MembersZone Subscriber

Default station uniforms

What type of station uniforms are you wearing and does your dept issue them?

Thanks
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Our dept. uses Nomex station wear. We get $400 a year for up keep. It is supposed to change in the near future(wait and see). Not enough to cover everything including class A uniforms. Nomex pants and shirts are $80 to $100 a pop.

Forum Member

Our dept supplies all of our uniforms, shorts, shoes/boots and pays for any alterations and dry cleaning service.

Around the station and on calls, we wear tee shirts (gray, w/blue lettering)with rank and medical training printed front and back and navy blue TDU's.

For times when we are performing PFP's, public displays/functions, etc., we wear class-A's with all hardware.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Here in the winter time we wear t-shirts and sweat shirts, with long pants, with the exception of morning line up we wear our dress shirts. In summer time we switch to polo shirts and shorts, except for when on calls. All pants and shorts and dress shirts are bought on our own, shirts are bought through the union. We are actually not required to keep a class a uniform here. We get $400 a year, $100 quarterly for uniform upkeep, but as stated above it's not nearly enough to keep your uniform up properly. With pants running $80 each and a pair of shirts running $40 + you run out of money quick. A nice little break for us though, is the department pays for our boots, but trying to get them to spring for a new pair is like pulling teeth. I read not too long ago that DOD cops clothing allowance is possiably increasing to somewhere around $1800 or something, and that the IAFF is going after an increase as well. It would sure be nice to see that happen!

MembersZone Subscriber

Right now we get a $100 clothing allowance quarterly. As mos thave said that is not enough. Our boots are purchased by the dept. We have not had to hard of a time getting new ones, as long as they are needed. The reason I started this thread is that I heard something about a new standard something to the effect that the govt. is required to purchase all uniforms for employees. I know our dept is getting quotes from a couple uniform companys for new uniforms and weekly cleaning. These uniforms are nomex so they cost more. I am not to sure what this is about and thought I would see what everyone else is doing.
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Tecnically?sp. the gov't is paying for your uniforms with the quarterly uniform allowance. When you get hired with our dept. You get two sets of nomex class B shirts and pants. You also get two dept. t-shirts, ball cap, belt, jacket, sweatshirts, gym shorts, station boots and wildland boots. After that it is up to you to spend the uniform allowance on up keep.
    As stated above, the uniform allowance might change to $1,800 from $400. The gov't should give enough for all uniforms including Class A's. That's another $500 not including up keep. We order our uniforms from a local public safety business store.
    Our union is trying to get the uniform allowance from quartely to a lump sum at the end of the year.
    Last edited by engineer2000; 01-26-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Thread Information