Forum Member

Default I have to air an aggravation

I am sorry I am posting this but I hope everyone here will knwo why I am aggravated.
    i was watching Dallad SWAT (i was extremely bored) the other day. One of the guys was talking about the tools they use. He pulled out a Halligan bar. he then proceeded to explain the history of the tool. This is the part that aggaravtes me. he said it was designed by a police officer for police use. The next day I was discussing with an officer friend of mine the show and she said that it was true. I was so P---sed off. i am tired of law enforsement taking credit for what the fire service built or created or solved or whatever. I had to go pull the history and definition of the tool and gave it to her. I am not knocking the law enforcement community. They risk their lives just like we do but....come on!!!

Whew now that is off my chest does anyone else get frustrated or am I all alone?

Just in case some people do not know I am adding the below.

Halligan bar

The adze and pick end of a typical Halligan bar.A Halligan bar (also called a Halligan tool or simply Halligan, and affectionately known as a Hooligan tool) is a special tool commonly used in the fire and rescue service. It was designed by and named after Hugh Halligan, a First Deputy Fire Chief in the New York City Fire Department, in 1948, based upon the well known Kelley tool. The Halligan is a multipurpose tool for prying, twisting, punching, or striking. It consists of a claw (or fork), a blade (wedge or adze), and a tapered pick, which is especially useful in quickly forcing open many types of locked doors. Either the adze end or fork end of the tool can be used to break through the latch of a swinging door by forcing the tool between the door and doorjamb and prying the two apart, striking it with another Halligan, a Denver tool or a flat-head axe. Along with a K-tool and the adze end a lock cylinder can easily be pulled. There are many other uses of the Halligan tool, including vehicle rescue and opening of walls.

The Halligan is available in a number of lengths, and of various materials, including titanium or stainless steel, and may be found with replaceable head, handle and fork, and with carrying straps or rings.

A married Halligan bar and flat-head axe.A Halligan bar and a flathead axe can be joined together (and partially interlocked, head-to-toe) to form what is known as a married set, or set of irons a particularly useful combination.

They are standard equipment for fire departments from North America to New Zealand, making them possibly the most widely-deployed tool by a single manufacturer in fire fighting today.

Forum Member

Oddly, while googling for Halligan Bar, one finds a Halligan Bar (i.e., a drinking place) in Chicago. The logo is two crossed flathead axes (but oddly enough no halligan tool).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    I am sorry I am posting this but I hope everyone here will knwo why I am aggravated.
    i was watching Dallad SWAT (i was extremely bored) the other day. One of the guys was talking about the tools they use. He pulled out a Halligan bar. he then proceeded to explain the history of the tool. This is the part that aggaravtes me. he said it was designed by a police officer for police use. The next day I was discussing with an officer friend of mine the show and she said that it was true. I was so P---sed off. i am tired of law enforsement taking credit for what the fire service built or created or solved or whatever. I had to go pull the history and definition of the tool and gave it to her. I am not knocking the law enforcement community. They risk their lives just like we do but....come on!!!

Whew now that is off my chest does anyone else get frustrated or am I all alone?

Halligan bar

The adze and pick end of a typical Halligan bar.A Halligan bar (also called a Halligan tool or simply Halligan, and affectionately known as a Hooligan tool) is a special tool commonly used in the fire and rescue service. It was designed by and named after Hugh Halligan, a First Deputy Fire Chief in the New York City Fire Department, in 1948, based upon the well known Kelley tool. The Halligan is a multipurpose tool for prying, twisting, punching, or striking. It consists of a claw (or fork), a blade (wedge or adze), and a tapered pick, which is especially useful in quickly forcing open many types of locked doors. Either the adze end or fork end of the tool can be used to break through the latch of a swinging door by forcing the tool between the door and doorjamb and prying the two apart, striking it with another Halligan, a Denver tool or a flat-head axe. Along with a K-tool and the adze end a lock cylinder can easily be pulled. There are many other uses of the Halligan tool, including vehicle rescue and opening of walls.

The Halligan is available in a number of lengths, and of various materials, including titanium or stainless steel, and may be found with replaceable head, handle and fork, and with carrying straps or rings.

A married Halligan bar and flat-head axe.A Halligan bar and a flathead axe can be joined together (and partially interlocked, head-to-toe) to form what is known as a married set, or set of irons a particularly useful combination.

They are standard equipment for fire departments from North America to New Zealand, making them possibly the most widely-deployed tool by a single manufacturer in fire fighting today.
    All the cops did was paint it black!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Oddly, while googling for Halligan Bar, one finds a Halligan Bar (i.e., a drinking place) in Chicago. The logo is two crossed flathead axes (but oddly enough no halligan tool).
    A good spot.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Talking

Halligan bar

The PD wants to take credit for inventing the Halligan because....

Being known for inventing the parking sapce in front of the donut shop just isn't good enough!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Parking in front of the Donut Shop?

Time to call these guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

And if you have an original pro-bar halligan you can join the two fork ends together to make a pry bar with even more leverage! And to get them apart just drop them on a concrete floor and watch the magic :-) That Champ taught me on a roof drill years ago.

Permanently Removed

Dude- I wouldnt get too ****ed about it. Just tell the cops it was a fire service invention and remember the important rule of the road- Dont give Firemen tickets.

Forum Member

Theirs are made of aluminum, or tin, or COPPER!!
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Theirs are made of aluminum, or tin, or COPPER!!

Ahh yes. The famous "COPPER" bar.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember:

"What do cops and firemen have in common?"

"They both want to be firemen."

FIGJAM

Well if that's the worst your day can get, then be grateful
    Luke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lutan1 View Post
    Well if that's the worst your day can get, then be grateful
    Exactly....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post
    Parking in front of the Donut Shop?

Time to call these guys!
    A local radio station used to have a call in game called"Cop or no Cop".The 10 caller would get to gues if a given donut shop in town had a cop in it when the station called to ask"Is there a cop in your store,right now?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    A local radio station used to have a call in game called"Cop or no Cop".The 10 caller would get to gues if a given donut shop in town had a cop in it when the station called to ask"Is there a cop in your store,right now?"
    Some moron robbed the Diplomat hotel in DC one night which was right accross the street from an Amy Joy donut shop which never seemed to have fewer than six police cars in it. He got apprehended before the coffee got cold.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Being known for inventing the parking sapce in front of the donut shop just isn't good enough!
    The PD over the mountain from where I'm from actually had one. It was originally a drug store, but when it went out of business, somebody opened a donut shop.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Some moron robbed the Diplomat hotel in DC one night which was right accross the street from an Amy Joy donut shop which never seemed to have fewer than six police cars in it. He got apprehended before the coffee got cold.
    I've got one better than that. Back when I was in high school, a guy in my town tried to rob a donut shop. Anyone care to guess what happened to him?

Anyone?

That's right, he was shot. D-R-T.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    All the cops did was paint it black!
    Kevin
    Again, another post illustrating how stupid and ignorant you fire fighters actually are.

The black paint makes it a TACTICAL Halligan bar. It also raises the price $100.

Please get your facts straight.

Forum Member

Exclamation GeorgeWendtCFI????????

I hope your kidden when you gave your comment....
    So If I painted it Camo its a Military bar.. Price Tag= $Priceless...
    You are on a Fire Service Site.. :P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62 View Post
    Can't take a joke from the fam.......... I mean infamous GEORGE???????
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Smile Yah

I can take a Joke And it was on me...........
    Last edited by JAFA62; 01-21-2007 at 11:03 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62 View Post
    Damn. I had a real good post to pick a huge fight and then I saw the last post.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Again, another post illustrating how stupid and ignorant you fire fighters actually are.

The black paint makes it a TACTICAL Halligan bar. It also raises the price $100.

Please get your facts straight.
    George... the raising of the price thing... that's the truth...

We are not stupid and ignorant... after all, we were smart enough to take the "right test" LOL!

Get the fire service version in chrome for the parade piece... add another $200!

PS: nice to see you back!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-21-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

...i was watching Dallad SWAT (i was extremely bored) the other day...
    Your comment on Dallas SWAT got me to thinking about an episode I saw where a guy was holed up in his apartment bathroom. The apartment was part of an apartment complex. He wouldn't budge with a couple shots of tear gas, so they shot 8 in at once. The apartment caught fire and got going...I mean REALLY got going.

They called in a fire department and they went right up to the apartment and put it out. Ironically, the guy was still in the bathroom and was ok, but the streams blasted the drywall right off all around the bathroom and he finally had to give up.

It was strange to me that the guy was such a danger that they had to surround the place with submachine guns and body armor, until the place caught on fire...then they sent the firefighter right up to the window with a hoseline.

The SWAT team explained that anything could have started the fire...like one of the cannisters knocking a candle over LOL!

Thread Information