+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread: Almost done....

Forum Member

Cool Almost done....

So I am almost done with Goodfellow, next monday I will be in block V. I am not sure where I am going yet as far as an assignment. I am thinking I will be back at Nellis. So is there anyone out there that is framilar with what they usually do with 3 level SSgt's? Will I go right out on a crew?

Forum Member

Congratulations!!! You're almost there.

Hazmat is boring, but ARFF is a blast. So at least you have one more good block to look forward to.

Now on station assignments. You should be assigned to a crew as soon as you get to your unit. Most guys on the active duty side at my unit start out on the "Crash" trucks. You will begin learning your vehicles and working on your CDC's/Multimedia for your five level. Of course, as a SSgt, you will be expected to kick it in high gear to get there. Once you get your five level, you should be promoted to "driver", and eventually move up to "crew chief" once you have a little time under your belt. (I am reserve, but I have seen what goes on at the active duty side of the fire station.) I could almost swear that they had a cross-trained TSgt come straight in as a station captain (could be wrong though).
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 01-23-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Worldwide Menace

How ya been loving the weather down here? been crazy, huh? enjoy Block V, but you'll have a blast in Block VI.. (I'm in Block VI now, graduating next Friday.. Class 061019)

Make sure you study in Hazmat.. that stuff will kill ya.

-Damien

Forum Member

Glad to hear you are making it through USAFSSGT. I will be going 24 April. Is there any helpfull tips you can give me so I can make it through as well? I heard there is a 25% washout rate. I dont want to be one of them.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by Futurefiredawg View Post
    Glad to hear you are making it through USAFSSGT. I will be going 24 April. Is there any helpfull tips you can give me so I can make it through as well? I heard there is a 25% washout rate. I dont want to be one of them.
    what's up futurefiredawg?

Work on your Cardio workout, though you shouldn't have any problem if you're coming from right out of bootcamp. keep your nose clean... learn as much as you can in classes... Keep as much heart about you as you an as the evaluations may sometimes test your endurance to go on. i'm not the biggest guy out here. my arms are actually quite skinny.. (all my weight got distributed when i was in the Navy) :lol:.. Work on your legs and be ready to drag around 165# "victims" in the ARFF portion of the school. (Block VI)uhmm.. be ready for changes... be ready to wake up at 4:00am.. enjoy as much as you can when ya get here.. it's the best job in the world. oh.. and be ready for the heat.. especially since you'll be here during the summer months at the end of school.. any more questions, feel free to PM me here and ask.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT View Post
    So I am almost done with Goodfellow, next monday I will be in block V. I am not sure where I am going yet as far as an assignment. I am thinking I will be back at Nellis. So is there anyone out there that is framilar with what they usually do with 3 level SSgt's? Will I go right out on a crew?

Whats up? I am stationed at Nellis at the FD... do you have orders yet?? if u come back to Nellis, be ready to be a crash truck junkie while ur doing ur upgrade...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
    Whats up? I am stationed at Nellis at the FD... do you have orders yet?? if u come back to Nellis, be ready to be a crash truck junkie while ur doing ur upgrade...
    Actually no, I dont have orders now. Hopefully I will have some good info tomorrow. My friend that I am here retraining with already has orders back to Nellis. He is done this wend. I am done the 27th of Feb. There is another guy here that is also from Nellis he wants to go to Peterson. How is the SSgt manning looking at Nellis. I have a feeling we are all going to be back there.

Is crash truck a bad assignment?

Forum Member

Except for long, boring standbys, not really.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Actually no, I dont have orders now. Hopefully I will have some good info tomorrow. My friend that I am here retraining with already has orders back to Nellis. He is done this wend. I am done the 27th of Feb. There is another guy here that is also from Nellis he wants to go to Peterson. How is the SSgt manning looking at Nellis. I have a feeling we are all going to be back there.

we have 2 cross trainned staffs on my shift, not sure about the other shift. We have a bunch of staffs, and a few of us are going to be putting it on within the next 6 months..

crash side sucks! its boring, and stand bys do suck... just tell ur friend to hit the floor running, and get his training done, but to learn his job, and dont act like a staff, act like a young airman who is fresh, and ready to learn. if he brings himself out like a dickhead staff and tries to pull rank, he will get rejected by the shift quite fast and will prob hate work. we can care less about the stripes on the arm of someone, its how you work, and your willingness to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
    we have 2 cross trainned staffs on my shift, not sure about the other shift. We have a bunch of staffs, and a few of us are going to be putting it on within the next 6 months..

crash side sucks! its boring, and stand bys do suck... just tell ur friend to hit the floor running, and get his training done, but to learn his job, and dont act like a staff, act like a young airman who is fresh, and ready to learn. if he brings himself out like a dickhead staff and tries to pull rank, he will get rejected by the shift quite fast and will prob hate work. we can care less about the stripes on the arm of someone, its how you work, and your willingness to learn.
    My buddy just stopped by on his lunch to inform me, all of us are going back to Nellis. Well, where ever I end up I am going to make the best of it and if its crash, oh well you have to crawl before you can walk. Plus I love this **** so I will be happy no matter where I go. As far as the pulling rank issue, I highly doubt seeing that being an issue with myself or the other two guys. We are all very professional and laid back. I can only speak for myself on this one, but one of my major concerns with retraining was getting the training from guys who had been around. Like I said before I love this ****, the more I learn the better. On the flip side of that, I hope I dont end up under someone that doesnt care to put in the work to train me. I really look forward to getting out there and meeting you fellas.

Do you ever work out at station 2 by the bomb dump? If so I am the guy that drove the black Silverado SS from the bomb dump. I had stopped by there a few times to BS with the guys working there. Oh and the guy you were talking to months back about the F-16's thats my buddy Nic he graduates this wendsday. Good man, went through tech. school the first time with him.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is a TSgt here at RAB that PCSd from SJ (I think). He cross-trained from Green to Blue and came into 3E7X1 as an E-5. Believe it or not, I have (4 yrs/SSgt select) had more time in firefighting than he has, but because of his attitude and willingness to learn (as stated above), he has pretty much been accelerated through (still fulfilling his certification requirements) to become one of our distriict chiefs. Very smart guy and knows alot about USAF Fire Protection; as well as firefighting in general. Point is, take the advice, learn like a motivated airman, and you'll do just dandy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Except for long, boring standbys, not really.
    Ok sorry fellas here is one of the first of many questions you will think is silly, what is a long, boring standby?

Forum Member

standyby's, or as we call them, Hardstands, are basically when your crash crew goes out to a designated point on the runway and watch the planes take off and land for a couple hours at a time. It was cool when i first got to base, but got old REAL quick. The point of it is that if there is an emergency, your already there....but many times an emergency is called while the aircraft is "in-flight", so you're going to be ready anyway. PLUS, most ARFF stations are back to back with the runway, so your not saving TOO much time...but i guess its all good...just boring...

Forum Member

Ok sorry fellas here is one of the first of many questions you will think is silly, what is a long, boring standby?
    How many guys are comming to Nellis from tech school?? 3 crosstraines? all staffs?

The standbys at Nellis are not that bad, we dont have to sit there at watch A/C take off and land, all the standbys I have been on were for F-15 or 16's running up the engines.. only about 30-45mins. I have not been up to station 2, i am allways at station 1, but that can change as they are moving guys aroud every 6 months now.
    When you guys get to Nellis, we got a Airman named Fogarty, he is nuts, so watch out. he is training to be a cage fighter and is Irish. he is B shift so pray to get on A shift. good luck... dont look him directly in the eyes.

just ask around about him when you get there. SrA Fogarty is his name

Permanently Removed

I'm deployed with that Fogarty dude right now. He already ****ed up 3 guys while we've been here. Two of them were cops and one was our deputy. I stay away from this dude every chance I get. Can you say PSYCHO!

When you guys get to Nellis, we got a Airman named Fogarty, he is nuts, so watch out. he is training to be a cage fighter and is Irish. he is B shift so pray to get on A shift. good luck... dont look him directly in the eyes.

just ask around about him when you get there. SrA Fogarty is his name[/QUOTE]

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I was part of the Nellis FD

Don't let that last post get you down, but that is the general attitude of both shifts at Nellis. I was stationed at Nellis for three years and I made staff while I was there. What he did say about rank is true and Nellis is the only base I have been at where the airmen blatantly disrespect NCO's and get away with it. One of them stole my car while I was on shift and burnt it out towards Apex.

Forum Member

Awesome, I cant wait someone to spar with. Do you know what gym he fights out of in Vegas and what weight class? Whats his first name? I might know him from the gym.
    Last edited by USAFSSGT; 01-30-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFFDSUCKS View Post
    Don't let that last post get you down, but that is the general attitude of both shifts at Nellis. I was stationed at Nellis for three years and I made staff while I was there. What he did say about rank is true and Nellis is the only base I have been at where the airmen blatantly disrespect NCO's and get away with it. One of them stole my car while I was on shift and burnt it out towards Apex.
    This one time one of my troops ****ed me off. So I beat him down, stuffed him in the trunk of his car, set the car a blaze, pushed it off Hoover dam. You dont know me son.

Forum Member

Default Hey

I went through the academy with Fogarty, in fact he was my roommate. He was a great guy and I still keep in contact with him. It's funny that he's doing cage fighting, i'm training in mma as well; focusing on boxing.

Tell him Blaise said what's up and that i'll smoke his *** any day.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater316 View Post
    I went through the academy with Fogarty, in fact he was my roommate. He was a great guy and I still keep in contact with him. It's funny that he's doing cage fighting, i'm training in mma as well; focusing on boxing.

I'm calling the BS flag on that on, there squarejaw...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    what's up futurefiredawg?

Work on your Cardio workout, though you shouldn't have any problem if you're coming from right out of bootcamp. keep your nose clean... learn as much as you can in classes... Keep as much heart about you as you an as the evaluations may sometimes test your endurance to go on. i'm not the biggest guy out here. my arms are actually quite skinny.. (all my weight got distributed when i was in the Navy) :lol:.. Work on your legs and be ready to drag around 165# "victims" in the ARFF portion of the school. (Block VI)uhmm.. be ready for changes... be ready to wake up at 4:00am.. enjoy as much as you can when ya get here.. it's the best job in the world. oh.. and be ready for the heat.. especially since you'll be here during the summer months at the end of school.. any more questions, feel free to PM me here and ask.

-Damien
    Thanks for all the info Damien. I am actually retraining into Fire, I am a communications troop right now. I have been hitting the gym pretty good since October. Im 6'0'' and weight 163, so I am definately nowhere to being a big guy. I will have an advantage though being here in Colorado, the altitude change will help with the cardio. But I will indeed work my legs pretty hard. Thanks again...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hey

The academy is a joke.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater316 View Post

Dude, I remember he used to pin you to the wall with a chair and he used to make you ask for permission to come into the room.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Join a volunteer Dept

I to was an AF FF back in the dark ages during my first 4 year tour then was cross trained thanks to Palace Balance. The dark ages is when Chanute was still open, re-engined P-2ís were new, we still fought pit fires with contaminated fuel, not natural gas and the instructors took pride in eliminating half their class from Rescue school. I was fortunate enough to be a well-trained volunteer prior to enlisting so my transition was easy. The only suggestion I have is to join a Volunteer Dept wherever you are stationed. This was you can truly get some real world experience and put the training to use. I joined one of the Sacramento County Dept as a reserve paid on call member. With them I got to actually due all the things I had been trained for and use my EMT. Call expereince is what will make you a better FF.
    Good Luck

Forum Member

Default Haha

Yea dude, that was me! When I was 150 anyway...
    Still, let him know i'll smoke his *** when he gets back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information