Forum Member

Default Junior and Cadet FF Programs

I am trying to ascertain information in regards to the legal issues of wether Junior firefighter programs in Ohio are legal (ages 14 to 18), and if so what can these folks do and not do on fire and or EMS calls in Ohio.

I started as a cadet in 1972 at 12 and our program at the time would even allow us to get certified in basic firefighting through the old trade and industrial agency.

Now, I am on the other side and wish to find out all the do's and dont's so that our department and these kids can function according to laws and to do so safely. Any help would be appreciated.

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Check with the Department of Labor would be your best bet.. Junior or cadets programs have to follow the laws set up under the child Labor Law since they are under 18 years of age. Restricting times they can run and what they are allowed to do on scene and at the station...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by orangebuster View Post
    I am trying to ascertain information in regards to the legal issues of wether Junior firefighter programs in Ohio are legal (ages 14 to 18), and if so what can these folks do and not do on fire and or EMS calls in Ohio.

I started as a cadet in 1972 at 12 and our program at the time would even allow us to get certified in basic firefighting through the old trade and industrial agency.

Now, I am on the other side and wish to find out all the do's and dont's so that our department and these kids can function according to laws and to do so safely. Any help would be appreciated.

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would talk to maybe you city prosecutor (if you have one) or someone in all that legal jazz. We have an explorer program here, so I can go on forever about that, but if you want any more info (SOP/SOG's, Rules/Regulations, etc, etc, etc) just shoot me a PM with your email and I would be glad to help you out.

BTW, I am also in Ohio.....(Toledo area)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Thanks for the information!!!

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Smile

I'm a cadet at my fire station in Indiana, and we are not allowed to go on runs until we are 18 and we are not allowed to help fight fire, unless its a grass fire or dumpster fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's see if I can remember this...

16 years old to start as a Jr. firefighter.

Grades in school must be at the very least a C+ or better to stay in the program. (Not 100% sure on the grade. It may have been a B, rather than c+.)

They can attend fire schools while a Jr. firefighter, and must complete at FF1 prior to becoming a full firefighter at 18. (Cannot do the live burn training until they are 18, however. State allows them to come back for the live burn part on or after their 18th)

Are not allowed to ride the lead engine out, and can ride other apparatus at the officers discression.

Only hose time time is in training, or at brush fires.

Allowed to pack up for training exercises only, live burns excluded.

Issued full gear, but not allowed new gear until the completeion of the Jr. program.
    Last edited by Heretic; 01-26-2007 at 01:42 AM.
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

Forum Member

Default Try Explorers

On our department we used the Boy Scout Explorer Program. They have a Detachment Specificaly for the Fire Service, and have a set of rules and guidelines already set up. Give em a try and see what happens

Forum Member

The Boy Scouts of America Exploring Program is an excellent way to get a set of standars as far as age restrictions, requirements, and the capacities explorers can function in. I served as an explorer for 4 years and am now an advisor. If it is done right it can be an awesome way to get youth involved and experienced in the fire service at an early age!
    P.S. Any questions feel free to contact me. I am also from Ohio. (NE)

Thread Information