1. #1
    The One Behind The Radio
    fireturtle373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In my own little world,NC
    Posts
    23

    Thumbs down Now this is a real winner

    Tennessee Trooper Hits, Arrests Firefighter En Route to Call

    ............

    MELISSA DiPANE
    Courtesy of WATE-TV


    SEVIER COUNTY, Tenn.-- The Tennessee Highway Patrol is investigating whether a trooper went too far in forcing a firefighter answering a call to stop.

    Michael Huskey was in the family minivan with his wife and kids when he heard a call from dispatch needing an emergency driver to help a nearby ambulance.

    Huskey turned on his flashers and drove 85 in a 55 mile per hour zone when a state trooper tried to pull him over.

    Huskey radioed dispatch to call off the trooper but he says the trooper swooped in front of him, causing an accident.

    "Once he stopped my client, he found that out and yet he still handcuffed and arrested and investigated it further and took him to jail." says Jim Gass, Huskey's attorney.

    Huskey got a speeding ticket and was charged with failure to yield to lights and sirens.

    According to the report, the officer did not intend to crash into the minivan.

    Huskey will go before a Sevier County judge in a few weeks.

    Republished with permission of WATE-TV.


    To me this was his own stupidity...
    1. For driving 85 in a 55 with his kids in the car
    2. for not stopping for the trooper
    and
    3. for trying to get his dispatch to call off the tropper
    I mean come on.. use some dang common sense
    Capt. Brownie


    Remember our fallen brothers in Charleston
    God bless the Charleston 9 and the Salisbury 2

    Turtle Power

    GIT-R-DONE

    OUT OF MY MIND.... BACK IN 10 MINUTES

    [||]|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|==|
    _/-|]~|__|==|==|_{}|
    _|_! =_ ! ____---_++!|
    [|--(O)----==----(O)----]

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    I would have locked him up, too. In a heartbeat. Only I would have charged him with Child Endangerment. 85 in a 55 with your wife and kids in the car?

    It should also signal the last day this moron was a member of the FD.

    (This will be the point when several people chime in and explain how this idiot is a hero, the cop is a scumbag, how we should let cops who get shot on the highway rot there like deer carcasses, we're better than cops, etc. Note to those people: think very hard about how you would feel if you responded to a MVC in which a private citzen killed his kids because he was driving 85 in a 55.).

  3. #3
    The One Behind The Radio
    fireturtle373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In my own little world,NC
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I agree GW... He should be locked up and removed from the dept or at the least put on probation.... I'm a vollie myself and I know at lot of guys that would agree to this... its just uncalled for..
    Capt. Brownie


    Remember our fallen brothers in Charleston
    God bless the Charleston 9 and the Salisbury 2

    Turtle Power

    GIT-R-DONE

    OUT OF MY MIND.... BACK IN 10 MINUTES

    [||]|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|==|
    _/-|]~|__|==|==|_{}|
    _|_! =_ ! ____---_++!|
    [|--(O)----==----(O)----]

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    And giving the guy a warning to drive like a sane person would isn't a viable option?If someone is assigned to drive an emergency vehicle,would it matter if they are in a Pierce Enforcer or a Chrysler Town and Country minivan?

  5. #5
    The One Behind The Radio
    fireturtle373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In my own little world,NC
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I see where you are coming from Doug... I still don't agree with the guys action's.... It just don't look like he used his best judgement on this one...
    Capt. Brownie


    Remember our fallen brothers in Charleston
    God bless the Charleston 9 and the Salisbury 2

    Turtle Power

    GIT-R-DONE

    OUT OF MY MIND.... BACK IN 10 MINUTES

    [||]|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|==|
    _/-|]~|__|==|==|_{}|
    _|_! =_ ! ____---_++!|
    [|--(O)----==----(O)----]

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    gefd901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    141

    Default

    I would have locked him up, too. In a heartbeat. Only I would have charged him with Child Endangerment. 85 in a 55 with your wife and kids in the car?
    Good call George.

    (This will be the point when several people chime in and explain how this idiot is a hero, the cop is a scum bag, how we should let cops who get shot on the highway rot there like deer carcasses, we're better than cops, etc. Note to those people: think very hard about how you would feel if you responded to a MVC in which a private citizen killed his kids because he was driving 85 in a 55.).
    This FF = idiot/scum bag.

    A pat on the back to the trooper for doing the right thing.

    85 MPH in a 55 MPH zone would be unacceptable had he been in an emergency vehicle with lights and siren running. 85 in a 55 in your POV with your wife and kid in they care with you as asinine.
    I always try my best to approach a disciplinary meeting/hearing with one of my guys with an open mind and try and get all of the facts before forming an opinion. If this was one of my guys and the trooper had in fact clocked him at 85 in a 55 in his POV with his wife and kid in there with him, it would be extremely difficult to keep from forming an opinion before meeting with him.
    If the facts were indeed true, he would be history.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireturtle373 View Post
    I see where you are coming from Doug... I still don't agree with the guys action's.... It just don't look like he used his best judgement on this one...

    Maybe.But the article as posted didn't mention how far the THP guy followed him before making the stop.He could have just accelerated to 85 when he passed the trooper's location and the stop wasn't that much farther down the line.
    Nor does it mention road conditions,whether it was a curve or straightaway,etc, so we don't know from this.
    I'm not deciding the hero and goat designations.Just pointing out we weren't there and neither was the reporter.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    gefd901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    141

    Default

    And giving the guy a warning to drive like a sane person would isn't a viable option?If someone is assigned to drive an emergency vehicle,would it matter if they are in a Pierce Enforcer or a Chrysler Town and Country minivan?
    No, it would not be a viable option. If his judgment is so poor that he couldn't see the stupidity, recklessness, and carelessness of endangering his wife, his kid, himself, and the rest of the public by the actions he took, he needed something like locking him up for a wake up call.

    If he has such little regard for his own wife and child in his POV, how could you expect an individual like this to drive "with due regard for the safety of others" behind the wheel of an emergency vehicle?

    If one of my guys was clocked at 85 in a 55 running lights and siren in one of the department's vehicles, he never would drive for us again.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    775

    Default There were two idiots involved in this incident

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Maybe.But the article as posted didn't mention how far the THP guy followed him before making the stop.He could have just accelerated to 85 when he passed the trooper's location and the stop wasn't that much farther down the line.
    Nor does it mention road conditions,whether it was a curve or straightaway,etc, so we don't know from this.
    I'm not deciding the hero and goat designations.Just pointing out we weren't there and neither was the reporter.
    The FF should obviously not be going that fast with his wife and kids in the car (although I will point out that people who are NOT responding to emergency calls routinely travel 85, with their families in the car. I bet I could stand on I-93 with a radar gun and find 1000+ a day)

    But let's not lose sight of the blinding idiocy of a trooper going to this sort of length to make a traffic stop. I would be shocked if he was following his own agency's protocol in doing so.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    In my Dept we're not allowed to use any lights if there is anyone in the car besides ourself.

    Is it like that for other departments?

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    I am sure someone from the LEO divisision will correct me if I am out of line here, but I am pretty sure that in pretty much any country/county/municipality etc 30 mph over the posted limit no matter for what reason is a GOOD reason to make a traffic stop. Around where I grew up, those would be grounds for immediate suspension of drivers licence followed by a very hefty fine of DANGEROUS driving. Add to the fact that children were involved.... I would not want to be the fellow sitting in front of the Judge trying to explain that one away.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    The FF should obviously not be going that fast with his wife and kids in the car (although I will point out that people who are NOT responding to emergency calls routinely travel 85, with their families in the car. I bet I could stand on I-93 with a radar gun and find 1000+ a day)

    But let's not lose sight of the blinding idiocy of a trooper going to this sort of length to make a traffic stop. I would be shocked if he was following his own agency's protocol in doing so.
    Blind idiocy? Please state the sum total of your police pursuit training. If less than zero were an option, you would have it. Remember, the "swooped in and caused an accident" is from the idiot's statement, not a findingo f the official investigation.

    It makes no difference if you could find a million a day. This guy was doing it AND HE KNOWS BETTER! The trooper had complete probable cause to make this stop. He had complete probable cause for the charges.

    Why don't we talk about the balls on this guy thathe called his dispatch center to "call off the trooper"? Who does he think he is. I don't care what type of emergency he is responding to, he still has the absolute responsibility to obey all the traffic laws, including the laws that say you have to stop when an officer tries to pull you over.

    It is true that police officers have discretion on charging and writing summonses in most instances (most jurisdictions take awaythat discretion is cases involving domestic violence, for example). But the discretion to exercise courtesy rests solely on the officer. Most officers will gladly extend that courtesy to someone with a clean record who demonstrates respect for the law and for the officer. In this case, the idiot mayhave had a clean record, but obviously did not behave in a manner that would be deserving of professional (operative word) courtesy.

  13. #13
    The One Behind The Radio
    fireturtle373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In my own little world,NC
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I am sure someone from the LEO divisision will correct me if I am out of line here, but I am pretty sure that in pretty much any country/county/municipality etc 30 mph over the posted limit no matter for what reason is a GOOD reason to make a traffic stop. Around where I grew up, those would be grounds for immediate suspension of drivers licence followed by a very hefty fine of DANGEROUS driving. Add to the fact that children were involved.... I would not want to be the fellow sitting in front of the Judge trying to explain that one away.


    True True... Lets cuff'em and stuff'em ..... Where's Flash at?
    Capt. Brownie


    Remember our fallen brothers in Charleston
    God bless the Charleston 9 and the Salisbury 2

    Turtle Power

    GIT-R-DONE

    OUT OF MY MIND.... BACK IN 10 MINUTES

    [||]|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|==|
    _/-|]~|__|==|==|_{}|
    _|_! =_ ! ____---_++!|
    [|--(O)----==----(O)----]

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    scvfd412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    170

    Default

    I think that this guy didn't use his head. 85 in a 55 is excessive to go drive a ambulance. The police in my area will allow 5 miles over, and hold true to it. He put his wife and kids in danger and had the odasitey (sp?) to call dispatch to 'call the trooper off'??? WTF - I don't care if I'm going to a 3 alarm structure fire, if I have a officer turn his lights on me, I'm going to stop. You are doing the department no good in jail.

    And I agree he should be put out of that department. That type of disgrace is definately not tolerated where I come from.

    It's volunteers like him that give volunteers as a whole a really bad reputation.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

    VSFFA Member

    "I'm a CCEMT-B."

    "Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

    "A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    emtbff927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central Texas
    Posts
    331

    Default

    According to our policy, we are only supposed to drive a maximum of 10mph over the speed limit with lights and siren. Also, if an officer is attempting to pull you over going code, you pull over (POVs and trucks). The officer is looking out for everyone's safety and might see something the driver doesn't.

    I'm not sure the officer should pull in front of any vehicle going 85mph. The likelyhood of being run into is just a tad too high. I know little of law enforcement operations, but this just doesn't sound too bright.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Blind idiocy? Please state the sum total of your police pursuit training. If less than zero were an option, you would have it. Remember, the "swooped in and caused an accident" is from the idiot's statement, not a findingo f the official investigation.

    It makes no difference if you could find a million a day. This guy was doing it AND HE KNOWS BETTER! The trooper had complete probable cause to make this stop. He had complete probable cause for the charges.

    Why don't we talk about the balls on this guy thathe called his dispatch center to "call off the trooper"? Who does he think he is. I don't care what type of emergency he is responding to, he still has the absolute responsibility to obey all the traffic laws, including the laws that say you have to stop when an officer tries to pull you over.

    It is true that police officers have discretion on charging and writing summonses in most instances (most jurisdictions take awaythat discretion is cases involving domestic violence, for example). But the discretion to exercise courtesy rests solely on the officer. Most officers will gladly extend that courtesy to someone with a clean record who demonstrates respect for the law and for the officer. In this case, the idiot mayhave had a clean record, but obviously did not behave in a manner that would be deserving of professional (operative word) courtesy.

    Yes, blinding idiocy. Probable cause doesn't enter into it, and you know it. I agree the guy should not have called his dispatch. Please notice that I stated there were TWO idiots involved.

    As I said, I would be shocked if the trooper's own agency protocols allowed this. Anyone here actually familiar with TSP SOP's?

    Some jurisdictions don't even allow hot pursuits of felony robbery suspects any more. While that is obviously going too far, the point is that a simple risk/benefit calculation needs to apply in this situation as in any other. Which places these kids at greater risk, the guy going 85 or the trooper causing an accident?

    Obviously, this assumes that the account above is correct in its essentials. I don't know that it is. But you don't know that it is not.

  17. #17
    former FH.com member

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    860

    Default

    I don't know that I'd go so far as to call the FF in question a "scumbag", but he sure showed a lack of good judgement. The police officer was well within his rights to stop him for the safety of the public. Since when is 85mph a safe speed for emergency response? (whether in a fire apparattus or a minivan with family)

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck View Post
    I don't know that I'd go so far as to call the FF in question a "scumbag", but he sure showed a lack of good judgement. The police officer was well within his rights to stop him for the safety of the public. Since when is 85mph a safe speed for emergency response? (whether in a fire apparattus or a minivan with family)
    I don't think anyone is disputing either that the FF was an idiot or that the trooper had the right to pull him over.

    I'm just saying that if the account above is correct (and obviously it is one-sided and may not be) than the troopers actions in forcing the stop are questionable.

    As always in these situations, no one on this board really knows what happened, and we should probably wait for the investigation to be completed before totally making up our minds.

    But the notion that it is OBVIOUS that the trooper did nothing wrong is apparently not shared by his own agency.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    BFDNJFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    The guy is an idiot and should have stopped.



    PS. Way to hijack my ladder truck fireturtle !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

    ------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Maybe 85 is faster in other places, but depending on the highway it's not all that extraordinary here - at least in my experience. Many people drive that fast and there doesn't need to be an accident to stop them. I'd be interested in the details of how the cop "swooped in and caused an accident". To wreck a car and risk injury to everyone on the road seems pretty extreme to stop a speeder who isn't even going all that fast. I wish there were more details - although it says the officer did not intend to crash into the minivan. Sounds like he might have been doing a little reckless driving himself!
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 01-22-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  21. #21
    The One Behind The Radio
    fireturtle373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In my own little world,NC
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    Yes, blinding idiocy. Probable cause doesn't enter into it, and you know it. I agree the guy should not have called his dispatch. Please notice that I stated there were TWO idiots involved.

    As I said, I would be shocked if the trooper's own agency protocols allowed this. Anyone here actually familiar with TSP SOP's?

    Some jurisdictions don't even allow hot pursuits of felony robbery suspects any more. While that is obviously going too far, the point is that a simple risk/benefit calculation needs to apply in this situation as in any other. Which places these kids at greater risk, the guy going 85 or the trooper causing an accident?

    Obviously, this assumes that the account above is correct in its essentials. I don't know that it is. But you don't know that it is not.
    ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO
    Capt. Brownie


    Remember our fallen brothers in Charleston
    God bless the Charleston 9 and the Salisbury 2

    Turtle Power

    GIT-R-DONE

    OUT OF MY MIND.... BACK IN 10 MINUTES

    [||]|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|==|
    _/-|]~|__|==|==|_{}|
    _|_! =_ ! ____---_++!|
    [|--(O)----==----(O)----]

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mistake On The Lake
    Posts
    470

    Default

    I will say this, I know of a few places where LEO's are not allowed hot pursuits anymore. However, a hot pursuit is not a simple speeding stop. A hot pursuit is over a considerable distance, at a high rate of speed, for a prolonged period of time. It does not entail a trooper, or other LEO, pulling out into traffic, lighting the guy up, and then trying to get him to pull over.

    The trooper causing the accident is the only part in question here, not whether he was justified in the stop to begin with, he obviously was. If we knew why he ended up in front of the car, it'd be a big help.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Knowlesville (Heights), NY
    Posts
    177

    Default removal at the least

    85 mph in a POV with children on board
    some above state 2 idiots involved, probably 3, 90% the firefighter (soon to be ex-firefighter, I surely hope!), 9% the wife for not makining him 1. drive sanely, 2. stop for the trooper, 3. immeadiately find his chief and have him turn in his gear, and 1% the trooper, if he was contacted by radio and knew where this idiot (ex-Ff) was going could have continued to the hall and taken him down hard like he deserves, instead of whatever he did to contribute to the accident.
    Children (plural) so multiple charges of indangering the welfare of a child, plain old reckless driving, faliure to yield, speeding 30 mph over the limit, he should end up in jail let alone out of dept. and fined up the wazooo....
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    When the hell did George start posting again!?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  25. #25
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Lightbulb And..........

    As others have said, we weren't there. And so, we shouldn't be throwing stones all over the place (snowballs maybe, particularly around here today) I'll wait for the investigation to conclude........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. First real Flashover/Rollover
    By VollieFireman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 12:28 PM
  2. 1st Real Fire
    By MARY016 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 02:14 PM
  3. Time to target the real threat
    By MIKEYLIKESIT in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
  4. NFPA for the REAL world
    By Double_Local in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2001, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register