Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Using FRC Governors

Hi all. First, I just want to say I like FRC and all of it's products. This is just a question to better understand their products we are now using.

We recently bought a 2006 Seagrave with a 1500 GPM Waterous pump with a FRC Pro-S governor. This is all new to us, as our old rig was a 1984 Mack 1250 GPM Waterous pump with none of today's technologies.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal when you have a change in pressure / flow for the rig to begin reving up high - around 1600-1700 rpms? If so, why does it do it? Is it trying to keep things balanced at the PSI you have it set for?

Also, while on the topic of FRC devices, we have the Insight Ultimate flowmeter/pressure indicators. Anyone else have these and if so, do you get what seems like impossible / inaccurate readings? We get GPM readings on a few when the valve isn't even open. Also, on occassion, we get no GPM readout.

Thoughts? Anything is helpful to me, it's a new rig and I want to know as well as I did our old one. Thanks!
    "Roundhead642"
    NEVER FORGET
    Lt. Michael E. Neuner Sr. #585
    Last Alarm 6/22/97 Brewster FD
    "There's no harm in asking..."

Forum Member

Default Fire Research Products

Michael,
    In response to your questions on the Pro S pressure governor, the governor will increase the engine RPMís to maintain the pressure that you have selected. With out more specific information I can not tell you if what you are experiencing is normal.

As for the Insight Ultimate flow and pressure meter it will provide an accurate flow measurement if the system is functioning properly and is properly calibrated. As for the flow reading that you are getting when the valve is not open, this is most likely happening because the flow sensor is mounted on the pump side of the discharge valve. This is a common and acceptable installation method. The flow meter can be programmed so that this does not happen.

The operation and installation manuals are available for all FRC products on the web site at fireresearch.com. Please provide me your contact information by e-mail at: brianr@fireresearch.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your answers were exactly what we were told and guessed on our own. Thank you for your prompt reply! By the way - we love the rig and all of the FRC components we got - All of our pump gauges and floodlights are FRC products.
    "Roundhead642"
    NEVER FORGET
    Lt. Michael E. Neuner Sr. #585
    Last Alarm 6/22/97 Brewster FD
    "There's no harm in asking..."

Thread Information