Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    312

    Default I have to air an aggravation

    I am sorry I am posting this but I hope everyone here will knwo why I am aggravated.
    i was watching Dallad SWAT (i was extremely bored) the other day. One of the guys was talking about the tools they use. He pulled out a Halligan bar. he then proceeded to explain the history of the tool. This is the part that aggaravtes me. he said it was designed by a police officer for police use. The next day I was discussing with an officer friend of mine the show and she said that it was true. I was so P---sed off. i am tired of law enforsement taking credit for what the fire service built or created or solved or whatever. I had to go pull the history and definition of the tool and gave it to her. I am not knocking the law enforcement community. They risk their lives just like we do but....come on!!!

    Whew now that is off my chest does anyone else get frustrated or am I all alone?

    Just in case some people do not know I am adding the below.

    Halligan bar

    The adze and pick end of a typical Halligan bar.A Halligan bar (also called a Halligan tool or simply Halligan, and affectionately known as a Hooligan tool) is a special tool commonly used in the fire and rescue service. It was designed by and named after Hugh Halligan, a First Deputy Fire Chief in the New York City Fire Department, in 1948, based upon the well known Kelley tool. The Halligan is a multipurpose tool for prying, twisting, punching, or striking. It consists of a claw (or fork), a blade (wedge or adze), and a tapered pick, which is especially useful in quickly forcing open many types of locked doors. Either the adze end or fork end of the tool can be used to break through the latch of a swinging door by forcing the tool between the door and doorjamb and prying the two apart, striking it with another Halligan, a Denver tool or a flat-head axe. Along with a K-tool and the adze end a lock cylinder can easily be pulled. There are many other uses of the Halligan tool, including vehicle rescue and opening of walls.

    The Halligan is available in a number of lengths, and of various materials, including titanium or stainless steel, and may be found with replaceable head, handle and fork, and with carrying straps or rings.


    A married Halligan bar and flat-head axe.A Halligan bar and a flathead axe can be joined together (and partially interlocked, head-to-toe) to form what is known as a married set, or set of irons — a particularly useful combination.

    They are standard equipment for fire departments from North America to New Zealand, making them possibly the most widely-deployed tool by a single manufacturer in fire fighting today.


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Oddly, while googling for Halligan Bar, one finds a Halligan Bar (i.e., a drinking place) in Chicago. The logo is two crossed flathead axes (but oddly enough no halligan tool).

  3. #3
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    I am sorry I am posting this but I hope everyone here will knwo why I am aggravated.
    i was watching Dallad SWAT (i was extremely bored) the other day. One of the guys was talking about the tools they use. He pulled out a Halligan bar. he then proceeded to explain the history of the tool. This is the part that aggaravtes me. he said it was designed by a police officer for police use. The next day I was discussing with an officer friend of mine the show and she said that it was true. I was so P---sed off. i am tired of law enforsement taking credit for what the fire service built or created or solved or whatever. I had to go pull the history and definition of the tool and gave it to her. I am not knocking the law enforcement community. They risk their lives just like we do but....come on!!!

    Whew now that is off my chest does anyone else get frustrated or am I all alone?

    Just in case some people do not know I am adding the below.

    Halligan bar

    The adze and pick end of a typical Halligan bar.A Halligan bar (also called a Halligan tool or simply Halligan, and affectionately known as a Hooligan tool) is a special tool commonly used in the fire and rescue service. It was designed by and named after Hugh Halligan, a First Deputy Fire Chief in the New York City Fire Department, in 1948, based upon the well known Kelley tool. The Halligan is a multipurpose tool for prying, twisting, punching, or striking. It consists of a claw (or fork), a blade (wedge or adze), and a tapered pick, which is especially useful in quickly forcing open many types of locked doors. Either the adze end or fork end of the tool can be used to break through the latch of a swinging door by forcing the tool between the door and doorjamb and prying the two apart, striking it with another Halligan, a Denver tool or a flat-head axe. Along with a K-tool and the adze end a lock cylinder can easily be pulled. There are many other uses of the Halligan tool, including vehicle rescue and opening of walls.

    The Halligan is available in a number of lengths, and of various materials, including titanium or stainless steel, and may be found with replaceable head, handle and fork, and with carrying straps or rings.


    A married Halligan bar and flat-head axe.A Halligan bar and a flathead axe can be joined together (and partially interlocked, head-to-toe) to form what is known as a married set, or set of irons — a particularly useful combination.

    They are standard equipment for fire departments from North America to New Zealand, making them possibly the most widely-deployed tool by a single manufacturer in fire fighting today.
    All the cops did was paint it black!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Oddly, while googling for Halligan Bar, one finds a Halligan Bar (i.e., a drinking place) in Chicago. The logo is two crossed flathead axes (but oddly enough no halligan tool).
    A good spot.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  5. #5
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,555

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    I am sorry I am posting this but I hope everyone here will knwo why I am aggravated.
    i was watching Dallad SWAT (i was extremely bored) the other day. One of the guys was talking about the tools they use. He pulled out a Halligan bar. he then proceeded to explain the history of the tool. This is the part that aggaravtes me. he said it was designed by a police officer for police use. The next day I was discussing with an officer friend of mine the show and she said that it was true. I was so P---sed off. i am tired of law enforsement taking credit for what the fire service built or created or solved or whatever. I had to go pull the history and definition of the tool and gave it to her. I am not knocking the law enforcement community. They risk their lives just like we do but....come on!!!

    Whew now that is off my chest does anyone else get frustrated or am I all alone?

    Just in case some people do not know I am adding the below.

    Halligan bar

    The adze and pick end of a typical Halligan bar.A Halligan bar (also called a Halligan tool or simply Halligan, and affectionately known as a Hooligan tool) is a special tool commonly used in the fire and rescue service. It was designed by and named after Hugh Halligan, a First Deputy Fire Chief in the New York City Fire Department, in 1948, based upon the well known Kelley tool. The Halligan is a multipurpose tool for prying, twisting, punching, or striking. It consists of a claw (or fork), a blade (wedge or adze), and a tapered pick, which is especially useful in quickly forcing open many types of locked doors. Either the adze end or fork end of the tool can be used to break through the latch of a swinging door by forcing the tool between the door and doorjamb and prying the two apart, striking it with another Halligan, a Denver tool or a flat-head axe. Along with a K-tool and the adze end a lock cylinder can easily be pulled. There are many other uses of the Halligan tool, including vehicle rescue and opening of walls.

    The Halligan is available in a number of lengths, and of various materials, including titanium or stainless steel, and may be found with replaceable head, handle and fork, and with carrying straps or rings.


    A married Halligan bar and flat-head axe.A Halligan bar and a flathead axe can be joined together (and partially interlocked, head-to-toe) to form what is known as a married set, or set of irons — a particularly useful combination.

    They are standard equipment for fire departments from North America to New Zealand, making them possibly the most widely-deployed tool by a single manufacturer in fire fighting today.
    The PD wants to take credit for inventing the Halligan because....


    Being known for inventing the parking sapce in front of the donut shop just isn't good enough!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber Ladder8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Possum Lodge
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Parking in front of the Donut Shop?

    Time to call these guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    And if you have an original pro-bar halligan you can join the two fork ends together to make a pry bar with even more leverage! And to get them apart just drop them on a concrete floor and watch the magic :-) That Champ taught me on a roof drill years ago.

  8. #8
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Dude- I wouldnt get too ****ed about it. Just tell the cops it was a fire service invention and remember the important rule of the road- Dont give Firemen tickets.

  9. #9
    Forum Member snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Theirs are made of aluminum, or tin, or COPPER!!
    IAFF

  10. #10
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Theirs are made of aluminum, or tin, or COPPER!!

    Ahh yes. The famous "COPPER" bar.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Remember:

    "What do cops and firemen have in common?"

    "They both want to be firemen."

  12. #12
    FIGJAM lutan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    I come from The Land Down Under!
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Well if that's the worst your day can get, then be grateful
    Luke

  13. #13
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lutan1 View Post
    Well if that's the worst your day can get, then be grateful
    Exactly....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post
    Parking in front of the Donut Shop?

    Time to call these guys!
    A local radio station used to have a call in game called"Cop or no Cop".The 10 caller would get to gues if a given donut shop in town had a cop in it when the station called to ask"Is there a cop in your store,right now?"

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    A local radio station used to have a call in game called"Cop or no Cop".The 10 caller would get to gues if a given donut shop in town had a cop in it when the station called to ask"Is there a cop in your store,right now?"
    Some moron robbed the Diplomat hotel in DC one night which was right accross the street from an Amy Joy donut shop which never seemed to have fewer than six police cars in it. He got apprehended before the coffee got cold.

  16. #16
    Forum Member DonSmithnotTMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Being known for inventing the parking sapce in front of the donut shop just isn't good enough!
    The PD over the mountain from where I'm from actually had one. It was originally a drug store, but when it went out of business, somebody opened a donut shop.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Richwood, Ohio
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Some moron robbed the Diplomat hotel in DC one night which was right accross the street from an Amy Joy donut shop which never seemed to have fewer than six police cars in it. He got apprehended before the coffee got cold.
    I've got one better than that. Back when I was in high school, a guy in my town tried to rob a donut shop. Anyone care to guess what happened to him?

    Anyone?

    That's right, he was shot. D-R-T.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    All the cops did was paint it black!
    Kevin
    Again, another post illustrating how stupid and ignorant you fire fighters actually are.

    The black paint makes it a TACTICAL Halligan bar. It also raises the price $100.

    Please get your facts straight.

  19. #19
    Forum Member WBenner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    190

    Exclamation GeorgeWendtCFI????????

    I hope your kidden when you gave your comment....
    So If I painted it Camo its a Military bar.. Price Tag= $Priceless...
    You are on a Fire Service Site.. :P

  20. #20
    Forum Member THEFIRENUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62 View Post
    I hope your kidden when you gave your comment....
    So If I painted it Camo its a Military bar.. Price Tag= $Priceless...
    You are on a Fire Service Site.. :P
    Can't take a joke from the fam.......... I mean infamous GEORGE???????
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

    Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

    ** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Airbag Life Expectancy Testing
    By kevmar28 in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 11:05 PM
  2. Back-up brakes
    By dfdex1 in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2002, 09:54 AM
  3. Civilian Fire Fatalities
    By DCFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM
  4. RFP's
    By D Littrell in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2000, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts