Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bay Area Fed

Forum Member

Cool Bay Area Fed

Hi everybody, my name is John and I am new to this site. I have been viewing posts frequently for about a year and a half, but have only recently decided to post. So here goes, I am 22 years old and have been testing for over 2 years now. Still no 'dice', but I am not a quitter. Anyways, I heard from a friend of mine that testing with a fed dept. is a little bit easier than applying to the bigger depts, atleast around here that is (SF Bay Area). He told me there are a lot less applicants. My question is does anybody know if this statement is true in regards to fed depts. in the Bay Area? I am a senior at Sacramento State, have my EMT cert, and am currently in a private Fire Academy. I would love to get hired any where in the Bay Area. Any tips or advice you all have in regards to getting on with a fed dept. in the Bay Area is greatly appreciated. Especially if it's in or near SF as it's always been my dream to live or work there. Thanks for your time everybody, God bless

-John

P.S. I have no military experience. Thanks again

Forum Member

You can contact Coast Guard Petaluma Fire Department and San Francisco Presidio Fire Department about their hiring process and applicants. Those two depts. you do not need IFSAC certs to get hired, just California certs and county EMT accredited.

Forum Member

Default Fed Fire jobs in Bay Area

Johney,

I hope you get a chance to read this response. Yes it is less competitive to get on with the Fed Fire departments. However, you must apply for entry level jobs because you do not have the Department Of Defense recognized certs. Even at the entry level, it will be toughg to get picked up without the certs. You may have to go to school on your own dime and get the 4 basic certs, just to get youe foot in the door. Your other option is to apply for temp or term positions all over the USA and then once you get hired, get the certs in house.

I worked at Camp Parks Fed Fire in Alameda County. If you want to work there, I am more than happy to forward you some email contacts. Chief there is one of the coolest guys you will ever meet. I just left so there will be an opening soon enough. Also, they are a paramedic ALS provider, so if you have your medic license, you may not need the DOD fire certs to get hired. A GS 9 medic there makes about 80k a year on a 72 hr wk. (2 on 3 off)

Kev

Forum Member

Default D.o.d

yes it is a little easier but not to many are hiring permanents right now but most are hiring temps. I'm not sure if trace army depot is hiring but N.A.S lemoore is hiring temps right now. all that require is C.P.A.T and E.M.T, you can find info @ DONHR.navy.mil let me know if you need any more help good luck !

Forum Member

Default Fed Fire in the Bay Area

Be very careful about going to NAS Lemore. They offered me a temp job, but I turned it down because of RIF threats. Members of there department warned me about cross staffing apparatus, and how that would spell the end for all temps. I also heard Presidio of San Fran might lay some guys off too. But last I heard, that is not going to happen. You also have NWS Concord which is going army, Camp Parks (My old base and excellent place with an awesome Chief), Sierra Army, Tracy, Monterey, and Fort HUnter Liggett. Liggett is good, but Chief really makes the guys work hard and train hard, everyday. But he is very cool overall, especially if you are pro active about training.

Take care,

Kev

Forum Member

Cool

Post above:
    (" Chief really makes the guys work hard and train hard, everyday. But he is very cool overall, especially if you are pro active about training".)

I can't believe I'm hearing this right. Not to sound harsh, but if I have someone on my crew that does not want to train dailey and be a hard worker (slug, aka: Old Fed). They are left behind and have no business in the fire service.
    As I mentioned the two fed depts. ( Bay Area) I posted above in my earlier post. They are the most municiple type Fed Dept. you are going to find.

JohnnySF- I am a career, muni. FF in the bay area and a former fed. Firefighter. I so had to chime in on this one. Here we go...

1st- You are so shooting yourself in the foot to focus only on the bay area fed. jobs. I tell guys here all the time- "Think outside of the bay area..." they still dont get it.

Why? If youre testing for a career job and only focus one one geographic area, you are really selling yourself short or "no dice" as you put it. There are hundreds of non bay area federal jobs out there. Why are you set on one specific place?

Lastly- The bay area is just too damn expensive and you'll never be able to afford a home on the federal wages. Again- THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BAY AREA!

2nd- Make one master job application and use it for multiple federal job openings. Dont be a dumb *** like me and re-type every application for everyjob like I did in 1990. (I wish I knew then)

3rd- Find out where the jobs are. Let me clue you in, the best job site is here- www.fedworld.gov Click on the employment icon, top left.

Feel freet o PM if you need more help. I would consider applying other places in CA. MCLB Barstow is always looking for good people.

Lastly- I have a couple of good friends in high places in the fed system- The Presideo and Barstow. Let me know.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-12-2007 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Member

Default Engineer 2000

Sorry, let me re-phrase my previous quote. We all love to train, but not when the Chief micro manages everything we do. When you work at a slower base, training is the only way to keep the skills up. But, when I make an error, I want to be diciplinned by my Captain, and no one esle.

Hope this clears things up,

K

Forum Member

Red face

Ok, makes sense.

Forum Member

Wow, haven't checked this topic in a while I really appreciate all the great posts. All the info here is great. I'm graduating from college in a year and I'll have my BS, FF1, and EMT. I'd like to test now so hopefully once I graduate I might have a job. Any depts. you all recommend is very much appreciated. I'm going to apply every where but I'll be honest I want to improve my chances so I'm going to apply to every Fed FD I qualify for. Thanks again for the help everybody.

Forum Member

Default JohnySF

Hey man:

Just talked to Captain at Camp Parks in Alameda County. They are hiring a few guys and I want you to apply. If you are interested, give me your email and I will send you the address for there station. I will also send the Chief and Captains an email to let them know you are interested. They have i ALS paramedic engine and several wildland units. There is also a ton of new development going that they are responsible for. A second engine is a possibility in the future, or maybe a quint. Apply for this one. Heck, apply for everything because its tough to get in.

Kev
    Former local F305, Camp Parks Fire

Forum Member

arff42: You were at CP?

Work with Pansoy, Legget? Landry? Are they still there? IWhere do you work now?
    Last edited by devildog4; 09-29-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Forum Member

Default Devil Dog 4 Camp Parks

Hey Devil Dog4:

I worked at Parks in 2005 and 2006. I now work at Plant 42 in Palmdale, CA. When I came to Parks I actually took Ponsoys place. Landry is still there. Never knew Leggett, but heard of him. It was a great place to work.

Kev

Forum Member

Default arff42

Plant 42? DoD contract?

I just posted on dodfire.com the job posting for Area 51. shhhh...it's top secret!

What happened to Pansoy? I am guessing he went to Concord NWS maybe?
    Last edited by devildog4; 09-29-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Forum Member

Default arff42

arff42, Thanks a lot for the heads up I'd love to apply. My email is wilki1985@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot for the help everybody, wish me luck!

-John

Forum Member

Default Camp Parks

Nope, Plant 42 is private contract with Pyramid Services. We are all members of IAFF local I25. As an enrtry level firefighter I recieve the equivilent of GS7 pay, but on a 56 hr week (2/4). There is sooooo much OT, that it is very easy to make lots of extra pay. I probably average at least 56 hours OT a pay period. Plus if our sleep is interupted, another 8 hours of OT. Sick leave and Annual are paid out too, if you do not use them. We also get 144 hours of Holiday leave every year. You can get paid out if you choose not to use it, but not until you resign or quit.

Regarding Parks, Mr. Ponsoy I believe just retired from firefighting, but is working some sort of job to pass the time. Mr. Landry expresses interest in going to NWS Concord for a GS8 Captains spot. He will probably get it. He was offered a Captains position at Fort Hunter Liggett, but turned it down.

Kev

Forum Member

Default JohnySF

No access to my email at work. I will be off on Sunday and will send you the Parks info as soon as I get home. I will also contact the Captain and Fire Chief to put in a good word for you. Best thing you can do is email them or call and ask to come down and introduce yourself. Seeing a face to the name is huge points. It also expresses a lot of guts because you are walking into the unknown, and they know that. Trust me, going down in person will look very good. Have a 1 page resume on nice paper, and wear suit and tie. Leave the compettiters in the dust.

Kev

Default Fire station numbers Please

Folks,
    Wow do i see some names from the past, NAS Alameda, Camp Parks, been there done that. Hi all my homies, the Green Groeser found the Federal talk forum, is where we do all our bickering amd winning??? LOL..
    Hey guys looking for a few numbers and names working at Tracy Army Depot, and NAS Lemoore, Marine Core Logistics. You guys who have been around a while now the names I need, One of my firefighters is getting out of the Army and is heading home looking to get a job at either of the two, so i needs a little help from the mighty powers. If someone can help me out, you would be helping a super great guy get back where his little girl lives.

Thanks,
    Capt. Joe Groeser
    Ft Lewis Fire and Emergency Services
    Joe.Groeser@us.army.mil
    wk# 253-967-2714

Thread Information