put. But lets say it like it is. 1. Somone is always going to find out, there is never any secrets in the firehouse. 2. Management is going to find out or someone is going tell ,and the result will be a new policy and some training wasting the time of an already busy dept. Not to mention the shame of people trying to hold on to the last thread of pride in their dept. I think it would also be embarassing for people invovled. Me personnally, I would rather spend some time with fire and ems training rather then watching a video about the downfalls of something stupid like "banging a co-worker".

Forum Member

Was it worth it?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

I don't think my wife, or my crew's wives would appreciate us having sex.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    and of course, engine company FFs and truckies shouldn't mate (you might get a rescue company FF as a result).
    I RESENT THAT...!!!!!!!
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I met my wife of almost 7 years at the fire house. Now we have twin 5 yld girls. I wouldn't have changed a thing! I'm just glad she decided to join!!!
    It's a jungle out there. You have to watch out for number 1, but be careful not to step in number 2! - Rodney Dangerfield

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

There's a story on the home page of FH that puts the subject for this post into perspective...

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...7&sectionId=46
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I think it depends on the people. I had a kind of relationship with an officer before getting involved in the fire service. I guess friends with benefits is the best way to put it. And, when I got involved with the fire department, that ceased. Because it would not have been appropriate. I was treated no better and no worse than the other new girls (there were 3 of us) by him. He had made it clear to me what would be expected from me at drills and around the station otherwise. And I followed his instructions. He's a much respected friend now. I suppose there are people out there who couldn't change the way they relate to the person but he could.

I guess it's like any job. If you date a coworker, it should be work at work and romance outside of work. That would be the mature way to handle it, in my opinion.

Forum Member

Default I'm APPALLED

You mean to tell me boy firemen and girl firemen sometimes have relationships? Dare I say.... Even have s*x ? On the same fire department ? This is certainly a sudden turn of events !
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

I suppose a few of you who want to have sex with your co-workers, yet acknowledge rank cannot be involved, never intend to promote? I believe this is a key factor in the Minneapolis situation and one that happens very frequently in the Public Safety fields. The truth is when it comes to sex and relationships a very large percentage of us act and think like "teeny-boppers"! Many a FF or cop with a great career has screwed it up for a night of passion!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Well.. having read through the responses so far, about the only thing of note is that first of all it should not be anyone business who does who. That being said, it seldom works out that way. As long as neither partner is in the chain of command to the other... well to each his/her own. Personally I would rather not know at all.

On a more personal note, is it a good thing? From experience yes and no. Yes, because your partner has a much deeper understanding of what it is to come home from a nasty night, whether he/she was at that event or not is not important - that he/she understands what you've just been through is. There is a certain amount of comaraderie that can transcend many boundries, and that kind of support usually only comes from those who "have been there". Soldiers, sailors, airmen, firefighters, cops, EMS - all share the same thing. Which often makes for some strange bedfellows sometimes. {NO I am NOT going there!}

Why does it not work out? Mostly when the relationship starts to head down hill. When the break up starts, then potentially things can get very nasty. Fights that started at home can sometimes be carried over onto the fireground and thats when things get real bad. Although sometimes, two people who are having a personal out of office relationship who dont like each other at home, can still work professionally together in the field - been there too. Very strange situation when that happens.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Permanently Removed

Hey! When it comes to sex in the fire station- California wrote the book!

Seriously- It really comes down to common sense. Can you get in trouble doing it? Yes? Then you should probably pass on it.

Forum Member

This occured in the county where I used to work. An on duty night crew "got together" {rumor was either in the bus or the station bunk-room} Well the girl got pregnant. Once the word was out about the pregnancy and who the "daddy" was, his world was over resulting in a divorce from his legal wife. Her world and reputation became tarnished because of who she "hooked up" with.

Baby is good looking though....{Thank-God she share's mom's genes} but will be the life long prodigy of a broken home all because of animalistic lust. -

If you're that bad off that you need a release then I don't need to say it...Just take care of your-self but don't ruin others. Ever herd the phrase Don't Sh## where you eat ? apparently these two didn't.

Forum Member

Who's not up for a little man lovin? A hit's a hit :-)

Forum Member

and of course, engine company FFs and truckies shouldn't mate (you might get a rescue company FF as a result).
    You wont get a Rescue Co. FF- you get worse- a PARAMEDIC!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BD6413 View Post
    This occured in the county where I used to work. An on duty night crew "got together" {rumor was either in the bus or the station bunk-room} Well the girl got pregnant. Once the word was out about the pregnancy and who the "daddy" was, his world was over resulting in a divorce from his legal wife. Her world and reputation became tarnished because of who she "hooked up" with.

Baby is good looking though....{Thank-God she share's mom's genes} but will be the life long prodigy of a broken home all because of animalistic lust. -

If you're that bad off that you need a release then I don't need to say it...Just take care of your-self but don't ruin others. Ever herd the phrase Don't Sh## where you eat ? apparently these two didn't.
    sorry dude, but your argument doesn't hold water. the problem wasn't that these two got together, or even that they ended up knocked up. the problem was that one of them was married.

Again, people fool around all the time. people have sex all the time. the problem (at least as I see it) wasn't that these two were on the same FD, or even that they did it in the station (although i would sterilize the cot, bench, and anything else that they got frisky on). it's that one was married when they did it.

The girl was stupid for fooling around with a guy who was married. The guy was stupid for not being able to keep his dick in his pants. Now both need to live with the consequences of their actions.

and yes, the same thing happened on my former department too. and the above applies to them as well.

but the fact that they did it at work is a minor thing when compared to the other "issues" with their relationship
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

that means: firefighter and officers shouldn't get together. firefighters and probies shouldn't get together. chiefs and line officers shouldn't get together.
    Great......now I will never get promoted again!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We have 2 Lts That are married with kids. Never seemed to be a problem.

If people aren't stupid about it, there shouldn't even need to be a discussion.

Forum Member

eh, I'll bite. if co-workers want to have sex (whether it be guy and girl, guy and guy, or girl and girl), who is anyone to say anything about it? The only time the department should get involved is if the relationship affects the job that be being done.
    Agreed - However, if you take the step, take the consequences.... good, bad or ugly....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    LOL Thats great!

My husband and I are on the same department. Have been for the last 6 years. Never had any problems. He got an officer position, never had any problems. Now we are both officers, but he is a higher ranking officer and we don't have any problems.

But thats just us, some people can't separate their professional lives and their personal lives.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    If people aren't stupid about it, there shouldn't even need to be a discussion.
    That is a great big IF!!! I'll bet more than 50% are so stupid about it to the point that you'd shake your head!

How many of you that think it's OK as long as no one gets caught are officers? Do you know the legal aspects of the types of power? I can't believe some people would even condone having sex in the firehouse. Just plain stupid!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scvfd412 View Post
    But thats just us, some people can't separate their professional lives and their personal lives.
    And neither will you if you hit a rough patch! (I hope that doesn't ever happen)But, everyone wants to say, "no we're different!" Trust me I've seen it happen more than once. Talk about getting ugly. And you the officer rarely hears the talking behind your backs about preferential treatments and the perception that a relationship comes with strings attached that affect 100% of your life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Not at my old department,either.Most of the women were either married or otherwise engaged.
    The only available females were various members daughters and only messed with if someone wanted to see"I have a shotgun,100 acres,a backhoe and my brother is the Sheriff"in action.
    I've dated women at my "real job" and since none of them worked out,I have a strict"No fishing off the company pier"attitude about it.Yes,we are adults but if you break up,it WILL affect your work at the house and how the team works together.

Thread Information