Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Default This is why we watch our backs..

Okay, while this doesn't involve any emergency vehicles, the van struck could easily have been an engine, ambulance or..well any of us.

http://www.trendpimp.com/media/848/E...e_Highway.html

I don't have enough fingers or toes to count how many times I've almost been clipped.

Forum Member

I've still got all my fingers and toes despite working on the river for 7 years,a job that you meet a lot of guys named"Three Fingers fill-in-the-blank".
    There have been a few times where I'd be assigned to traffic and have to shove a rookie member off the shoulder and then dive for it myself.
    At least once,I've tossed a flashlight at some driver who wasn't mesmerized by all the pretty flashing lights,but too busy yammering on their cell phone to notice them at all.
    Yes,I've been told that flinging a light isn't going to get me on the promotion list anytime soon,but I'd rather be around to see it posted.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I've still got all my fingers and toes despite working on the river for 7 years,a job that you meet a lot of guys named"Three Fingers fill-in-the-blank".
    There have been a few times where I'd be assigned to traffic and have to shove a rookie member off the shoulder and then dive for it myself.
    At least once,I've tossed a flashlight at some driver who wasn't mesmerized by all the pretty flashing lights,but too busy yammering on their cell phone to notice them at all.
    Yes,I've been told that flinging a light isn't going to get me on the promotion list anytime soon,but I'd rather be around to see it posted.
    I tossed my clipboard at one lady....not proud of that, but she got the hint. I think I almost bought it five times on new years eve alone.

Forum Member

God Bless the Ohio Highway Patrol and what they're willing to share:

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/newsroom/video.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190 View Post

The OHP is great......and extremely intimidating. I would love to work for them.

In a couple of months I bet my Psychology teacher will be in one of those videos.......she hit a trooper pulled over for a traffic stop a few months back. Luckily the trooper was not injured, she was transported though.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Is she recieving counseling?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Good god! That should be mandatory viewing for every driver, at least once a year.

And for fire recruits as well....teach us to keep that head on a swivel. Some of those troopers made some incredible moves to escape injury.

Forum Member

There's some great shots.

Three things to consider:

1) Firefighters & EMS generally aren't trained to have the same level of "Situational Awareness" as Police Officers. We're looking for what the building is going to do to hurt us, not whose coming out of the corner of your eye.

2) Try jumping out of the way like the Troopers managed to do on some of those...while wearing bunker pants and crappy rubber boots.

3) Now try jumping out of the way while wearing bunker pants...and overcoming the normal moment's hesitation of dropping the equipment or patient you're carrying first.

There's some great shots.

Three things to consider:

1) Firefighters & EMS generally aren't trained to have the same level of "Situational Awareness" as Police Officers. We're looking for what the building is going to do to hurt us, not whose coming out of the corner of your eye.

2) Try jumping out of the way like the Troopers managed to do on some of those...while wearing bunker pants and crappy rubber boots.

3) Now try jumping out of the way while wearing bunker pants...and overcoming the normal moment's hesitation of dropping the equipment or patient you're carrying first.

That's why proper blocking with big fire trucks gives you pretty good protection. If they hit something, it will usually be the engine. Not 100% but as close as you are going to get.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

All good videos, all of which show the importance of always watching your back... It is a wonder why more people don't drive with their heads.

Thread Information