1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default IAAI Annual Training Conference-Video

    The 2007 Annual Training Conference of the International Association of Arson Investigators will be held April 29-May 4, 2007 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. There will be an extensive training program with multiple tracks for investigaotrs form the public and private sectors, major case investigations and special interest topics relevant to Canadian investigations.

    This could be one of the most beautiful places on earth. If you want to attend the premier training conference in the field of fire investigation and network with investigators frmo all over the world, this is the conference for you.

    For a promotional video, as well as conference information, you can go to http://www.firearson.com/documents/document.asp?did=655.

    If you have any questions, please contact me ay wendtcfi@optonline.net.

    George Wendt, IAAI-CFI, CFPS
    Board of Directors
    IAAI

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    Cool!

    The Empress is a beautiful hotel, set against a stunning background!
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Cool!

    The Empress is a beautiful hotel, set against a stunning background!
    Sheri;

    I need your expert opinion. Flying into Victoria appears to be a very expensive proposition. The alternatives appear to be a flight from Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver to Victoria, Salt Lake to Victoria and a ferry ride from Seattle to Victoria. Which is the most economically feasible as well as most convenient?

    Thanks.

    George

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Sheri;

    I need your expert opinion. Flying into Victoria appears to be a very expensive proposition. The alternatives appear to be a flight from Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver to Victoria, Salt Lake to Victoria and a ferry ride from Seattle to Victoria. Which is the most economically feasible as well as most convenient?

    Thanks.

    George

    Well, without knowing the cost and details of all the various flights and what your travel preferences are ... you basically have to weigh the pros and cons of each option.

    1. Fly direct or connect through Seattle, SLC, Portland etc. to Victoria, Airporter shuttle is about $10.00 or $15.00 and probably takes 45 minutes or so to get downtown to the Empress.

    2. Fly into Seattle, probably have to stay overnight unless you're taking the Red Eye, as the ferry leaves at 8am, I believe. I would try to find a hotel with a shuttle from the airport and to the pier, or close enough to the pier for a short taxi ride in the morning. Think you have to be at the ferry at least 45 minutes prior to boarding. The Clipper docks within walking distance (a long block) of the Empress (depending on how much luggage you have).

    http://www.victoriaclipper.com/victo..._ferry_service

    http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=28

    3. If you fly into Vancouver take the PCL (Pacific Coach Lines) bus right from the airport to downtown Victoria. Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria is a beautiful trip. There's no waiting at the ferry, the bus drives right on, you get off and about 5 or 10 minutes before disembarking you go back down to the car deck to the bus and off it goes, no waiting for cars or anything like that. No fuss no muss. The PCL terminal in Victoria is within STEPS of the Empress.

    http://www.pacificcoach.com/

    So it all depends on how much time you have, and what is more important to you, convenience or cost.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 01-22-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Well, without knowing the cost and details of all the various flights and what your travel preferences are ... you basically have to weigh the pros and cons of each option.

    1. Fly direct or connect through Seattle, SLC, Portland etc. to Victoria, Airporter shuttle is about $10.00 or $15.00 and probably takes 45 minutes or so to get downtown to the Empress.

    2. Fly into Seattle, probably have to stay overnight unless you're taking the Red Eye, as the ferry leaves at 8am, I believe. I would try to find a hotel with a shuttle from the airport and to the pier, or close enough to the pier for a short taxi ride in the morning. Think you have to be at the ferry at least 45 minutes prior to boarding. The Clipper docks within walking distance (a long block) of the Empress (depending on how much luggage you have).

    http://www.victoriaclipper.com/victo..._ferry_service

    http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=28

    3. If you fly into Vancouver take the PCL (Pacific Coach Lines) bus right from the airport to downtown Victoria. Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria is a beautiful trip. There's no waiting at the ferry, the bus drives right on, you get off and about 5 or 10 minutes before disembarking you go back down to the car deck to the bus and off it goes, no waiting for cars or anything like that. No fuss no muss. The PCL terminal in Victoria is within STEPS of the Empress.

    http://www.pacificcoach.com/

    So it all depends on how much time you have, and what is more important to you, convenience or cost.

    I want convenience AND cost. You could come and pick me up!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    HAHAHA sorry, I don't drive.

    I actually was just coming back in to remind you that even though the flight to Victoria might be more expensive than to Seattle or Vancouver, once you add in taxi/shuttle/ferry etc. there might not be any difference in price.
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    Personally, for the least amount of hassle, I'd go for the Vancouver option. All you have to do is get yourself from the arrivals area to where the PCL bus leaves from.

    Sorry, I left part-way through the post to get a link ... this link has a map that shows the PCL pickup area at Vancouver International Airport.

    http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cf...8-7bb689b79c44

    Victoria's Airporter pick up is convenient also. But then you don't get to take the ferry between Vancouver and Victoria.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 01-22-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Seriously, thanks for the help.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    No prob
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    13

    Cool Spam

    Hey George WendtCFI, thanks for posting the Website for the conference. I got an e-mail from the IAAI but I think it was titled Victoria's Secret and I sent it to my spam blocker. Guess that explains the lack of e-mails from IAAI. Don't think I can afford to go all the way from from Michigan. It doesn't sound cheap.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    You are correct. It is an expensive trip. But you have to remember that the organization is called th INTERNATIONAL Association of Arson Investigators. My belief is that our organization has a responsibility to the membership to hold periodic Annual Training Conferences outside the 48 states.

    The quality of the educational program is a factor that some may want to consider when weighing the price.

    Hope you can make it!

    George Wendt, IAAI-CFI, CFPS
    Board of Drectors
    IAAI

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    There's no law that says you have to stay at the Empress in order to attend the conference.

    Staying at a different hotel would cut the cost considerably, I'm sure. Might be worth checking out.
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    RoughRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oyster Bay, NY
    Posts
    798

    Default

    George,

    I'm glad to see you back! I hope you make a habit of it.

    Best
    RR
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

    The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.


    IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HOUSTON walked away from this contract
    By Firewalker1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 01:34 AM
  2. Inquiry in to Driver Accidents Leads to New Training
    By SSTONER in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 01:50 AM
  3. South Carolina Agency defends Training Method
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:33 AM
  4. Looking for video downloads for training....
    By nmfire in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. CSR annual training
    By fergus in forum Specialized Rescue
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2002, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register