FH Mag/.com Contributor

Exclamation The Lone DHS Assumption

I meant to post this way back when I confirmed it, but that was in the middle of the upgrade they were doing and the forums wouldn't play nicely with me and some others. Details.

Anywho...DHS tells us over and over that they can't make assumptions based on our applications. Of course there is one exception that makes the rule: if you do not specify that you want to purchase used or remanufactured equipment in your application, the assumption is that you are buying new. In other words, you now must buy NEW equipment if awarded.

Refurbed or remanufactured with warranty does not meet the definition of new. You will end up with problems at a site audit.

There is nothing wrong with refurbed or remanufactured equipment or trucks. The problem goes to buying what you said you were going to buy. And if you don't say anything, that means you want to buy new.

Besides the fact that if you apply at new prices, buying at lower used prices doesn't help because you can't buy more anyway. If you apply for 12 SCBA, the only way you can buy more is through excess funds capped at $4999 federal share. The rest goes back to DHS or to Fire Prevention. I'm hearing of too many people thinking 'they gave me $80 for SCBA, I can buy however many I want'. Odds are that's no one that comes out here to the forums, but if you see or hear of anyone doing this better let them know before they get in trouble. A dept in Texas had to either cut a check for $20K to repay the money, or buy $20K worth of Fire Prevention stuff in a week after their site audit or their whole award was going away. Meaning leaving the station in a Uhaul.

Plus don't forget the Assurances at the end that state that any funny business will be referred to the US Attorney General. Do not play games, this is one you will lose every time.

Good luck on 2007, and get them done ASAP!

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

Default That bring up a good point - - Record Retention

You bring up a good point. Anyone who has been through a site audit....what records do you need to keep? I have been keeping a copy of the grant request, a copy of all bids, a copy of all of the invoices, a copy of all of the cancelled checks, and a record on the disposal of any old or outdated items that were replaced. Is there anything I am missing?
    Joe Fireman

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Nope, that's pretty much it. I'd keep it all in one binder (labeled of course) so that's it's easy to find and pull out for the audit. Every now and again they want to see budgets, so a copy of the last one might be something to toss in there to prove need also, but that's a rare occurence. Haven't seen or heard that requested in a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Files

I might add making a duplicate copy and keeping it at a different location - just in case!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The original stuff should be filed at the station, but as Tony G mentioned, i keep a duplicate of everything in my home files. My home files also contain all of my contacts and some resource items that i end up not using. The department file also receives copies of all the third party resource material that is used to support our case--census data, fire statistics, news articles, etc. If i state a FACT in the application/narrative, it's documented in the file.

earl (feeding the paper mites of the world!!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Have a section within your file for "Correspondence". Keep hard copies of e-mails sent and attach replies. If phones calls are made have a written document in the file with date, time, person talked to with phone #, item(s) discussed and outcome(s).

Thread Information