MembersZone Subscriber

Default For those who (don't) like heights!

The pucker meter is pegged.

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=13051

Forum Member

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Well for one, around here there would be a TON more trucks there. You can bet that my ***** would be tied off before getting on the wrong side of the truck as some of those guys are..... on second thought, did they tie the truck off to anything to make sure it didnt go over?

I wasn't there and you can't tell too much from the pics, so im not gonna Monday Morning Quarterback........but yeah, thats insane.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Truck driver was one lucky son-of-gun.

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that the vehicle has been properly assessed as to it's stability.

As to fall protection, I'm not sure what could be easily and practically rigged up in the situation.

And frankly, from the perspective in the photos it doesn't look very narrow -- I've hiked over areas that would've concerned me more.

It does take working as a team, and even dedicating someone as a "set of eyes" to make sure someone doesn't forget where they are.

My primary strategy would be to remove the roof and extricate the patient as rapidly as possible -- the sooner you get people out of the danger zone, the sooner the danger is past. The longer you dick around, the more opportunity you have for something bad to happen.

Forum Member

WHOA!!!!!

God was looking over him.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Huh?..........

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Well for one, around here there would be a TON more trucks there. You can bet that my ***** would be tied off before getting on the wrong side of the truck as some of those guys are..... on second thought, did they tie the truck off to anything to make sure it didnt go over?

Yeah, us too, on more apparatus..... I think I'd be Super sensitive and mandate fall protection for anyone on the "wrong" side of the Guardrail..... We have some SOPs for Roof Work that I'd refer to, since the "Sheer Drop, Sudden Stop" effect is the same......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post I dunno..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
    Truck driver was one lucky son-of-gun.

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that the vehicle has been properly assessed as to it's stability.

As to fall protection, I'm not sure what could be easily and practically rigged up in the situation.

And frankly, from the perspective in the photos it doesn't look very narrow -- I've hiked over areas that would've concerned me more.

It does take working as a team, and even dedicating someone as a "set of eyes" to make sure someone doesn't forget where they are.

My primary strategy would be to remove the roof and extricate the patient as rapidly as possible -- the sooner you get people out of the danger zone, the sooner the danger is past. The longer you dick around, the more opportunity you have for something bad to happen.

Couple of Points.....

Vehicle Stabilization and Fall Protection Rigging can be done off the base of the Guardrail posts, there are plenty of them available, and using multiple points to spread the load is easy.

Looking at the point immediately in front of the truck, there is a steep slope covered with loose gravel/dirt/whatever. I'd make that area "off limits" during operations as well.....

I'll bet watching the construction of that Storm Drain was interesting....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm thinking I wouldn't be the one sticking my head in the cab, the smell would likely be unbearable.

While I'm sure they did a good assessment on the stability of the truck, there's no way you'd find me between it and the edge for fear that someone could lean on it wrong or something and cause it to slide. I'm also thinking I'd be working to secure the truck before working on extrication and all. That's just me, though.

The driver definitely needs to count his blessings, I really don't see how in the world that thing was able to cross over the drainage pipe area without going on down.

Forum Member

Talking

A big set of brass cojones keeps firefighters anchored!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Holy ***** whata lucky SOB
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

And it could be my low experience level with low-angle ropes Harve -- I'm just looking at what seems to me would be quite interesting to manage the number of ropes / tie-offs that would be involved. Stabilizing the truck would be straight forward -- logging chains around the guardrail posts and both axles, and come-a-longs to take up the slack would be quite effective.

Part of what is going on in my mind too is knowing some areas with terrain like that are quite isolated -- your next due Engine might be 20 or 30 minutes away, never mind tech rescue resources.

Balancing risk with available resources is something that's done day in, day out.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Well one thing I see in the photos is this: the guys in yellow are on the UPHILL side of the truck. The fools err.. I mean folks in blue are on the WRONG side, but thats just my thoughts.

Take a closer look at the stuff at the bottom of the cliff... looks like maybe one or two others in the past were not so lucky. Or else that was just the junk in the box of the current vehicle.

Either way, if that was me in the driver seat of this truck I'd be buying up lots of lottery tickets cuz ya know ya just couldnt go wrong.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    if that was me in the driver seat of this truck I'd be buying up lots of lottery tickets cuz ya know ya just couldnt go wrong.....
    We took the opposing view, luck is all used up. Don't bother buying a lotto ticket, 'cause that cat just cashed in all nine lives at once!

55 Years & Still Rolling

Lightbulb Um, Yeah,...............

And it could be my low experience level with low-angle ropes Harve -- I'm just looking at what seems to me would be quite interesting to manage the number of ropes / tie-offs that would be involved. Stabilizing the truck would be straight forward -- logging chains around the guardrail posts and both axles, and come-a-longs to take up the slack would be quite effective.

Part of what is going on in my mind too is knowing some areas with terrain like that are quite isolated -- your next due Engine might be 20 or 30 minutes away, never mind tech rescue resources.

Balancing risk with available resources is something that's done day in, day out.

We agree, and I have a hunch that those who respond in this type of terrain have the appropriate training and at least minimal equipment to deal with this sort of incident. If not those who are members of the VFD, then certainly the Sheriff's Deputies are Trained in Rescue, and have some equipment. I have noticed that, West of the Mississippi, the Sheriff's Office seems to be the Lead agency in Rescue Operations quite often. Never happen here, but whatever works for them.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

IACOJ BOD

Harve.

Would it make sense to put a ladder up from the bottom for safety.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

At least they're on "solid" ground and not dangling from the side of a building or ontop a water tower.
    I don't like heights at all and would definitely be looking where I put my feet if assigned to the lower side of this.Before I made a move,I'd want that truck chained to the nearest building using log truck chains,though.

Forum Member

I have noticed that, West of the Mississippi, the Sheriff's Office seems to be the Lead agency in Rescue Operations quite often. Never happen here, but whatever works for them.....

Probably simply the huge, undeveloped areas between "towns" with a fire station.

A friend who grew up there told me about it, but until a vacation in California a while back I never could conceive of how black & white the state could be -- going from one house on top of another, to nothing but farm fields or forest instantly. The smallest firehouses I find in the Berkshires or Vermont are taj mahalls compared to some of the tiny stations I found in California -- one was a twin to my station...before it's 1953 addition!

Remember one that I found after driving 25 minutes on winding mountain roads...that consisted of a single bay in a horse stable with an insulated door as the "firehouse." Totally different world from what I'm used to, and I do live in a relatively rural area.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Huh??..............

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Harve.

Would it make sense to put a ladder up from the bottom for safety.

NO
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Remember one that I found after driving 25 minutes on winding mountain roads...that consisted of a single bay in a horse stable with an insulated door as the "firehouse." Totally different world from what I'm used to, and I do live in a relatively rural area.
    I know of a place just like that in Wyoming, near Devil's Tower. If it werent for the sign above the doors, I would have passed the station without even seeing it. Just a big red barn. I have pictures at home, I'll post it later. Although I suppose my old station wasn't much different a time or two ago. It started life as a quanset hut.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

[i]
    The smallest firehouses I find in the Berkshires or Vermont are taj mahalls compared to some of the tiny stations I found in California -- one was a twin to my station...before it's 1953 addition!
    Dal, if our Berkshires stations are Taj Mahalls to them, I'd love to see what they call LI stations out there.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Dal, if our Berkshires stations are Taj Mahalls to them, I'd love to see what they call LI stations out there.

Inconceivable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Snopes picked up on this and reports that this incident took place on State Route 59 near Hurricane City, Utah. They also added an aerial photograph which shows this was the lousiest place to roll the truck off the road.....

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/culvert.asp
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Yup I'd be the one on the road saying "good job guys" hah. Actually if I was really needed i'd just be sweating bullets! jeez.. lucky guy!

Forum Member

Talking I have my moments where I don't like heights ...butt.. I can handle it sometimes..

Its just nerv racking. personally but it probably would be a great sight to see me on a ladder on a firetruck someday ....

Forum Member

Talking

Maybe the guy had some wild idea about doing a little base jumping.

Forum Member

Talking Heights !!!!

Thats what my fire friends are for we all help each other. right!!!!!!! Heights can be over come in time....

Thread Information