Forum Member

Default Lawsuit over hearing loss

Anyone read the article about the lawsuit against Federal Signal and several fire equipment distributors claiming hearing loss due to siren noise? (http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=52982) Unbelievable. I suppose that had someone advised these folks years ago that a) sirens are mounted on fire apparatus, b) they're loud, and c) listening to really loud things for a long time can damage your hearing, then they would have abandoned firefighting for something safer. Somebody please contact the FBI to investigate whatever happened to common sense!

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe the correct term would be FRAUD!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by raricciuti View Post
    Unbelievable. I suppose that had someone advised these folks years ago that a) sirens are mounted on fire apparatus, b) they're loud, and c) listening to really loud things for a long time can damage your hearing.

Which folks? You mean the fire departments so they could supply required hearing protection and see that it was utilized?

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

I'm with you raricciuti, there is absolutely no reason for this type of lawauit, what is the world coming too.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman06 View Post
    I'm with you raricciuti, there is absolutely no reason for this type of lawauit, what is the world coming too.
    Shocked .................. yet not shocked ................BOOOOOOOOOooo
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not file for an on the job injury? The department should be supplying hearing protection. right? Did he ever wear a headset when responding? I wish there was more backgroun info. If he has been on the job a long time, then he may not have had the opportunity to wear headsets and the sirens used to be mounted on top of the cab. But I think this is dumb to sue the manufacturer. The department is more liable I would think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by raricciuti View Post
    Somebody please contact the FBI to investigate whatever happened to common sense!

And you want to call the FBI That is like saying military intellegence
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I'm calling shenanigans!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

B Shifter

Default How about this one...

I saw an ad the other day trying to get people who have lost money on investments to sue their stock broker/investor. With that in mind, can I sue my credit card company for not telling me that I could acquire debt from using the card and carrying a balance?
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Forum Member

Fraud? Shenanigans? What happened to common sense?

What about all the firefighters that have had to file for IOD claims for firefighting related cancers?

Six-hundred and ninety nine fire fighters from 35 engine and 19 ladder companies spent more than 30 hours battling that stupendous five-alarm blaze - one of the most complex, costly and deadly fires in the history of the New York City Fire Department. They literally gave their lives protecting the citizens of the city of New York. They deserved official department recognition. They belonged on that memorial wall.

Yet for years FDNY officials and its medical division have declined to acknowledge the deaths and illnesses resulting from that unparalleled blaze. Over the years many of us had made phone calls and written letters, urging the department’s high command to address our unique medical problems. We've explained again and again that all 699 men who fought the Phone Fire suffer some form of respiratory distress - and virtually every firefighter who responded to the Phone Fire’s first two alarms have cancer. We even invited the department to use us – the Phone Fire “survivors” – to study the effects of toxic smoke on the human body in the hopes of preventing present and future firefighters from meeting the same fate.

The department’s response in every instance was complete silence – they ignored us and did not acknowledge our written or verbal pleas in any way.

On February 26, 1975 at approximately 4 p.m. a fire alarm rang in the New York Telephone Company lobby at 204 2nd Avenue. A building foreman discovered that the glass on an alarm box in the first floor stair landing had been shattered. Since the accidental breaking of the glass by workmen carrying equipment through the first floor had occurred before, the foreman had manually reset the alarm and reset the fan system, which had automatically shut down. With no replacement glass readily available the foreman inserted a rectangular piece of plywood.

Do these guys have the right to file for respiratory injuries received? What the difference between these respiratory injuries and those auditory injuries?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Well..........

With 48 years in the Fire Department, and being a person with a hearing loss, to the point that I wear hearing aids, chances are that I would want to jump into the suit as well. I don't. I simply can't believe anyone ever joined a VFD or was hired by a paid FD that didn't know that sirens are LOUD, and know that fact BEFORE they signed on. OSHA couldn't mandate hearing protection back when I rode open cabs, because OSHA didn't exist back then. Although I am very hesitant to say anything at this time, I'm not buying the "Innocent Victim of Corporate Greed" scenario here.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

just do like the fire department here does. every firefighter is issued ear plugs. so if you have a hearing problem later in life you cant really blame the fire department because they issued you ear plugs to use to protect your hearing and you chose not use them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt View Post
    Which folks? You mean the fire departments so they could supply required hearing protection and see that it was utilized?
    Hey Loo, that WHOOOOOOOSH sound you heard was everyone but you and me missing the point.

This could only happen in the Crystal City of Litigation-AKA New Jersey.

The municipality has absolute immunity in cases like this. That is why this lawsuit was filed against the commercial entities.

Is is a coincidence that it was filed when the m*tt, er, fire fighter got his 25 years on and was eligible to retire?

This is a disgrace.

IACOJ BOD

Harve and George.

WHAT?

Either you folks speak up or I am looking for one of them Lawyer things.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

I got 2 words for ya........

F'ing Pu$$ies!

Its a BS lawsuit from the PFHLC (Pu$$y Firefighter Hearing Loss Club), 5,000 strong and counting.

I hope the word makes it back to them that they are Pu$$ies!

If anyone knows'em, yell it loud so they can hear it.

Gimme a P.......Gimme a U.........

Forum Member

That's the point of the contempt E229Lt -- it's not the manufacturer's fault (whose being sued) if the city and/or firefighters didn't take precautions.

I remember this issue being talked about in the late 1980s. That wasn't that long before sirens got moved from the roofs to the bumpers, and hearing protection became commonly seen in cabs.

Most especially, I remember the instructor that day saying that hearing loss was the reason used to justify starting to buy air conditioned CT State Police cruisers in the early 1980s -- because they had seen a distinct occupational hearing loss attributed to a combination of sirens as well as wind noise from the amount of time the Troopers spent driving around at highway speeds with their window open in the summer.

A Fire Department that didn't address hearing issues, or a municipality that refused to fund it, is at fault. Not Federal Signal.

IACOJ BOD

Gone are the days where I zapped down the road in a bloody huge 4 wheel drive with the window down, lights and siren going, and the dog hanging out the window barking like a mad bugger beside my head.

Can I bring a case against a dead dog for hearing loss?

I mean the amount of dog slobber in your ear at high speed must cause damage, right.

Maybe we all should invest in sirens that politely ask poeple....

"Please, we are in a wee tad of a rush, would you ever so mind as to get THE F*CK out of our way"

Or words to that effect.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

This lawsuit reminds me of a friend named Larry who is thinking of suing Hustler Magazine for his carpel tunnel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Gone are the days where I zapped down the road in a bloody huge 4 wheel drive with the window down, lights and siren going, and the dog hanging out the window barking like a mad bugger beside my head.

Can I bring a case against a dead dog for hearing loss?

I mean the amount of dog slobber in your ear at high speed must cause damage, right.

Maybe we all should invest in sirens that politely ask poeple....

"Please, we are in a wee tad of a rush, would you ever so mind as to get THE F*CK out of our way"

Or words to that effect.

Ian, just off point, but along the same lines...a cop doghandler over here sued his force for the hearing issues brought on by his police dog barking in the van... He WON.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

If this suit yeilds anything, then what will stop any citizen from claiming their hearing loss was from repeated exposure to passing fire/emergency apparatus?
    As has been said there are a number of places where the blame lies:
    1. I know in our state and maybe the US the FD must provide FFer's with hearing protection. The use is optional but FFer's know the potential outcome.
    2. The Firefighters chose not to use hearing protection.
    3. The fire apparatus is not being built or specced with enough insulation to keep the decibal level down.
    4. With technology out there that sound can be focused as a weapon, sirens can be made more directional than they currently are.
    5. As George Carlin says,"It's all just part of the pu$$ification of America!"

This country is running rampant with frivilous lawsuits and blood sucking lawyers looking for these ridiculous cases. And we wonder why the cost of everything is so high? What a waste of the taxpayers dollars! Less for other needed equipment and funding.

Forum Member

Would this be along the same lines as the FrickenDumbA** who squeezed the freshly brewed cup of Macdonalds coffee between her thighs and got crotch burn? A coffee has been made of what since the dawn of time?And you wonder why it costs so much to live.Lesee,maybe I can sue the Feds for failure to provide for my gplden years. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    I'm calling shenanigans!!!
    Dang, and I left my torch at home!!
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Hey Loo, that WHOOOOOOOSH sound you heard was everyone but you and me missing the point.

This could only happen in the Crystal City of Litigation-AKA New Jersey.

The municipality has absolute immunity in cases like this. That is why this lawsuit was filed against the commercial entities.

Is is a coincidence that it was filed when the m*tt, er, fire fighter got his 25 years on and was eligible to retire?

This is a disgrace.
    GEORGE!!!!! Where have you been? I have missed your mostly antagonistic views.

These "plantiffs" didn't realize that sirens are loud? Someone pass them a note, they couldn't hear you whisper in their ear, right? Maybe its not too late to get in on the class action suit against cigarette manufacturers. I am sure they would also be happy to try and STEAL some money from them as well.

George is absolutely right. It is more then a little odd that a vasy majority of the people that file these suits always wait until they are on the verge of retirement. Could it be these "plantiffs" enjoyed blowing that siren all those years? How ironic would it be if some of these "plantiffs" were from Mt. Horeb, or some other "prideful" department where all members adamantly argue the need for 2 Q's, 400 Watts, 4 airhorns, and train horns?

So just let me make sure I have this correct:

For an average of 25 years past our date of hire we should campaign, lobby, politic, and set legal standards for audible warning devices to be as loud as possible to alert motorists to the approach of our BRT. Then at 25 years we should question and sue the manufacturers that have done what we have asked and required of them and as a last ditch effort, give the firefighter salute (puzzled look, shrugged shoulders, arms bent with open hands at head level) and say, "But I didn't know that sirens were loud your honor."

Give me a F'ing break. Anyone ever heard of personal accountability? If their hearing was their genuine concern they could have bought or sought hearing protection years ago, not try and get a little extra money on the way out the door.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-18-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Wow, I'm shocked. I never thought I'd see the day when guys on this site would be arguing against safety! These firefighters were injured because they wern't forced to wear or were not supplied with safety gear by their employers. What if they had been burned because they weren't provided bunker gear? Oh jesus! You guys would raise the roof, but because it's just a hearing injury - now they are sissies. Make up your minds!
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 01-18-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Chicago,

Although I do see where you are going with that, I am sure that your rig like mine, has some form of hearing protectors that are thrown in the back of the cab or slid under the seat because no one uses them - but they are there for you.

If your worried about your hearing, put them on.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information