Thread: Rescue/Truck?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue/Truck?

Does anyone out there have any experiance with the concept of a heavy truck? From my understanding this is basically a true ladder truck (without pump) that combines heavy rescue, and truck equipment on one piece of apparatus. Aside from the obvious benefit of a large monetary savings we were looking for any pros or cons about this concept. Our district is not busy enough to devote a full-time staff to either piece of apparatus. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

If I remember right, Eden, PA (www.edenfire.com) replaced a heavy rescue and rearmount platform with a tiller ladder. They had some articles about the decision-making and planning process.

Fair warning, it's yellow....
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

Look at the FDNY ladder companies...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Eden site is excellent. They did a tremendous job in designing and equipping their unit. We have 2 aerials on order (tractor-drawn) and will be doing a similiar set up. Ours won't combine any units, just adding to our resources since we only have 2 rescue companies covering over 100 sq. miles.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upstater View Post
    If I remember right, Eden, PA (www.edenfire.com) replaced a heavy rescue and rearmount platform with a tiller ladder. They had some articles about the decision-making and planning process.

Fair warning, it's yellow....
    here is da' linky ! http://www.edenfire.com/newsroom/article_624.shtml
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Thanks, Weruj1 - I didn't have time before to track down the exact page.

Now that I have taken a second look, here's another helpful section, for anyone that's interested.

http://www.edenfire.com/newsroom/article_566.shtml

I used to work near Eden when I lived in PA. I've been in to talk to them a couple of times, and I've always been super impressed with the operation there. They strike me as very professional volunteers.
    Last edited by upstater; 01-20-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the concept and have seen and loved the set up of the Eden truck but one thing I havn't heard anyone talk about is OOS time. Prior to combinning services they had a stand alone Rescue and Tower, now they are combined which means if the truck is OOS for any reason it's like having two trucks down not one. Before if the Tower was OOS the Rescue could do some truck work tasks on the fireground and visa versa, with combining rigs you loose that flexabilty.

Still a neat idea.

Forum Member

Default wow

7 hydraulic tools. Impressive.

That thing is incredible. Reminds me of Orange CA tillered rescue. Looks like they spent a lot of time thinking it out. It also has to be one of the most organized rigs I a have ever seen.

Also--does anyone know what FDNY ladder c.o.s carry for rescue equipment? I thought I read they have a set of jaws and what not.

Forum Member

FWIW, Baltimore County had no career Rescue Co.'s The trucks had truck stuff as well as extrication tools and rope gear. Nowhere near what a Rescue should have, bit it was a nice compromise given the call load.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post

That thing is incredible. Reminds me of Orange CA tillered rescue. Looks like they spent a lot of time thinking it out. It also has to be one of the most organized rigs I a have ever seen.

Also--does anyone know what FDNY ladder c.o.s carry for rescue equipment? I thought I read they have a set of jaws and what not.
    I have seen the FDNY tower ladders with a Hurst tool, jaws & cutter on a 75' scope !..

MembersZone Subscriber

Eden's TDA was featured in the January 2007 issue, in the Apparatus Architect column by Tom Shand and Michael Wilbur.

I believe Howard County MD runs 100' rear mount platforms as truck/rescues in the career stations.

OOS time should not be a factor if there is sufficient mutual aid units. Also, the same problem exists for combination rescue/engines. But most of the focus needs to be what it can do when it is in-service.

As with any apparatus design, you have to start by defining what you expect the unit to do, then see if that goal is achievable. Unfortunately, sometimes with combination apparatus, the goal seems to be to try to do a little bit of everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rescue/trucks

How about what is typically a heavy rescue squad, non-walk-in, pumper type cab (6 people), no pump, no water, just a big toolbox on wheels - but with all the truck company ground ladders in the back?

It seems like everyone has the typical 6 person cab, raised roof, single rear axle, 2 compartments ahead of the rear wheel, one behind the rear wheel, roll up on the back, ladder to the top compartments, light tower, pre-connected rescue tools.......and a 24ft ladder.

How about if you don't need a 75ft or 100 ft aerial, but still have 5-6K sq. ft. homes where you could use that 45 or 50ft ground ladder? Not to mention the 35, 28, and 20s.

A ladder truck less the aerial ladder. Any good links to someone who has done this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dp7197r751 View Post
    How about what is typically a heavy rescue squad, non-walk-in, pumper type cab (6 people), no pump, no water, just a big toolbox on wheels - but with all the truck company ground ladders in the back?

It seems like everyone has the typical 6 person cab, raised roof, single rear axle, 2 compartments ahead of the rear wheel, one behind the rear wheel, roll up on the back, ladder to the top compartments, light tower, pre-connected rescue tools.......and a 24ft ladder.

How about if you don't need a 75ft or 100 ft aerial, but still have 5-6K sq. ft. homes where you could use that 45 or 50ft ground ladder? Not to mention the 35, 28, and 20s.

A ladder truck less the aerial ladder. Any good links to someone who has done this?

What you're describing is basically a Quad without the pump, or as it's sometimes called a City Service Truck. Indianapolis has had several of these in the past.

Larry

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by REVANANT View Post
    What you're describing is basically a Quad without the pump, or as it's sometimes called a City Service Truck. Indianapolis has had several of these in the past.

Larry
    Dang it Larry you beat me to it !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by REVANANT View Post

Larry
    Here an examples of the Indianna rigs. They don't look to have a huge amount of compartments or be especially manuverable.

http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/pic...adders/113.jpg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post

Your right the Orange,ca rig is a beast!!!!

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by residents View Post
    Does anyone out there have any experiance with the concept of a heavy truck? From my understanding this is basically a true ladder truck (without pump) that combines heavy rescue, and truck equipment on one piece of apparatus. Aside from the obvious benefit of a large monetary savings we were looking for any pros or cons about this concept. Our district is not busy enough to devote a full-time staff to either piece of apparatus. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Our tower is heavy rescue capable. We pretty much have the same compliment of rescue equipment as the Eden Tiller. There are so many pros, and no cons that I can think of. You just have to make sure your truck staff is Heavy Rescue trained.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.cityoforange.org/civica/f...sp?BlobID=2010

There is the link to Squad 6 in Orange, CA. That is the only tillered squad I have ever seen. Would love to see the equipment they carry on that beast.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The Raliegh/Durham area of NC has several "city service aerials". Cary, NC is specing out 2 currently. The other I remember is Durham Highway FD. Try www.firenews.net, they have a extensive list of NC departments. As for the Rescue Ladder, we currently have two on order. They are ALF 105' tractor-drawn aerials. They are designed to supplement our 2 heavy rescues and respond in their place if needed. Our other Truck companies will have a multi-tool, ram, sawzall and some other basic stuff and the theirs will back them up. But since out Rescues are also or Technical Rescue Team will are building in the tillers as a redundant back up.

Forum Member

OSD122, do you have a dept website that we can check out the tower. Or pics.

MembersZone Subscriber

Too funny UnionffE2! I volunteered with Durham Highway in the late '90's and know what you are talking about. I will try to get some info on Cary's.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Cary - Truck 7

I have posted photos of Cary Truck 7 (1996 Seagrave/Marion City Service Ladder) in the Youngstown Fire Forums. There is a photo of the complete rig and then a rear view showing the open ladder compartment. You can view the pictures at: http://www.youngstownfire.com/phpbb/...?p=27957#27957

Take a drive to the Cincinnati area for these fun events!

March 9, 2007 - Milford, Ohio. Annual fire memorabilia auction. Consignments are currently being accepted. If you have 1 item or 100 to sell, contact the auctioneer. Auction preview Friday 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Auction at 7:00 p.m. Information: Howard Kuhnell 605 Garfield Milford OH 45150. Phone: 513-831-6398 or howdi@fuse.net

Items in the prior auctions run the range of fire collectibles: helmets; lanterns, badges, alarm equipment - Gamewell stuff, apparatus goodies, books & literature, Ahrens-Fox and Cincinnati area items, toys, etc.

March 10, 2007 - Milford, Ohio. 14th annual fire flea market
    (Fire related items only). Saturday from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Admission $2.00. All types of old and new fire items from a variety of dealers.

Dealer set up on Friday the 9th from 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. and Saturday beginning at 7:00 a.m. Tables are $10.00 each. Chairs provided. Electricity is available; please let us know if you will need an outlet at the time of registration. There are a maximum of 60 tables available for rent.

Deadline to reserve Flea Market space is March 1st. A confirmation letter will be mailed around February 1st with any additional information requested. Table Assignment, vendor pass, and pass for 1 assistant per table (maximum of 3) will be given to you when you arrive. You must provide table cloths for any heavy items or leave them on the floor. Any damage to your assigned tables will be your responsibility for the payment for a replacement table.

Information: Mark Hetzel, SR 3623 Rio Bravo Trail Cleves OH 45002-2314 Phone: 513-467-1757 or PatchGuru21@fuse.net

Click here for a printable Flea Market Registration Form: http://www.milesgreenwood.org/flearegistration.html.

Both events will take place at the Milford Firefighters Community Hall which is located at the Milford Shopping Center on Lila Avenue (U.S. Route 50 & Ohio Route 131 - across from the Milford fire station!). The hall is at the east end of the plaza. There are many hotels and restaurants nearby.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by ecfr1978 View Post
    OSD122, do you have a dept website that we can check out the tower. Or pics.
    Send me a PM with an email address, and I'll get some pics out to you.

Forum Member

My FD has two heavy rescue companies (heavy squads) and four truck companies, two of which are designated as "truck-squads". They carry extrication and limited rescue equipment. They are dispatched as a squad when a heavy squad is not avaliable to respond.

A small career department I am familar with runs the concept you are refering to. They carry standard truck equipment as well as rope rescue, water rescue, extrication and trench panels/cribbing/shores on the rig. I tried to attach the pics but the file is too large. If you are interested get me your e-mail and I will send them to you direct.
    Last edited by 37truck; 01-30-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Forum Member

37 Truck where in Oh are you ?
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information