Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post OK, Thanks..............

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    This is the first time that they have hired for the position of "fire recruit" and required a paramedic certification as a condition of further employment as a firefighter.

Why I asked, I am familiar with a major East Coast department that tried this some years back, then dropped it. They hired a couple of classes, then as the three year mark approached, many of these folks left for other departments, where they would not have to become medics. Cost the FD a lot in training expenses, etc, plus they suddenly started having a lot more vacancies than anticipated.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

UllrichK - Its public information. Pass it on however you like. I just had to throw that initial "unofficial" comment in there because I work there and everyone is laibility scared.

Chief Harve - sent you a pm.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    ...the city counsel just passed an ammendment to the City Charter allowing all fire and police new hires in the next two years to maintain residency within Shelby County, not the city.
    That's not a bad move. Of course, in a few more years, Memphis will have annexed the rest of Shelby County anyway, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    ...I thought the Maximum age thing was no longer legal under federal age discrimination laws....
    Not only do we have it here in Arkansas, it's state law. The interesting thing is that while the cut-off is 32 years for firefighter, there is no age cap for police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt45 View Post
    It say that you need 2 college english classes. Is that by the application date or time of hire?
    thanks
    That struck me as funny.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I just found out that you can mail your app to city hall. I have a friend who lives in North Pole Ak. who is applying. They said he can just mail it in.
    Lt. Dan Harris
    Rescue Co. 3
    Memphis Fire Dept.
    danharris@iaff1784.org

I have a correction to make about the original post. I originally thought Feb 2 was the cut-off date to apply. This NOT the case. Applications are available through Feb 2nd. Completed packets must be re-submitted by Feb 9th. That gives everyone an extra week.

Also, people applying from long distances are being allowed to submit the packet my mail. Call the number and discuss your particular circumstance to HR and they will guide you through.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    Yeah, but that means a trip by train, plane, or automobile to memphis from wisconsin. And that's pretty expensive on my measly wage.
    Stay in Wisconsin then. You probaly wouldn't like Memphis any way!! Too progressive for most folks!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You probaly wouldn't like Memphis any way!! Too progressive for most folks!
    Yeah I always hear that about the South - how progressive they are!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Default job offer

To anyone on the department that can help, I have a couple questions.
    I recieved a call today from the department offering me a conditional offer of employment for the Fire MEDIC position contigent on me passing the medical and PAT. They said I would be in the academy starting on March 5th if I pass. I was wondering if you could provide me some info on what I can expect from the academy, like curriculum and any other info. Also, what I can expect once on shift. Am I going to ride the box everyday, or am I going to get some engine time? I live for fire and don't mind being a medic if I have to, is this the right spot for me?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Stay in Wisconsin then. You probaly wouldn't like Memphis any way!! Too progressive for most folks!
    No,the Mayor and most of the ciy council just have their heads somewhere too nasty to mention in this family paper.
    One of them was on the local news griping about the amount of overtime paid to firefighters who have to work extra due to shortfalls in manning.
    I think the city council and the Mayor should have to explain why they aren't grateful to those that risk life and limb to keep people's bad days from getting worse.

Thread Information