MembersZone Subscriber

Default FL. Exam for Cert.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice concerning taking the Florida Certification Exam to get your FF standards. Was the test hard/Easy? Any comments are appreciated, I'll be taking the exam sometime in May/June.

MembersZone Subscriber

don't sweat it, it's not that bad. the practicals are all the same as you do in the academy, just stay calm and it's no biggie. the written is the same stuff as all your tests, no surprises. best advice is to study early. start studying 2-3 weeks out, the night before the test eat a good dinner, get to bet early, get up eat a good breakfast and don't study the day of the test. it's multiple guess, so take your time, read the question all the way thru and stick with your gut unless you completely know 100% u were wrong with your 1st answer. too many people read back over the test and change answers and get them wrong. good luck, welcome to the family.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks H2O Squirter, so far the exams have been pretty easy so I'm going to keep my study habits going. 14 weeks to go! Appreciate the reply.

Forum Member

Good luck Next. I wish I had the time to take my FF2. I passed the FF1 back in Oct. The only question I went back to on that test are the ones I did not answer. I just marked the ones I was not sure of and came back to them ONLY Good Luck to you.
    Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
    Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    www.stitchingbydesign.net
    Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
    Past Master
    Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I'm flying out of washington state to orlando in a few days to take my written test on the 25th. I've been studying like mad but I'm nervous as hell, I'm not the best with test taking or math but I've been learning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jettofunk, are you taking the Florida State Exam? I heard it's approx. 100 questions on the written and then big 3 for pratcical. Are you applying to Orlando? You'll do fine, H2Osquirter had some good advice above, Go with what ya know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How did you do it?

JettoFunk, what did you do to get to take the exam?

Forum Member

Cool FF1 and FF2 Florida cert.

As I well know FF1 is just 100 question writen test. FF2 is another bird. You will have the 100 question written test then the SCBA then 150ft hose pull and knock down your 3 targets usually traffic cones then the ladder drill.

The State is thinking about changing the big three this year I was told. Per the a state fire collage source. I was informed they may be taking the big 3 out and replacing it with firefighter practical skills test as a result of recent injuries during the big 3 tests.

The new skills test may consist of SCBA, ladder, use of Irons, and other skills. I'm not sure when these changes may take effect my advice is get your standards real soon the big 3 is better than what there talking about. That is if you dont want to get caught up in the change mess. The change could result in a mess till they decide what is the right skills and what you will never use. Endurence testing to me is better than the mess they can create.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just taken

I just took my FL state exam and it went like this:

Day 1 - Big three, remember all your checks, PASS device/Vibra-alert/remote
    gauge/exhalation valve. All the same as the regular day on the fire ground.
    We also did some fire ground skills, i.e. knots, hose rolls, tools for hoisting

Day 2 - Written test in the morning, ours was 100 questions on a wide range of what seemed very general questions, also 5 questions out of the ERG book.
    After the written exam was finished we completed the fire ground skills, working off a ladder, deploying a ground monitor, replacing a burst hose section and hoses appliances i.e. suppling the pumper or an FDC with a double male or female.

I found it to be exactly like what the others stated above, take your time, read the question for what it is, and repeat your orders back to the procter when they state them to you. I sure you'll be just fine

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for all of the info. I finish up FF1 already next week! Time has flown by. I'll make sure I follow up after the state exam to tell you how I did. Appreciate the support.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Iancook View Post
    I just took my FL state exam and it went like this:

Day 1 - Big three, remember all your checks, PASS device/Vibra-alert/remote
    gauge/exhalation valve. All the same as the regular day on the fire ground.
    We also did some fire ground skills, i.e. knots, hose rolls, tools for hoisting

Day 2 - Written test in the morning, ours was 100 questions on a wide range of what seemed very general questions, also 5 questions out of the ERG book.
    After the written exam was finished we completed the fire ground skills, working off a ladder, deploying a ground monitor, replacing a burst hose section and hoses appliances i.e. suppling the pumper or an FDC with a double male or female.

I found it to be exactly like what the others stated above, take your time, read the question for what it is, and repeat your orders back to the procter when they state them to you. I sure you'll be just fine
    I took mine in January and it went exactly like Iancook's.

CFDTruckie

Default Taking my Florida Standards Challenge Exam in May...Advice?

I have read the responses here. They seem GREAT! I just want to make sure these tests are the same for In-State Florida Firefighters, as well as, Out-of-State FF like me. Is the OOS test the 100 question written and BIG 3 practical? Are they both on the same day? So, the BIG 3 is dragging a 1 3/4 inch line 100 or 150ft, then knocking down the cones, and the ladder drill just raising the ladder? 28 or 35ft. ladder? Thanks, guys. Looking forward to the exam, but naturally nervous like most.
    Truck Company Love

CFDTruckie

Default Almost Forgot...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to our Firefightin' Brothers!!!
    Truck Company Love

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Big 3 is SCBA donning in 1:45 or less
    1 3/4" min.man pull in 2:30 or less
    Ladder raise 24' in 2:45 or less
    Then skills demonstration, state proctor can ask for anything.
    Then 100 question exam.

I'm not sure if OOS is different, the above is what we are being told as of right now for in state. I also heard next year you might have to have EMT as a pre-requiste for FF academy. 5 weeks left for me!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nextwave View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice concerning taking the Florida Certification Exam to get your FF standards. Was the test hard/Easy? Any comments are appreciated, I'll be taking the exam sometime in May/June.

The big 3 is not hard, if you prepare. Our instructors had us living and breathing the big 3. The hardest part will be the written. The practicals I had was tying tools, working from a ladder, fire attacks, and disoriented firefighter. good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your advice. Just found out today the state exam is May 14&15. I'm ready for it. Like y'all said we have done the big three like a million times and I can do it in my sleep, let's just hope it's like that come test day. Again,thanks.

CFDTruckie

Best of Luck to you I am hoping my OOS is the same or similar and goes well. It is scheduled for the 14th as well. Is your exam in Ocala?
    Truck Company Love

MembersZone Subscriber

No,I'll be testing out at the county training grounds for the State exam. Good luck to you too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile If you know your stuff, don't sweat it

We did our written Monday and practical Tuesday. Everybody in our class passed the written and a few have to go to Ocala for parts of the Tripple. It was just nerves. I am 99.9999% sure that I am not one of them. I can tell you that the examiners are stern but fair. The biggest thing other than knowing your stuff is NO TALKING and LISTEN. Good luck!!

CFDTruckie

Default Great Job Guys:)

Congratulations on passing the exam!!! Outstanding work I hope my OOS exam goes well in May. I will post here to let everyone know. Thanks.
    Truck Company Love

Forum Member

Smile Way to go!!!!

aces Smokeater

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Thanks Lillybear and Chief Chuck. I checked the state site this morning and got the official word that I did pass the test. (93 on the written and passed the practical) Modern technology is awsome! I go to my graduation ceremony tomorrow. Now all I have to do is find a job!

Terry

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Awesome job! You hsve earned your cert. it must be a relief! 1 month for me and I test, can't wait. Again, great job.

CFDTruckie

Great Job
    Truck Company Love

Forum Member

I was down in Escambia County (Pensacola) in February and I have a couple of friends working for ECFR, one being a BC tell me that they are about to hire in April/May timeframe. Pensacola is alot easier to live in since the cost of living is MUCH Lower than S Florida.

Thread Information