Forum Member

Default Leather boot repair

Does anyone know if or where I can get the sticking repaired on a pair of leather boots? They are in relatively good condition but the stitching on one boot has come lose. Winter is not the time for wet feet.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Some dry cleaners that do tailoring may do boots/shoes, too.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Find a good cobbler in your area. That'll be the easiest, fastest and probably cheapest solution. Otherwise, send 'em back to the manufacturer for a rehab.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I wouldnt mess with it. Have you ever walked through hot wet garbage form a rubbish fire? Now do you really want that getting in your boot and on your feet? GO get a new pair. It sucks but the way boots are made its not really something that can be repaired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    Find a good cobbler in your area. That'll be the easiest, fastest and probably cheapest solution. Otherwise, send 'em back to the manufacturer for a rehab.Kevin
    Cobblers are a dying breed. Shoes, like just about anything else are disposable today. Fire boots may fall into the category...

I would enquire if the warranty is still in effect or see if the manufacturer would repair them.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    Find a good cobbler in your area.

Kevin
    I like apple better than cherry cobbler
    just so you know.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

I wouldnt mess with it. Have you ever walked through hot wet garbage form a rubbish fire? Now do you really want that getting in your boot and on your feet? GO get a new pair. It sucks but the way boots are made its not really something that can be repaired.
    Good advice. One of the guys took a pair of my old leathers and had them restitched. Had a house fire two days ago, and the things now leak like a pasta strainer.

Forum Member

Default Change, change, change

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Good advice. One of the guys took a pair of my old leathers and had them restitched. Had a house fire two days ago, and the things now leak like a pasta strainer.
    Your boots will no longer be certified as compliant to NFPA 1971. Best thing would be to change boots. Try the new rubber boots from airboss, fit as good as our old leather boots (lacrosse & pro warringtons). They have been the best thing for our department. Better protection than any leather we ever had. We tried the new globe boots, but believe it or not the sole caught on fire... and started melting away...

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post

You guys are probably right repairing them may indeed turn out to be a mistake. But at $300 + a pair I gotta give it a shot. The chief order me a new pair about 6 months ago unfortunately they donít fit well at all, blisters after hour or so.
    I do appreciate all the suggestions though.

Thread Information