Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Gloves???

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Gloves???

I've been noticing more and more how many firefighters arent wearing gloves or are wearing rescue gloves to do structural fire work. This is one area I won't mess around with, your hands are a big part of your life, whats the reason to lose them? I'm figuring it has alot to do with FD's buying budget conscious crappy gloves that are misfitted and clunky. Whatever the case, it would be nice if we all did our part to remind each other to wear the gloves, the right ones.

Seems alot of FF's have switched to rescue gloves for dexterity and just hope they never get caught where its hot. I've had rescue gloves begin to melt just from tending to a burn drum outside on the drill ground, on a cold winter day.

Any thoughts?

Can anyone who has burned their hands speak to the importance of the right gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    I've been noticing more and more how many firefighters arent wearing gloves or are wearing rescue gloves to do structural fire work. This is one area I won't mess around with, your hands are a big part of your life, whats the reason to lose them? I'm figuring it has alot to do with FD's buying budget conscious crappy gloves that are misfitted and clunky. Whatever the case, it would be nice if we all did our part to remind each other to wear the gloves, the right ones.

Seems alot of FF's have switched to rescue gloves for dexterity and just hope they never get caught where its hot. I've had rescue gloves begin to melt just from tending to a burn drum outside on the drill ground, on a cold winter day.

Any thoughts?

Can anyone who has burned their hands speak to the importance of the right gloves?
    While it wasn't line of duty related, I burnt the palm of one of my hands when I younger and its an experience I never want to go through again.Your hand is basically useless until your healed. I attached a picture courtesy of firefighterclosecalls.com that shows what hands burnt in the line of duty can look like.

Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess nobody else is seeing this????

Forum Member

Do a search of gloves. I wear Protech 8's I only wear my leather work gloves on emergencies or when im on the outside in the roof position.

MembersZone Subscriber SWLAFireDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    While it wasn't line of duty related, I burnt the palm of one of my hands when I younger and its an experience I never want to go through again.Your hand is basically useless until your healed. I attached a picture courtesy of firefighterclosecalls.com that shows what hands burnt in the line of duty can look like.

Dude......I think I can wear 2 pair now.......JEEZ!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear FireGuard Commanders which I have found to be the best glove so far. They offer great dexterity and they arn't too expensive at $57. Only problem I have is a small hole in each of the underside of the thumbs. I've had them for about a year I believe. When I get around to buying new gloves again, I'll get these again.

Forum Member

Eric, ditch those bad boys for the protechs. Those commanders are what we are issued in NYC. Horrible dexterity in comparison.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Eric, ditch those bad boys for the protechs. Those commanders are what we are issued in NYC. Horrible dexterity in comparison.
    I wouldn't say the commanders have horrible dexterity in comparison, but a few hours ago I had a chance to try on the Pro Techs....they seemed very nice. I believe they were like $50? Seems like a great value.

I use the Shelby FDP Gloves(Blue Koala/Gore kind w/o the wristlet) and I actually find them comfortable and still dextrous. But i may have to check out a pair of protechs for my next pair.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Eric, i have been wearing those blue mittens for over 5 years. You either have severe frostbite in your hands or are a thalidomide baby. You can do surgery in the Protechs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Eric, i have been wearing those blue mittens for over 5 years. You either have severe frostbite in your hands or are a thalidomide baby. You can do surgery in the Protechs.
    You should trying wearing the "Firemen VIII" or whatever the hell they are called for a few years. Chicago fire gloves I believe. Then switch to the commanders. It's a HUGE difference in itself. But yeah I agree the dexerity on the protechs are superior. I'll probably buy them next.

Forum Member

On the subject of gloves, We are looking to replace the leather mittens we currently use with something a bit more dexterity friendly. We are currently looking at 2 gloves. The Protech8 and the Chiba FlameFighter. On initial inspection, the Chiba seems much tougher and durable but at $100 the cost is twice that of the Protech. The Protech is much lighter and the nimbleness of the fingers seems greater but, it doesnt seem like it would stand up as long as the Chiba. Anyone deal with either or both of these gloves for any extended period of time? Any info or input would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post

Dude......I think I can wear 2 pair now.......JEEZ!!!
    Post re-located to Firefighters Forum, under thread titled "Wearing Two Pairs of Gloves".
    Last edited by BlitzfireSolo; 02-01-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Typo

Forum Member

After 5 good jobs, they are fine (the protechs) My only complaint so far is the fabric has a small hole in it from a window frame. It would have probably happened regardless of if I was wearing these or leather gloves. I dry them out after overhaul and they are fine next day!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Burns to the hands

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post

Any thoughts?

There's a reason NFPA certifies structural fireifghter gloves with a vapor barrier and wrist gauntlet. I havent seen burns to the hands, but I have seen burns to the wrist just below the wrist guard on the turnout coat; all from wearing leather work gloves on interior attack because "they are more comfortable. And those approved ones are a pain-in-the a## when they get wet.

MembersZone Subscriber

I love my Chiba's, they, and the morning pride gloves that houston and a lot of other guys around here wear, actually extend over your sleves on your bunker gear preventing any of the wrist burns caused by sleeve/glove interface issues. They are great, completely waterproof, a lot more so than my leather ones were, and have everybit as much dexterity as my extrication gloves. I dont even need to take them off to write on a clipboard at a wreck. I would highly recomend them to any one or at least recomend getting a regular glove with a similar design like morning prides.

Forum Member

To all:

***Disclaimer: I am a Distributor & Career FF***

I have been wearing the Pro-Tech's for a couple of months at work and so far I have no complaints. They are extremely more dexterous and lightweight than other fire gloves that I have been issued in the past. I really like the fact that you can feel objects and operate tools with some efficiency.

In regards to durability, only time will tell. We have sold around 1000 pr. in the last six months with very few concerns.

Refer to www.techtradellc.com for more info.

Good luck,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

With the protects, i Have heard some stories though few and far between about tears forming rather quickly, what type of warrenty is featured also, are they NFPA ?, the gloves I use at work the fire guard commanders though cumbersome and bulky have a blood borne pathogen and comman hazmat material protective lining, do these gloves offer that type of moisture barrier?
    I am thinking of trying a pair out
    thanks

Forum Member

Viospawn:

1) Are they NFPA compliant? Yes, to the 1971-2000 standard. The new 1971-2007 gloves should be out shortly per the mfg.

2) Is the moisture barrier bloodbourne & common chemical resistant? Yes

3) What is the warranty against rips & tears? There is no warranty against rips and tears, use and abuse. I believe you will find that standard with most gloves on the market. However, customers have sent a couple of pairs back to the mfg. for premature "tears" and the mfg. has replaced the gloves at no charge (this is unwritten).

Thank you,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Got My Protechs yesterday, Just in time to use them at a 6th Alarm Fire, lemme just say, I love em, great dexterity, the flexability is awesome, and they kept my hands nice and warm, In regards to the new 2007 version, what differences will there be?, I heard they are coming out with a model where the liner is sewn in and the palm is a little heavier , any truth to this ?
    Thanks

Thread Information