Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ride outs

Forum Member

Default ride outs

out of you that have done a ride out with your truck or engine co, how many of you get to pull lines and fight fire and go cut 4x4s and all that good stuff. because a few years back when i was a Cadet i only knew of one district that let the cadets do all that.

Forum Member

we can do ride outs after we pass a test and after you hae been there a while. i have only gone on one but its fun

Forum Member

did you get to pretty much be a firefighter or did you just watch.

MembersZone Subscriber

we can do almost everything except go interior on a fire
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Default yeah

yeah i got to do everything that everybody else got to do on the truck! i did auto extrications, interior attack, ladder work, overhaul, and alot more! they pretty much counted me as man power on the trucks! i rode on heavy resuce, engine, ladder, and medic! so i got to do all that fun stuff!

Forum Member

1. whats a ride out and if ur on an exlp. or jr. post why dont they let u do it anyway..b/c on my dept. i get 2 do evrything but int. ff as it so yeah lol

Forum Member

Default ride outs

We are allowed to catch hydrants, fight brush fires, and hand tools to the firefighters. Also you can go to Medical Calls if you have 1st responder classes.... Other things when you ride with different advisers.

Forum Member

perez51, a ride out is where you go to your station and pretty much do a shift with the dept, most places you can start at 6 or 7am and you have to be gone by 10,11pm ish,it verys on time. And if your on a exlp. or jr. post most of the time they will not let you go interior because its a IDLH and if you got hurt or worst your dept would be in deep ****. firfightir is the 1st person i have ever heard of being a exlpore or jr that got to go interior.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by perez51
    1. whats a ride out and if ur on an exlp. or jr. post why dont they let u do it anyway..b/c on my dept. i get 2 do evrything but int. ff as it so yeah lol
    Ride outs are AKA ride alongs. Some post's SOGs/SOPs differ. Not all posts are the same. Like here, we can't do anything that puts us in danger (ie Interior Firefighting, touching patients on medical runs). On a fire scene alls we do is run tools up (I've never been called out so I can't really explain it).

To gain respect on the forums, use proper english. Just thoguht I'd let you know because some people on here really lay into people for not using proper grammer and such.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Our explorers must first demonstrate that they can handle themselves on a call and know what they are doing. Then they get an accountability tag that they give to the OIC of the truck when they get on. They do everything but go interior or enter a collapse zone. Of course they only get to ride hydrant seat on the truck. or in the back of the rescue.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default ride

once we are cleared or quized on the equipment and general knollage of the trucks we are allowed to respond to calls in POVs and all the trucks, I just cant respond to ems, hazmat, and MVAs.

Forum Member

oo truuu....so basicly u guys do wut i do jus about evryday ...but ya i cnt do int either..

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking We had a green one but the wheels fell off

Quote Originally Posted by perez51 View Post
    oo truuu....so basicly u guys do wut i do jus about evryday ...but ya i cnt do int either..
    And the next post will be in Swahili!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom View Post
    And the next post will be in Swahili!
    well sorry i am 2 lazy to type everyword out ..i take shortcuts lmao

Forum Member

I hope that you do not fill out job applications that way or you will be wondering "Y U "didn't get the job and not lmao.
    Most of the people that post here use standard received English because too many acronyms are different from place to place.

Forum Member

You'll be the one who will pay for it then. We're just trying to offer suggestions to save you from having problems with some of the senior guys (as in people that have been here for a long time) on here. They're the ones who will chew you out the most for doing it.

I don't find laziness funny.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    You'll be the one who will pay for it then. We're just trying to offer suggestions to save you from having problems with some of the senior guys (as in people that have been here for a long time) on here. They're the ones who will chew you out the most for doing it.

I don't find laziness funny.
    Zip it, newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Zip it, newbie.

Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

I would find it very difficult to believe that you would be allowed to do fireground operations as an Explorer or Cadet. Although some Cadet programs are a training ground for members to become FF. Explorers are just a job shadow and should not be involved in fireground operations.

If you are, either your department is very short staffed and violating some laws by allowing you to operate as a FF, or don't realize they are violating the laws. Either way a very sticky situation and the dept is liable if the Explorer/Cadet is injured. Most Explorer posts, members are part of the Boy Scouts for insurance only. If you do not have firefighting certifications you should not be allowed in ANY fireground activity.

Our dept Explorers can go on ride alongs, help carry bags, get stuff, but when it comes to a fireground or emergency scene, they are strictly observing. No fireground activities at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    I would find it very difficult to believe that you would be allowed to do fireground operations as an Explorer or Cadet. Although some Cadet programs are a training ground for members to become FF. Explorers are just a job shadow and should not be involved in fireground operations.

If you are, either your department is very short staffed and violating some laws by allowing you to operate as a FF, or don't realize they are violating the laws. Either way a very sticky situation and the dept is liable if the Explorer/Cadet is injured. Most Explorer posts, members are part of the Boy Scouts for insurance only. If you do not have firefighting certifications you should not be allowed in ANY fireground activity.

Our dept Explorers can go on ride alongs, help carry bags, get stuff, but when it comes to a fireground or emergency scene, they are strictly observing. No fireground activities at all.
    Remember, things are done differently everywhere.

Taken right from the learning for life website....

Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel.
    Explorers must be equipped with personal protective equipment that is appropriate for the activity being done.
    Explorers may be mobilized only as a post, with required leadership. Explorers are not on call as individuals.
    Explorers who ride on apparatus or other department vehicles must be seated and must wear a seat belt.
    Explorers may not drive department vehicles.
    Explorers may not climb aerial ladders.
    Explorers may not climb ground ladders that exceed 35 feet in length, or not supported against a structure.
    Explorers may not enter or perform ventilation procedures on a burning structure.
    Explorers may not use any tools or gloves on energized electrical equipment.
    Explorers may not operate cutting torches
    Explorers may not operate hydraulic rescue tools or equipment.
    Explorers may not handle life nets.
    Exceptions: Using an official training facility, the use of aerial ladders with the appropriate safety equipment, and entering a controlled burn building is approved.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information