Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Turnout Gear ? - Pants/Boots connected?

Forum Member

Default Turnout Gear ? - Pants/Boots connected?

We had a guy get burned on his shin/calf about a month ago. He was in the burn center for 2 weeks and got skin grafted. He should make a full recovery.

He was on the roof when his foot went through, and the pants rode up over the boots.

I only know about the turnout gear that our dept has. Is there turnout gear manufactured where the pants are somehow connected to the boot? I imagine this would prevent the pants from riding up over the boots.

I was just curious if this issue has been addressed by some manufacturers, or perhaps it was tried but found to be not effective?

Thanks for any info or ideas.
    Last edited by FireSki; 01-17-2007 at 09:17 AM.

There are "keepers" that are designed for that very purpose. Generally, they're used with the lower cur driver's boots, but can be used with any boot style.

They are woven nylon straps that have a series of snaps on each side. The snaps connect to the bottom of the pants where the vapor barrier snaps to the outer shell, at the cuff. The keeper loops under the boot, just in front of the heel, and Velcros over the instep.

They are very effective, and they hold up quite well to tromping through the hot, nasty stuff we all tromp through.

I'll see if I can find a picture of them for you...

Kevin
    JDNY13 likes this.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Proximity gear comes to mind but the other firefighters will make fun of you for jumping off at a structure fire with it on.
    Seriously,what size boots was he wearing,do you know?I never had a ride up problem with 14" boots on under my bunkers.
    I don't even know if the boots/bunker pants idea was tried and rejected yet or not.It would seem to be a little restrictive though.
    The next time you are crawling around,imagine how much freedom of movement you'd have if the boots and pants were sewn together.
    Last but not least,I am just glad he is expected to recover fully.Any word on if he'll return to duty?

Forum Member

My daughter had some pajamas with the boots (booties) attached to the pants.
    I use inner tube straps to "blouse " my pants. Never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    There are "keepers" that are designed for that very purpose. Generally, they're used with the lower cur driver's boots, but can be used with any boot style.
    So, any idea how that affects the fit of your pants when you drop to your knees to crawl? I would think that if the cuff of the pants is held at the ankle by the keeper strap, that would put extra tension on the pants and perhaps drop the waste. Although I have a new set on order in the style, I've never had the high-back bunker pants before... So plumbers butt caused by the keeper straps on the waist-high pants would turn into ember-butt quickly.

Forum Member

Check out Morning Pride. They have some new gear called Project Heros and one of the features is "integrated boots and pants". I am not sure what this means but I am going to look into it myself. In my opinion MP is the best gear on the market and I have already decided to call my MP rep and ask him about it.

Forum Member

*** reads thread and thinks to self.... hip boots woulda worked fine and protected his legs...... *****

Always stirring
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    So, any idea how that affects the fit of your pants when you drop to your knees to crawl? I would think that if the cuff of the pants is held at the ankle by the keeper strap, that would put extra tension on the pants and perhaps drop the waste. Although I have a new set on order in the style, I've never had the high-back bunker pants before... So plumbers butt caused by the keeper straps on the waist-high pants would turn into ember-butt quickly.
    The keepers are adjustable...There is a 6-8" line of snaps (male on one side, female on the other). You attach them with enough slack to allow for 3, or 4 inches of cuff rise so there is no issue of pulling when on a ladder, or crawling.

They're a simple, cheap solution to a real PITA problem. I have a couple of sets of them. They were issued by my department a number of years ago. I'll check with our supply officer and see if I can find out what company manufactures 'em.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    *** reads thread and thinks to self.... hip boots woulda worked fine and protected his legs...... *****

Always stirring
    Hmmmmmm....

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by Station580LTVFD View Post
    Check out Morning Pride. They have some new gear called Project Heros and one of the features is "integrated boots and pants". I am not sure what this means but I am going to look into it myself. In my opinion MP is the best gear on the market and I have already decided to call my MP rep and ask him about it.
    The project heroes is a whole other issue. It has to do with a new cbrn protective gear. To get cbrn protection you have to close up all of the gaps where chemical gas can seep through. That is why they have the booties sewn onto the pants, to prevent any gas from seeping into your gear.But it is the most uncomfortable gear you will ever wear. Hot as heck and not very functional. MP has some decent gear, and I am not going to turn this into a debate about who has the best, but you gotta open your eyes to other stuff out there. Several manufacturers are making great gear these days. If you want the cbrn gear, be prepared to pay more than double (almost triple) what your regular gear will cost you. All that money for less comfort, more heat... on the off chance that you might be caught in a cbrn incident. Something to think about.

Good luck.

Always stirring
    Knew that was coming.

And don't you like the discussions here...next they'll have you wearing the hip boots pulled up all the way under the pants. That should be workable.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Knew that was coming.

And don't you like the discussions here...next they'll have you wearing the hip boots pulled up all the way under the pants. That should be workable.
    High-back pants at that!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

My solution.. the "erkel" turnout pant/boot combo.... step into them, pull them up to mid chest... you're all set!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

hip boots with your turnout pants over them would take care of that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad ChicagoFF. Bad Bad Bad

Forum Member

Always stirring
    Damnit you beat me to it
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Which Ski is this? 1 2 or 3 :-) One of the covering chiefs has a pair of the pants that have the liner integrated into the boots, but its not connected. The liner creates a bootie. Its a pilot program, word was that if the guys at the 3rd alarm in the Bx that killed Howie and Mike had those setups we could have added 3 more guys to the list. 3 guys fell through the floor and were pulled out with out boots, walked out in socks. Id take them, but you know how it goes, we get things 10 years late!

Hook & Can

Always stirring
    Woulda been disappointed had you not made some comment. I was thinking the same thing, anyway.

Forum Member

He can comment all he wants, he has no choice now but to wear pants like the rest of the world! :-)

Rest of the USA maybe. The world is a pretty big palate,and I don't think everybody in the world has bought into the pants thing yet. T.C.

Thread Information